Leprosy has always been my least favourite. It lacks the feral attack of SBG, and, well, James Murphy's leads on SH.

That said, I am a total Death fanboy, and even as my least favourite album of their's it's still a 9.5/10.

Crazy talk, I've never heard anything that comes near it. Still has the punk/thrash influences in the riffs but to a more intense degree. Sheer insanity in the vocals. The crunch of the guitars and the snappiness of the drums go really well with that.

That Inanna album is fairly savage,between that and the new BI tracks it's keeping me busy!

Quote from: Carnage on September 27, 2024, 05:00:46 PMCrazy talk, I've never heard anything that comes near it. Still has the punk/thrash influences in the riffs but to a more intense degree. Sheer insanity in the vocals. The crunch of the guitars and the snappiness of the drums go really well with that.

I liked Chuck vocally the most on the first four, in order. Riffs are majestic. Leads have that sloppy but unhinged energy to them. I dunno, I think it's Bill Andrews' drumming that drags it down. He's not as feral or aggressive as Reifert was on SBG, and the drums don't sit great in the mix either (I've the same complaint with SH to be fair).

Me saying I like it the least is like a classic car collector saying they like their Ferrari Testarossa the least - still a stone cold classic that most artists could only dream of hitting the heights of. Gonna lash it on now with a beer  :abbath:

#14464 September 28, 2024, 03:04:35 AM Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 11:48:55 AM by Eoin McLove
Evilfeast- Funeral Sorcery.
Blood Incantation- Starspawn.
Slidhr- White Hart!
Bretwaldas of Heathen Doom- Summoning the Gatekeepers.
Metallica- The Black Album.

Venenum- Trance of Death
Sweven- The Eternal Resonance

Midnight Force - Severan
Iron Maiden - Legacy of the Beast - Live in Mexico City
Iron Void - Doomsday
Old Man's Child - Ill-natured Spiritual Invasion
Hate Forest - Hour of the Centaur

Quote from: The Wretch on September 27, 2024, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 27, 2024, 02:20:08 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on September 27, 2024, 10:26:35 AM
Quote from: Maggot Colony on September 27, 2024, 09:20:12 AMDeath - Leprosy

This ^

And rather splendid it is too. Still the absolute business.

I hadn't listened to the first 2 albums in years. Thought they might sound a bit tame, but they kicked my arse again.

Yeah, they have lost none of their power.

Threw on a couple of Death albums a few weeks ago and I had half forgotten how fucking savage they were but I wasn't long being reminded. Think Human is my favourite but it's a revolving door and there's nothing bad in there at all.

Had Burzum - Filosofem on again today in the car and it amazes me how nobody could ever catch that atmosphere of Burzum with all the fans in the world. Just amazing how he hit that particular nail in the head

Immortal- Diabolical Follmoon Mysticism.

As far as Death goes (while people are talking about them), I have the first 4 albums which are the best. My favourite nowadays is Spiritual Healing. For some reason could never get on with the later releases, far too technical and the vocals started to sound too raspy. RIP.

Pestilence: Consuming Impulse  (CD)

Morbid Angel: Blessed../ Gateways..  (CD)

Blasphemy: Fallen Angel of Doom  (CD)

Quote from: leatherface on September 29, 2024, 01:06:33 PMAs far as Death goes (while people are talking about them), I have the first 4 albums which are the best. ... For some reason could never get on with the later releases, far too technical and the vocals started to sound too raspy.

This. Symbolic is also decent, a bit more back to basics but I've never been bothered enough about it to actually buy it. I cannot abide the other two, widdly bollocks from start to finish. TSOP is one if the worst things I've ever heard.

SAXON - The Eagle Has Landed
WHITESNAKE - Live... In The Heart Of The City
IRON MAIDEN - Fear Of The Dark
DEMON - Night Of The Demon
DEMON - The Unexpected Guest
UFO - The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent.

The Paul 'Tonka' Chapman UFO albums don't get near enough respect IMO. So many great tunes. And it can't be easy to follow Schenker, but Tonka did really well and was great player in his own right. His lead work on tracks like 'Profession Of Violence' was fucking savage.

Iron Maiden: Somewhere In Time

38 years old today!

Paroxsizhem - Warpit of Coiling Atrocities
Paroxsizhem - Abyss of Excruciating Vexes

Quote from: Carnage on September 29, 2024, 01:15:28 PM
Quote from: leatherface on September 29, 2024, 01:06:33 PMAs far as Death goes (while people are talking about them), I have the first 4 albums which are the best. ... For some reason could never get on with the later releases, far too technical and the vocals started to sound too raspy.

This. Symbolic is also decent, a bit more back to basics but I've never been bothered enough about it to actually buy it. I cannot abide the other two, widdly bollocks from start to finish. TSOP is one if the worst things I've ever heard.

The controversial opinions thread called :abbath: