Quote from: Juggz on August 12, 2020, 10:34:28 AM
S/t and Stench do it for me. The s/t seemed demented when it came out, I had never heard anything like it. It fucking reeked of genuine nastiness in a way nothing else I'd heard at the time had done. I got talking to Benton outside McGonagles when they played on that tour, when the inverted cross on his forehead was still a fresh wound, and he turned out to be quite humble and sound which took some of the mystique away  :laugh: They were fucking savage live, too. Whatever happened in customs, there was no armour or gimmickery like the rest of that tour, just them playing and they were genuinely ferocious. Cancer were supposed to support but didn't show up. Deicide played all of the first album and one song which, I think, ended up on Legion, which hadn't been recorded at that stage. That was it, about 40 minutes of music and goodnight  :abbath:  Legion is class but not as good as the s/t, not by a long way. The rest, they're alright but I got the feeling they were mining the same hole until Stench, which, as Ducky says, is an unbelievable fluke. It is a fucking brilliant album, such a shame they couldn't come close to matching it since.
Was at that gig too. Was quite testy outside beforehand from what I can remember?

Ulthar - Cosmovore
Nightfell - Darkness Evermore
Nick Cave & the Badseeds - Live from KCRW

Quote from: Ducky on August 12, 2020, 08:53:36 AM
Their "Jesus bad" sthick was old before the end of the first record, it's fucking cringey to hear a guy in his 50s telling us how much he hates the wee holy fella.

Is he really though? I got the impression he has mellowed a bit in this regard, which is kinda borne out by interviews like this

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/soundcheck/2018/09/10/deicides-glen-benton-talks-biking-in-tampa-writing-about-satan-aging-in-death-metal-and-more/

Anyway, so what. It's a bit much to be singling out Glen Benton in a genre such as death metal for coming out with outlandish statements in the past.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 12, 2020, 12:04:41 PM
Are we still, in the year 2020, crying about Glen Benton not committing suicide at 33? I mean,  fucking really? Jesus...

You mean death to Jesus  :abbath:

It was a genuine question more than anything. I don't know or care enough about Benton/Deicide to have a firm grasp of his past shenanigans.

No it wasn't, it was clearly a rhetorical question based on something that would be fairly common knowledge among anyone with a passing interest in metal. And genuinely, if you don't know or care about Deicide, then why are you critiquing their recorded output? You're obviously more than familiar with them.

No, I was asking for confirmation is that what he said purely out of my own curiosity as I read something in Terrorizor moons ago and couldn't recall.

And the reason I have some sort of knowledge of Deicide is I checked them out but I didn't take to their output. I can't form an opinion on something without actually spending some time with it. If I think a band is crap then I've spent some time seeking out and listening to their records.

Why am I critiquing them? Sure it's a discussion forum.

The S/T is an iconic metal album,generally in every death metal fans top 3 all time.

Legion is fucking savage!!!! Stick with it.

The last few days.....

Disrotted ‎ "Cryogenics "
Herukrat "Songs of Religious Devotion"
Interior One "Revenge Against Society"
Crawl of Time "Moments of Pleasure. Years of Pain."
Scorn "Café Mor"
Impaled Nazarene "Suomi Finland Perkele"
Intensive Care / Incinerated "Split EP"

Chlanna Nan Con Thigibh A So's Gheibh Sibh Feoil

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 12, 2020, 09:59:16 AM
Best Deicide for me is 'Amon: Feasting the Beast'. First one I heard by them as a kid and the first DM album I got into.  It's vicious.

Same. The weird production and Glen sounding like satan in the remixes are surprisingly good.

The best of Deicide album that roadrunner put out is on regular rotation for me too.

Legion is a classic!!! The guitar tone of those first albums , mid all scooped out . Ferocious stuff. My kids say it sounds like bees buzzing around a shouting bear

Ya, I've had Legion on repeat since yesterday. It is a vicious little beast of a thing and it's perfect. Dunno why it never clicked before.

I remember the Deicide self titled coming out. What a savage album but I was always a bit uncomfortable listening to them.

Maybe try a different chair.