Def Leppard - Hysteria

There is a certain itch that only Immortal can scratch  :abbath:

I think they scratched it for me by the end of side A  :laugh:

Ulver- Nattens Madrigal on now. That's three up-tempo blasters in a row. Enslaved and Ulver pack a lot more dynamics into the equation I think.

Coroza: Chaliceburner.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 20, 2021, 09:13:14 AM
Quote from: ochoill on February 20, 2021, 03:20:02 AM
I used to be convinced leviathan was best and hated crack the skye on release.  Now it's the absolute opposite, CTS is my favourite followed by blood mountain, rest in a various order after.  CTS is the world's greatest slow burn album.

I guess you love your eclectic madness maybe more than anyone else on the forum, because Blood Mountain is the only one I struggle to really get into. It would be bottom of my ranking for that reason. Could you give a brief run down of what you dig about it? Might help me approach it with different ears.
I think I mostly love that it was right on the shift of their style of songwriting.  The album feels very raw and ragged still, like Leviathan and Remission, but is showing heavy elements of where they would end up on The Hunter in retrospect.  The ideas on it are fairly experimental for what they were at, but there's a very playful feel off them because they are trying something novel that makes them work well, to my ears at least.  They're not afraid of a riff on it but are willing to pull the carpet out from underneath you in every song, in any direction - more or less melodic, straightforward or progressive, doesn't matter.

It also is the last album they did that had a more subdued production style, everything after that was much cleaner and overblown in both terms of the mix and the arrangements - not a bad thing mind, just a different beast.  I think they nailed the concept they were aiming for on it, since it was supposed to be a sort of 'earth' themed album and they managed to keep it sounding well rooted in their sound (but with plenty of new ideas incorporated) and sounding very organic by comparison to their other albums.

That's just me trying to think it out of course, it mostly sits well for me because it was first enjoyed at the right time and place, and never fell out of a high standing with me.  I was looking forward to it a lot after Leviathan and though I expected a very similar album with their rise to popularity, instead they went fairly sideways on it but managed to stay every bit as interesting and vicious.

First major label album too, that would have had some impact on the budget at least. It certainly feels more relaxed, sprawling, laid back and pressure free than the previous two.

Enslaved: Vertebrae.

Quote from: Carnage on February 21, 2021, 01:46:01 AM
First major label album too, that would have had some impact on the budget at least. It certainly feels more relaxed, sprawling, laid back and pressure free than the previous two.
Absolutely.  Relaxed and Sprawling are perfect descriptions of it, but they managed to lose no agency in their approach all the same.

#4343 February 21, 2021, 02:05:45 AM Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:26:35 AM by Carnage
Quote from: ochoill on February 21, 2021, 01:52:32 AM
Quote from: Carnage on February 21, 2021, 01:23:58 AM
Coroza: Chaliceburner.
Deadly album too.

'Tis indeed, I have yet to see them live, I imagine their stuff would really shine onstage. Ciaran's a local lad too, sound head.

The new suffering hour, as good as expected

Morbus chron - Sweven. Had listened to the new sweven (band) album once enjoyed it but accidentally put this on the next instead a few times instead. Best mistake I've made

Bought horselips - the rain, wishbone ash - Argus and genesis - selling England by the pound vinyl recently. Each one perfect for a Friday beer and smoke

Remission and Leviathan yesterday after Call of the Mastodon. Hardly need to comment on either at this stage. Remember a day trip to Dublin getting Leviathan amongst others and a heap of mushies when you could still buy them in the head shops. Good times.

Marduk - World Funeral

Quote from: nukeabuse on February 21, 2021, 02:59:57 AMBought horselips - the rain, wishbone ash - Argus and genesis - selling England by the pound vinyl recently. Each one perfect for a Friday beer and smoke

Prog on ! Each one deadly.

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains.

Haven't had this one on in a while. It's still ripping anyway.

Despite knowing the name for years, finally gave Candlemass - E.D.M a proper whirl. This should have been in my life much sooner.