#13005 May 24, 2024, 09:04:43 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 09:06:21 PM by Thorn
Metallica - Kill 'Em All 10/10
Right mood, right day ,I could well say this is my favourite of all time. Also one of the posters that caused most parental consternation back in the day.
I've still got one on the wall and it still looks pretty stark in fairness hehe.

Venom - Black Metal 9/10
Notorious but the debut owns it track for track.

Persecutory - Towards The Ultimate Extinction 8.5/10
First hidden gem of the week, this is some savage Black/Death from Turkey with echoes of the mighty De  Mysteriis... throughout.

Gorefest - La Muerte 8/10
More of a natural successor to Erase than the previous two Death n Roll efforts, rarely mentioned and underrated release for the Dutch men

Eurynomos - From The Valleys Of Hades 8/10
Hidden gem number two is some killer death thrash from Germany featuring Okkulto from Desaster. Real man's Metal :abbath:

Nuclear Assault - Game Over 8/10
Nascent thrash crossover that perfectly captured the cold war zeitgeist of the time

Armored Saint - Punching The Sky 7.5/10
2020 effort from these steady eddies ,Bush still sounds the same as the early days

Heretic - Breaking Point 7.5/10
Solid American Heavy Metal bordering on Thrash, elevated a level by the presence of one Mike Howe

The Elysian Fields - We...The Enchanted 6/10
More into this sort of symphonic black/Death back in the late nineties when it came out, not bad though.

Akercocke - Goat Of Mendes 5/10
This one stunk the place out this week, whether it was my mood or whatever it just all sounded a bit of a mess.

Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#13007 May 24, 2024, 10:41:21 PM Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 09:09:09 AM by Eoin McLove
Zemial- I Am The Dark.
Zemial- For the Glory of Ur.
Vircolac- Veneration.
Rebirth of Nefast/ Slidhr- Ex Nihilio.
Slidhr- White Hart!
Sabbat- History of a Time to Come.
Sabbat- Fetishism.
Beastmilk- Climax.
Third Island- Burning.
Bretwaldas of Heathen Doom- Summon the Gatekeeper.
Motörhead- 1916.

Spiter - Enter The Gates Of Fucking Hell

Dodsferd - Suicide and the Rest of Your Kind Will Follow
Attacker - The God Particle
Ard - Untouched By Fire
The Gathering - Always...
Tlon - Through Nebulous Scars
Riot - Thundersteel

Just on the mention of The Goat of Mendes, I love Akercocke but that is a shit album barring about 3 tracks

Quote from: Thorn on May 24, 2024, 09:04:43 PMNuclear Assault - Game Over 8/10
Nascent thrash crossover that perfectly captured the cold war zeitgeist of the time

A 10/10 classic for me. One of the finest albums of the era.

Quote from: Thorn on May 24, 2024, 09:04:43 PMHeretic - Breaking Point 7.5/10
Solid American Heavy Metal bordering on Thrash, elevated a level by the presence of one Mike Howe

One of the most underrated albums of that period. Anyone who loves Howe's work with Metal Church should definitely enjoy it immensely. 

N.P. - TYGERS OF PAN TANG - First Kill (1986) Demos 1978-1980.

Ah it's great stuff alright (Game Over) but the short song format kinda irks me a bit, it's no coincidence my fave track track there would be Brain Death, a veritable epic by NA standards at over seven minutes

Re that Akercocke there astgyl ,I'd had a right few beers when I spun that one and it annoyed the shit out of me with the constant switching of vocal styles
and really the whole thing was a bit too much of a cacophony in my beleaguered state and not a good choice of listening at the time. Maybe I was right though...
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#13013 May 26, 2024, 01:04:27 AM Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 01:31:11 AM by Eoin McLove
Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath.
Reverend Bizarre- In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend.

#13014 May 26, 2024, 01:43:16 AM Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 01:51:47 AM by Carnage
Kerry King: whatever the fuck it's called. Big pile of shite, not a single riff that Slayer hadn't already played.

Edit: fuck that. NP:

High On Fire: Cometh The Storm.

Quote from: Thorn on May 25, 2024, 06:15:17 PMAh it's great stuff alright (Game Over) but the short song format kinda irks me a bit, it's no coincidence my fave track track there would be Brain Death, a veritable epic by NA standards at over seven minutes

Re that Akercocke there astgyl ,I'd had a right few beers when I spun that one and it annoyed the shit out of me with the constant switching of vocal styles
and really the whole thing was a bit too much of a cacophony in my beleaguered state and not a good choice of listening at the time. Maybe I was right though...

I think you were right in thinking it's not a good album. I have the CD there and I never play it. The first one is far better as is anything that came after even though they all have many vocal styles and contrasting bits but they are just done far better on everything else (well tbf the first album sounds like arse as well but it's still better)

Their best by a mile is Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone. It's perfect imo

Quote from: Carnage on May 26, 2024, 01:43:16 AMKerry King: whatever the fuck it's called. Big pile of shite, not a single riff that Slayer hadn't already played.

Edit: fuck that. NP:

High On Fire: Cometh The Storm.

I haven't been arsed with HOF in a long time but that new one sounds fucking great. Pike sounds possessed.

It's the best one since Blessed Black Wings IMO. Seriously intense.

#13018 May 26, 2024, 05:00:49 AM Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 09:45:07 AM by Eoin McLove
I'll have to pick it up.

Samael- Ceremony of Opposites.
Wytch Hazel- III
Procession- To Reap Heavens Apart.

Black Sabbath- Tyr.  Ordering that Tony Martin box set on payday this week. I can't get enough of this and Headless Cross in recent times and I'm looking forward to familiarising myself with the other albums.

Iron Maiden- Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Darkthrone - It Beckons Us All
Mortal Sculd - Creation Undone
Candlemass - Nightfall
Emperor - Emperor / Wrath of Tyrants