Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 27, 2020, 07:49:52 PM
Why did Varg kill him?

Something to do with a dildo with shit on it IIRC

Something not many people know is that Cobain's famous quote "It's better to burn out than to fade away" is actually a Varg lyric: "Hvis belus tar burzum austan tar filosofem engang var."  :abbath: :abbath:

I hear varg is courtney love in disguise.

Or liquid in a man shaped glass.

Quote from: astfgyl on July 27, 2020, 07:27:49 PM
I never cease to be amazed at how many great B-Sides Nirvana have had over the years. I feel we have finally heard the lot though with the last thing of him messing around on his guitar at home a couple of years ago.

I used to love that feeling of knowing with any given band that there was a goldmine of stuff I'd never heard before. Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails have so much stuff like that, and it used to be right difficult to track down. That really added to the mystique around getting into bands back in the day. Bit too easy to hear everything by anyone ever now, but I'd still rather be able to listen to it all than not.

Speaking of group think, I wonder how much of Nirvana's enduring popularity is down to the fact that he shot himself? Would we see the albums in a different light now if there had been subsequent releases and changes in direction/personnel over the years. The fact they were so short-lived sort of lends a timelessness to the music in a way. Maybe if they had simply called it a day after In Utero and never came back it would have had the same effect..

The later released Been A Son (not the incesticide version) turned out to be one of my top 5 favourite Nirvana songs.

Is that the one from the Best Of with the black cover? If it is the one I'm thinking of, that tune also went up 20 times in my estimation with the new mix.

Quote from: astfgyl on July 27, 2020, 07:27:49 PM

I used to love that feeling of knowing with any given band that there was a goldmine of stuff I'd never heard before. Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails have so much stuff like that, and it used to be right difficult to track down. That really added to the mystique around getting into bands back in the day. Bit too easy to hear everything by anyone ever now, but I'd still rather be able to listen to it all than not.

I used to be like that with doom bands. For years Saint Vitus records were absolutely unobtainable, and as I didn't download music in the 00s due to being on dial up connection I used to absolutely scour the record shops for albums by them. I found a copy of V on vinyl for a tenner once, but slim pickings otherwise. It blew my mind when I could find it on Youtube, and even more so when renewed interest in the band led to all of their albums being reissued in some form. I scratch that urge to track down stuff by getting live bootlegs now, although they're easier to find too now I've got broadband and Youtube. Not complaining though.....

Yep, for all its faults the intermet is an absolute treasure trove for the music lover. Amazing the stuff that is available now

The internet killed off the viability of my dream job (my own record shop), but it's increased my exposure and knowledge of music exponentially.

Even before steaming was a thing, I'd spend a bit of time sitting in the computer lab in college reading up on bands (the heady days of AllMusic dot com), take a few notes on what albums to look for, similar bands, etc.

Now, access to 21 million songs for 10 quid a month? Don't mind if I do.

Quote from: Ducky on July 29, 2020, 03:56:43 AM
Now, access to 21 million songs

oh god, what about all the ones I'm missing the iceberg the iceberg

In the early days Carcass's and Cradle Of Filth's lyricism really grabbed me. Midian took a few listens do to what they did musically.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Cradle - much like Ghost - always seem to piss off the right people. Finding the music garbage is completely fine, but they put the wind up the real metulz gatekeepers something rotten, and it's always hilarious. I love Cradle of Filth. They've gone through too many line up changes and put out way too many unnecessary albums - I struggle to name them all myself - so the quality control's out the window but they're a laugh. I imagine Dani Filth lives on cans of Carling and bangers and mash but then he's also a lyricist of serious repute with a fine understanding of his band's place in extreme metal lore.

Tell you what, they do the best Hallowed Be Thy Name.