Bloodbath -Nightmares made fresh
Gutless- split
God Dethroned- Bloody blasphemy
Morbid Angel- Formulas

#10021 August 03, 2023, 09:16:55 AM Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 09:18:29 AM by KingHostile
Quote from: Carnage on August 02, 2023, 11:58:26 PMI'm guessing the fourth one is Spiritual Healing? All great bar ITP, change that for Leprosy (their best) and you have all the good stuff.

Yes indeed...... slight Testament speed bump there!

I am revisiting ITP...... it does have its moments. Leprosy what an album. Must put that in the car as well!

Quicksand - "Slip"
Nazareth - "Razamanaz"

ITP is amazing. Don't understand the dislike for it.

Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey.

Tin of paint, brush in hand, quick one-skinner, kids all out

- legs like Les Claypool

Im a massive Death fan,i got into Death around the time ITP came out!.Great album but id have most of their other releases ahead of it.

ITP has consistently been my number one go-to Death album since first hearing it. If you fall into the folk who simply prefer the earlier over the later stuff, that's one thing, but outside of that I don't really get what objections there are to it.

That jazzy (for want of a better word), progressive death metal sound does nothing for me, just personal taste. Can't stand post The Erosion Of Sanity Gorguts or the Spheres-esque Pestilence stuff for the same reason, Cynic or Atheist either.

I've tried with ITP many times over the years, as my tastes progress but it's just annoying TBH. Symbolic is the only one of the last three Death albums I can listen to, and it's only good rather than great. Returning to a simpler structure saved it for me, though the vocals are pretty ropey.

I could never get into Atheist,Cynic are grand.Love the first two Gorguts,but the Obscura album is unlistenable to my ears anyway.

I wouldn't be mad on the twiddly tech DM stuff but Death are the exception, every album is a classic.

ITP is alright, but similar to the above, the Cynic-y stuff does nothing for me. Symbolic and TSOP are both crackers, so I don't think it comes down to simply preferring one era over the other.

Spheres is by far the worst Pestilence album IMO. All doon tae taste, as the boey sais.

Funnily enough i love Spheres! :laugh:

TSOP is one of the worst albums I've ever heard, absolute shite. His voice is an unlistenable squeal and the songs are just a mess.

When folk are talking about "jazzy" stuff on ITP, I'm guessing that is more or less limited to DiGiorgio's fretless bass? I suppose that is a divisive choice. Because otherwise, Hoglan and LaRocque really don't bring any "jazz" to the table, compared to Reinert and Christy or Masvidal, and I don't think there's anything particularly jazzy in the structure of the songs themselves. But yeah, I do forget that some people really hate that fretless bass sound in metal  :laugh:  :abbath:

It's awful, too twangy. I first heard it in Cryptopsy years ago and haven't listened to them since.