Nox Inferi - Adverse Spheres

Quote from: Scáthach on August 11, 2020, 04:45:51 PM
https://illomenvoid.bandcamp.com/album/the-grande-usurper

This may interest those currently enjoying the new Temple Nightside. It was the solo BM project of TN mainstay IV, but the above has the same line up as on the current TN album. VK doing solos and BR of Grave Upheaval on vocals. The ep was heavily influenced by DMDS era Mayhem.

Started that before but can't remember anything about it. Some of the previous Ill Omen I've listened to was great.

Converge - "Axe To Fall"
Type O - "World Coming Down"

Nothing new here but two fuckin greats all the same.

Nychts - Und So Gehen Wir

Recently listened to deicide s/t for the first time, anever cared before as only had heard homage for Satan.

Been on repeat since.

Listened to legion during the week but didn't click. Miss the production, insane vocal lines, shrieks of the s/t

Is serpents worth checking out?

2x for the rope sect post earlier also

Serpents is their best album by far for me, definitely check it out. The production in particular, really suits their music. Once Upon The Cross just behind it, get on that one next.

The self titled is decent, but it's musically a poor re-write of Reign in Blood. The Stench of Redemption (aka the greatest fluke in metal) is their only really good album, mostly down to Ralph Santolla.

Their "Jesus bad" sthick was old before the end of the first record, it's fucking cringey to hear a guy in his 50s telling us how much he hates the wee holy fella.

Ah lad, the S/T is a fucking masterpiece. I'd hold Serpents and Once Upon the Cross in the same regard. Legion never clicked in the same way with me.

Have that Ill Omen album on now and it is indeed very DMDS. Another one that fits that bill is Cornigr - Relics of Inner War but it has a bit more individual character than this.

Best Deicide for me is 'Amon: Feasting the Beast'. First one I heard by them as a kid and the first DM album I got into.  It's vicious.

S/t and Stench do it for me. The s/t seemed demented when it came out, I had never heard anything like it. It fucking reeked of genuine nastiness in a way nothing else I'd heard at the time had done. I got talking to Benton outside McGonagles when they played on that tour, when the inverted cross on his forehead was still a fresh wound, and he turned out to be quite humble and sound which took some of the mystique away  :laugh: They were fucking savage live, too. Whatever happened in customs, there was no armour or gimmickery like the rest of that tour, just them playing and they were genuinely ferocious. Cancer were supposed to support but didn't show up. Deicide played all of the first album and one song which, I think, ended up on Legion, which hadn't been recorded at that stage. That was it, about 40 minutes of music and goodnight  :abbath:  Legion is class but not as good as the s/t, not by a long way. The rest, they're alright but I got the feeling they were mining the same hole until Stench, which, as Ducky says, is an unbelievable fluke. It is a fucking brilliant album, such a shame they couldn't come close to matching it since.

Quote from: Ducky on August 12, 2020, 08:53:36 AM
The self titled is decent, but it's musically a poor re-write of Reign in Blood. The Stench of Redemption (aka the greatest fluke in metal) is their only really good album, mostly down to Ralph Santolla.

Their "Jesus bad" sthick was old before the end of the first record, it's fucking cringey to hear a guy in his 50s telling us how much he hates the wee holy fella.

I agree about his sthick, as you call it, getting old. He is also the guy that said he'd be dead long before 50. 
I can't agree about Stench of Redemption, it's a decent album, but its definitely not their best... that honour goes to Serpents Of The Light, followed closely by Once Upon The Cross.

Quote from: open face surgery on August 12, 2020, 09:16:20 AM
Ah lad, the S/T is a fucking masterpiece. I'd hold Serpents and Once Upon the Cross in the same regard. Legion never clicked in the same way with me.

Have that Ill Omen album on now and it is indeed very DMDS. Another one that fits that bill is Cornigr - Relics of Inner War but it has a bit more individual character than this.

The Grand Usurper is a strangely straight forward one for Ill Omen. But it's VK on guitar solos and BR of Grave Upheaval on vox so I thought some might enjoy it along with the new Temple Nightside.
My favourites of Ill Omen would be Ae.Thy.Rift (slow motion BM), and Enthroning the Bonds of Abhorrence. Enthroning is much more layered, melodic and mid paced.

Didn't he say he'd out-Jesus Jesus by being dead before 33? All a gimmick to appeal to lunkheads that wouldn't know what satanism was if it straddled their faces.

I couldn't listen to either of those albums if you were paying me to do so.

Are we still, in the year 2020, crying about Glen Benton not committing suicide at 33? I mean,  fucking really? Jesus...

:laugh:

Quote from: Scáthach on August 12, 2020, 11:22:00 AM
Quote from: open face surgery on August 12, 2020, 09:16:20 AM

The Grand Usurper is a strangely straight forward one for Ill Omen. But it's VK on guitar solos and BR of Grave Upheaval on vox so I thought some might enjoy it along with the new Temple Nightside.
My favourites of Ill Omen would be Ae.Thy.Rift (slow motion BM), and Enthroning the Bonds of Abhorrence. Enthroning is much more layered, melodic and mid paced.

I remember listening to both of those and enjoying them but never went back to them. The first one, which I ended up throwing on rather than The Grand Usurper, is savage. That was the one I was most familiar with.

More excellent new death metal here: https://question-chaos-records.bandcamp.com/album/reflections-of-the-void