KISS - Monster

Negative Plan - The Pact
Sabbat - Envenom
Sabbat - Evoke
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon

Hate Forest - Justice
Armagh - Exclamation Point
My Dying Bride - A Mortal Binding

Quote from: open face surgery on July 20, 2024, 10:32:12 AMFormulas is incredible. That comment may have had the most involved response from any on here. Great to see.

I'm genuinely surprised at how controversial an opinion it is  :laugh:  :abbath:

Funnily enough mentioning Formulas, my favourite Sandoval moment is on it, namely the intro to Chamber of Dis.

FAITH NO MORE - Introduce Yourself
FAITH NO MORE - Live At The Brixton Academy
JIM MARTIN - Milk and Blood

Never checked out any of Jim's solo stuff. Worth it?

Quote from: open face surgery on July 20, 2024, 03:38:02 PMA,B,C is a much better run, in my opinion.

For years I thought Abominations Of Desolation was their first. That's another ripper. The production makes it for me. Altars is the one I listen to the least.
Some parts remind me of Emperor which is always good.

#13702 July 20, 2024, 10:56:08 PM Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 11:40:35 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 20, 2024, 09:46:06 PMNever checked out any of Jim's solo stuff. Worth it?

There are some great riffs as you would expect, and he clearly had the germ of some good tunes, plus he still has that signature guitar style and sound going on, which is enjoyable. But honestly, a lot of it feels like rough drafts of material that might have turned up on something released between The Real Thing and Angel Dust. It just makes me wonder what the others could have done with his ideas. 

Someone with a more powerful or varied vocal approach would have been a good idea too. His voice is pretty likable actually, and works well on the punkier tracks, but isn't strong enough to really lift the rest of the songs.

Also, he does his own take on Surprise Your Dead, which is just a weaker version of the original, and The Navigator by The Pogues, which is just a misguided punk reading of the track.   

So it's definitely not a classic or anything, but it has a certain charm to it all the same. I mean, I always find myself listening to it whenever I've been spinning the albums from his era of FNM, so there must be something to be said for it.   

#13703 July 20, 2024, 11:05:45 PM Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 11:14:26 AM by ijnjnijnilijbibbjknkjbjkk
A,A,B,C,D,F i reckon you could extend that run both ways. I've completely neglected Gateways so cant comment. 

Goatlord - Reflections of the Solstice
Tormentor - The 7th Day of the Doom
Sadistic Intent - Ancient Black Earth (Comp)

#13704 July 21, 2024, 12:13:32 AM Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 01:38:09 AM by Eoin McLove
Death- Scream Bloody Gore.
Moss- Sub Templum.
Unholy- The Second Ring of Power.

Quote from: Circlepit on July 20, 2024, 10:11:11 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on July 20, 2024, 03:38:02 PMA,B,C is a much better run, in my opinion.

For years I thought Abominations Of Desolation was their first. That's another ripper. The production makes it for me. Altars is the one I listen to the least.
Some parts remind me of Emperor which is always good.

It is, it just wasn't released until years later. Revision aside, it's fantastic and I'd rate it above Altars, if pushed.

Quote from: The Wretch on July 20, 2024, 10:56:08 PMSo it's definitely not a classic or anything, but it has a certain charm to it all the same. I mean, I always find myself listening to it whenever I've been spinning the albums from his era of FNM, so there must be something to be said for it.   

Well all that's commendation enough to give it a decent listen anyway. Cheers man

#13707 July 21, 2024, 05:58:03 AM Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 06:04:59 AM by Thorn
Helloween - Keepers Of The Seven Keys I 9.5/10
A little on the short side especially if you take out the intro and outro but the tracks in between are all gold from the then very, very freshfaced Germans.

Sigh - Shiki 8/10
Isn't it just the cutsiest album title ever? It's gotta be a Pokemon character or something. Actually it means Four Seasons and the opening riff should be deified.

Ephel Duath - Pain Necessary To Know 8/10
If I remember correctly the band toured with Dillinger previous to recording this and it shows. Headphones are mandatory for this one.

Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred 7.5/10
Extreme Hatred? Hmm, who could these boys be influenced by. It's a belter though especially if you wanna hear Kreator without the big, crowd baiting choruses.

Orange Goblin - Science, Not Fiction 7/10
Five listens online, starts off like a house on fire, second half kinda loses me but overall any Goblin is good Goblin. Said the bishop to the...

Grave - As Rapture Comes 6.5/10
The one where they covered Alice In Chains. That raised an eyebrow!
From a band not known for raising eyebrows. In fairness the rest of this isn't bad at all. It's just....Grave.

Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Chipping away at a few bits and pieces here to a soundtrack of DM debuts. So far:

Deicide - s/t
Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back To Life
Bolt Thrower - In Battle There Is No Law
Possessed - Seven Churches

Autopsy - Severed Survival, Mental Funeral  :abbath:

Rory Gallagher - Jinx.
Winterhawk - Revival.