Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 23, 2019, 04:44:39 PM
Weird. Just reading your earlier (shocking!) comments about not having checked out Horrendous yet, say to myself I must set you straight (for your own good), and what am I listening to for the first time ever? A Michael Romeo solo album, The Dark Chapter as it happens. Instrumental guitar virtuoso stuff is some of the best work music for what I do.

Anyway, Horrendous are simply excellent, all their albums, but on Idol they take the plunge full on into Cynic and Atheist levels of prog metal. Up to now, they were somewhat more like a proggy Carcass.
Romeo is something else. I've been meaning to check his stuff out since seeing Symphony X at Bloodstock a couple of years ago. I usually go for Jazz trios for work music but am trying to heavy things up a bit and his stuff hit the spot nicely.

In my defence, I did have the Horrendous bandcamp page bookmarked (alongside a load of others added over the years which I intend to find time to check out eventually)

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
White Zombie - Astrocreep 2000

All the recent comments on White Zombie had me revisiting this and it's still hugely enjoyable. The tour of White Zombie and Pantera together really was a great bill. I miss the 90s....  :laugh:

Lucifer in the Sky with Diamonds - The Shining One

A Russian rock band worthy of a decent bodyguard.

Of feather and Bone  latest one,Lots of Slough feg recently,and a bit of more recent Behemoth stuff.

Rush - Hemispheres

It's complicated.

When I first got into Rush (and I went down the rabbit hole by buying maybe 12 albums in one go) I found Hemispheres to be the most difficult, but it's probably my second favourite of theirs now, fucking love it. It's such an involved listen, great album to get lost in.

Today's listen on the way to work was Blood Incantation - "Interimdimensional Extinction". That bass tone.

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi

Quote from: John Kimble on January 22, 2019, 06:45:17 PM
Failure - Fantastic Planet

Completely bypassed these guys first time around, so I'm not sure if I'm digging this because of a misplaced sense of nostalgia or because the tunes are genuinely great...fuck it, I'm tending towards the latter at the moment
For those unfamiliar...

https://youtu.be/RVCcKHsmn4w
Savage album.  Also completely missed these lads when I was younger somehow, and only ended up discovering them properly about 5 or so years ago.  Still need to listen to their newer albums to see how they hold up.

uSSSy - "Voyage"
Really lethal stuff.  A Russian instrumental 3-piece playing eclectic sort-of noise rock with a baritone microtonal guitar.  Influenced heavily by a sort of arabic/indian music structure and melody.  A good bit like Secret Chiefs 3 but snappier and heavier.

Deicide - Overtures of Blasphemy
Maybe this should be in the controversial metal opinions thread but this album kills. Reminds me of Once upon../Serpents.. era melodies and a bit groove'n'blast. Haven't bothered to keep up with them since Stench..so  was surprised at this.
Malokarpatan- Nordkarpatenland
Modern classic.

Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy
One of the best Thrash albums ever.

Iced Earth - Horror Show,  Barlow at his peak

Trials - This Ruined World

I should listen to this more frequently.

Bal-Sagoth - A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria

Katatonia - Night Is The New Day.

'The Longest Day'...What a tune!

Quote from: Weltenfeind on January 26, 2019, 11:59:54 PM
Deicide - Overtures of Blasphemy
Maybe this should be in the controversial metal opinions thread but this album kills. Reminds me of Once upon../Serpents.. era melodies and a bit groove'n'blast. Haven't bothered to keep up with them since Stench..so  was surprised at this.
Im one of the few people that likes the album too,plenty of decent tunes on there.