Quote from: Pedrito on July 21, 2020, 11:05:06 PM
Quote from: warhead on July 21, 2020, 10:43:23 PM
Am happy for growing up in a god forsaken country,  with no access to metal magazines, etc, so I got to listen to Black Metal bands before seeing any photos.........otherwise, if my first contact with the style was by looking at a bunch of lads posing in make up and costumes.......I'd just skip on much of my fave music of all times.

:laugh: yeah, like is it super serious or a load of lads larping that got out of hand. I'm not sure we'll ever truly know.

And it's for the better to just leave it at that - to never truly know   :-)

Quote from: warhead on July 22, 2020, 02:37:57 AM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 21, 2020, 10:52:50 PM
Which country?

Croatia

Dobro dosao:) Some of my best friends are from Belgrade, and when I asked one about metal bands in Serbia, he gave me the stock answer...'The only one is Riblia Zorba, brate moj, you must listen to Miroslav Ilic' 😂

Maybe you can tell me some good bands from Hrvatska, Srbija etc to check out :)

The Stone and May Result from Serbia are both good Caomhaoin. Second wave style BM.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 22, 2020, 06:30:54 AM
Quote from: warhead on July 22, 2020, 02:37:57 AM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 21, 2020, 10:52:50 PM
Which country?

Croatia

Dobro dosao:) Some of my best friends are from Belgrade, and when I asked one about metal bands in Serbia, he gave me the stock answer...'The only one is Riblia Zorba, brate moj, you must listen to Miroslav Ilic' 😂

Maybe you can tell me some good bands from Hrvatska, Srbija etc to check out :)

Rhanks for the welcome  :)
Riblja Corba  is probably my fave band from the very young childhood, while Miroslav Ilic and similar is something that farmers were listening to when my grandmother was still young   :)
What is your prefered style?
This is my fave band from the ex-Yugoslavian countries, Bloodbath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvmWN35BzsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-545HtCrM&t=189s

#261 July 22, 2020, 05:09:18 PM Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:13:12 PM by Caomhaoin
I like doom, black and 80s stuff, electronica too. I love EKV, whom I am sure you have heard of. I think every single one of them died of a heroin overdose! Idoli are a cool band too. I think that Kovac lad from Romania influenced all that new wave Yugoslav rock from the early 80s.

Miroslav Ilic, Toma Zdravkovic, Lepa Lukic etc are amazing when wrecked in a Kafana after many bottles of rakija. Everyone there seems to know the words to every folk song. Pay the band 1000 dinars and you'll get 20 minutes of music, like a flesh and bone jukebox!

Bloodbath are pretty good,total early entombed worship .

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 22, 2020, 05:09:18 PM
I like doom, black and 80s stuff, electronica too. I love EKV, whom I am sure you have heard of. I think every single one of them died of a heroin overdose! Idoli are a cool band too. I think that Kovac lad from Romania influenced all that new wave Yugoslav rock from the early 80s.

Miroslav Ilic, Toma Zdravkovic, Lepa Lukic etc are amazing when wrecked in a Kafana after many bottles of rakija. Everyone there seems to know the words to every folk song. Pay the band 1000 dinars and you'll get 20 minutes of music, like a flesh and bone jukebox!

Bloodbath are pretty good,total early entombed worship .

I am not much into bands like EKV, Idoli, Disciplina Kicme and similar......but I like some of EKV and respect them the most out of the bunch.
They were heavy heroin users, but don't think every single one of them died. 2 key members are dead though. The singer/guitar player/main composer died of some kind of cancer actually and the keyboardist had HIV, because of a dirty needle used when injecting.
The Stone/May Result was already a good shout out, they are possibly the most known band from the area.
You might check out Castrum from Croatia and Krv from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bustum from Croatia if you'd want to go to the more rawer side of things.
Doom was never present much in the region, you might check out Ashes You Leave from Croatia. They were on Morbid Records in the late 90's, I had a couple of CD's from them, but can't really remember how they sound really.
When saying you're into 80's, would this fit the description?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGX9BTb-Pns

Hvala :)

I will explore those bands, and you are right about EKV, I must have understood my friend poorly (my Serbian (Serbo-Croat? They seem identical languages bar the alphabet, is no more than novice level).

I've been to Serbia many times and I never found a metal bar, or very many metalheads at all there. Similar situation in Croatia?

