I used to be convinced leviathan was best and hated crack the skye on release.  Now it's the absolute opposite, CTS is my favourite followed by blood mountain, rest in a various order after.  CTS is the world's greatest slow burn album.

#4322 February 20, 2021, 03:28:29 AM Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 03:32:01 AM by ochoill
Most recently:

Ruins of Beverast - "The Thule Grimoires"
Slift - "Ummon"
Fearing - "Shadow"
Cardiacs - "Sing to God"
Thom Yorke - "Anima"
Lingua Ignota - "All Bitches Die"
Helms Alee - "Noctiluca"
Divide & Dissolve - "Gas Lit"
Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill PSX OST
Genghis Tron - the two songs released off "Dream Weapon" so far

Quote from: ochoill on February 20, 2021, 03:20:02 AM
I used to be convinced leviathan was best and hated crack the skye on release.  Now it's the absolute opposite, CTS is my favourite followed by blood mountain, rest in a various order after.  CTS is the world's greatest slow burn album.

I guess you love your eclectic madness maybe more than anyone else on the forum, because Blood Mountain is the only one I struggle to really get into. It would be bottom of my ranking for that reason. Could you give a brief run down of what you dig about it? Might help me approach it with different ears.

To chime in there, BM is also my least listened to out of those earlier ones. I don't know why either, I like what I know of it but haven't ever gone back multiple times to it to really dig in. It's definitely very out there alright in terms of experimentation. Remission, Leviathan and CTS are head and shoulders above the rest for me.

Blood Mountain though is definitely one of those albums that divides opinion, for some it seems to be well up there as their best to second best album.

It'd be top 3 for me. Apart from Bladecatcher it's great.

I loved Blood Mountain when it came out. Soon after one of my friends pointed out all that he hated about it and now I can't unhear those parts so it's been shelved.
Leviathan, Crack The Skye and The Hunter are excellent.
Once More Round The Sun is good . The last one is boring. It had nothing to make me want to listen to it again.

Today is all about Unleashed.

I love it all. BM would be bottom of the bunch but I've been warming to it more in recent years. Love the last album as well.

Been said numerous times I'm sure as I have a tendency to repeat myself but had CTS and AoP - White Tomb on constant rotation for weeks when they came out. Can't remember the last time I put on White Tomb.

I don't think Mastodon have made a bad record, but the last one showed they're probably getting into that phase where a band has found their sound and isn't going to do much more progressing.

The first four are all 'modern' metal classics imo,  The Hunter is underrated too, I reckon most people who give it shit haven't even listened to it but just judged it on Curl of the Burl, there's a lot of brilliant songwriting on it, Stargasm, Blasteroid, Thickening, the title track etc.

Have Call of the Mastodon on now. Gonna go through the catalogue.

Nocternity- A Fallen Unicorn.

Satanic warmaster - Fimbulwinter

#4332 February 20, 2021, 09:51:50 PM Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:09:47 PM by Eoin McLove
Enslaved- Blodhemn. 

Ripping album. It's a high tempo beast but also,  in typical Enslaved fashion, a riff- fest.

Stained Class tonight with a few rums.

Occult Burial's previous album and the Burzum debut after this.

Immortal- Battles in the North.