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 22, 2020, 07:49:24 PM
Hvala :)

I will explore those bands, and you are right about EKV, I must have understood my friend poorly (my Serbian (Serbo-Croat? They seem identical languages bar the alphabet, is no more than novice level).

I've been to Serbia many times and I never found a metal bar, or very many metalheads at all there. Similar situation in Croatia?

There is a Metal bar in capital of Croatia, Zagreb called Valhalla. It is the only strictly Metal bar I know in the region. I've visited countless Serbian towns too, and have only seen Rock orientated places.
It is not like lovely Spain, where you can have 3-4 Metal bars in a semi big town  :)
Yugoslavia had many rockers and punks in the past, as well as metalheads in the late 80's/early 90's, but it all fizzled out in the second half of the 90's.
Croatian and Serbian language is having many different words, but is 99% the same crap.

Yeah football hooliganism, shouting 'upi upi shiptare'at football matches and drink driving are big hobbies in Belgrade at least. Oh, and paying a few thousand dinars to get out of a speeding ticket :) No time for metal, just an encyclopaedic knowledge of their folk songs. I love it there, and I love them nonetheless.

Have you ever heard of Beerfest or the Orthodox Celts? I was astounded to see a concert attended by thousands there of a band dressed in kilts and Celtic shirts singing 'The Star of the County Down', and who are not from Tralee, but from Serbia! Incredible.

I've always thought Beldegrader was a good name for a metal band.

When I say always I mean literally within the last few seconds I made up that joke.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 22, 2020, 08:51:01 PM
Yeah football hooliganism, shouting 'upi upi shiptare'at football matches and drink driving are big hobbies in Belgrade at least. Oh, and paying a few thousand dinars to get out of a speeding ticket :) No time for metal, just an encyclopaedic knowledge of their folk songs. I love it there, and I love them nonetheless.

Have you ever heard of Beerfest or the Orthodox Celts? I was astounded to see a concert attended by thousands there of a band dressed in kilts and Celtic shirts singing 'The Star of the County Down', and who are not from Tralee, but from Serbia! Incredible.

Yeah, football hooliganism is a pretty popular thing in the area. Was never into it, on the contrary to the drunk driving(not bragging in any case, justa saying).
Yeah, I know of the Beerfest and Orthodox Celts. You should know that Irish music and tradition is really popular and loved all around the world, so don't be surprised.
By the way, I've got a feeling we managed to derail the thread   :)

Quote from: Ducky on July 17, 2020, 01:12:46 PM
To expand on Juggz saying that the newer stuff doesn't sound like Max era - I'd be pretty pissed if the old lineup was still together and they were pumping out lesser versions of their older albums.

Love it or loathe it, Steps have been making music on their own terms and I applaud them for (to go full circle with the thread) for not bowing to pressure. Again, Kisser seems to come up with as many cool riffs as he has morning pisses and Cassagrande is that type of musician that makes me think "I'll never be that good".

Edit - was gonna fix my typo, but left it for comedic effect  :abbath:

(Late to the party and have been reading the thread seeing all the interesting replies).

Agree on this. I NEVER understood the logic that quite a few people use that without the Cavaleras it's 'not Sepultura'. Kisser is at least as crucial to their sound as Max and Igor were, he's been with the band since pretty early on (him not being the original guitarist is just nitpicking IMO), plays on all their classic records and helped to write most of their best known songs. Also he seems to be a musician of integrity who keeps it honest and does his own thing.

With regards to another post on the thread, I think the Tony Martin era 'Sabbath' albums are hindered by the fact that they have the Sabbath name on them - they're basically Iommi solo albums in all but name, and they would probably get re-evaluated more positively if they were put out as such. However, there is now a counter-argument I've observed - notably from American circles - that these albums are lost classics and Martin was one of the best singers Iommi ever had, which is going too far the other way IMO, as to my ears the albums are mostly pretty average and Martin while having an OK ability has no real distinctiveness in his voice. And live he was abysmal at times - he just couldn't get near the Ozzy material at all, at least not on the 1994 tour, although he did have some physical issues affecting him then. He also lacked stage presence. I don't deny he can sing, but the revisionist angle being peddled is wide of the mark.

I think it's kinda telling that they replaced Max the vocalist but not Max the rhythm guitarist. Sure Paolo Jr. didn't record his own bass tracks until Chaos AD because Kisser did it instead.

As far as I'm concerned, Sepultura is Kisser's band.