#135 July 18, 2020, 11:14:46 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:20:21 PM by mugz
... same old game

#136 July 18, 2020, 11:16:25 PM Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:30:53 AM by Eoin McLove

Mugz fuck away off you pathetic cunt

On the comments about Sepultura above, I can only point out that there's nothing really tribal about ROOTS other than the cover, that is quite a misconception about the album. Sepultura always tried to sympathise with the "common people" and its harsh reality. If you take the lyrics, even when they hint about indigenous people (on Roots bloody roots for instance) it has more to do with the political implications of its time than regaining some sort of tradition. Indigenous people have their clashes with the government due to preservation of their land and that was hot topic at the time. A year after the album was out, someone from a rich family burnt an indigenous to death in the capital, just to draw a picture of how much hatred the elites have for them. But IMO the album has more to do with social issues, and the music itself has more elements of African descendants rhythms popular in the northeast states (see Michael Jackson's "they don't care about us" videoclip, same year, that kind of music was popular back then), those were groups formed to get the youth from poor communities involved with something better than drugs and violence.

I wouldn't say they didn't want to experiment it, but there's certainly a commercial touch to such a change. I don't like it, but I would understand how different it sounds to people from different backgrounds.

PS: The lyrics to Rathamahata are just slang for and synonyms to "Slums". Awful song altogether...

I've only been posting on here a short time, bit I find a thread about the swaying of opinions on an internet form a bit wierd. If I have to point out why...... Just to piss everyone off my favourite sepultura album is nation. I always loved everything sepultura did, but nation was a positive but still aggressive album when every other metal album was trying to be Grimm as fuck, and I welcomed the warm vibe. Still do.

*Kill me now*

Listening to who must die? now, and not sure what anyone could find wrong with it

Quote from: skuddington on July 19, 2020, 02:07:28 AM
I've only been posting on here a short time, bit I find a thread about the swaying of opinions on an internet form a bit wierd. If I have to point out why...... Just to piss everyone off my favourite sepultura album is nation. I always loved everything sepultura did, but nation was a positive but still aggressive album when every other metal album was trying to be Grimm as fuck, and I welcomed the warm vibe. Still do.

*Kill me now*
Controversial  :laugh:

Lol I was going to come on here and try say Roorback was the best Sepultura album to see if anyone would call me out, but I couldn't even say it for the craic. That and Nation are terrible, but for an actual bit of controversy, my favourite of the Greene stuff is Against, which will probably go down equally badly

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 18, 2020, 03:29:54 PM
Incidentally, 'Solipsistic Omphaloskeptic' is the most awesome technical DM album humanity has ever created. Real pity for the rest of you I never released or even performed it outside of my own mind  :abbath:

Better get that recorded to 2" tape quick. I imagined the demo there and it was great stuff. Even the Nightwish style vocals and Dubstep interludes couldn't drag it down. The wacky lyrics were a great touch as well and I can't think of any lyricist other than Richie Kavanagh who could present such scathing social commentary in such an accessible fashion.

#145 July 19, 2020, 10:15:17 AM Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:27:37 AM by Pedrito
Quote from: O Drighes on July 19, 2020, 12:10:32 AM
On the comments about Sepultura above, I can only point out that there's nothing really tribal about ROOTS other than the cover, that is quite a misconception about the album. Sepultura always tried to sympathise with the "common people" and its harsh reality. If you take the lyrics, even when they hint about indigenous people (on Roots bloody roots for instance) it has more to do with the political implications of its time than regaining some sort of tradition. Indigenous people have their clashes with the government due to preservation of their land and that was hot topic at the time. A year after the album was out, someone from a rich family burnt an indigenous to death in the capital, just to draw a picture of how much hatred the elites have for them. But IMO the album has more to do with social issues, and the music itself has more elements of African descendants rhythms popular in the northeast states (see Michael Jackson's "they don't care about us" videoclip, same year, that kind of music was popular back then), those were groups formed to get the youth from poor communities involved with something better than drugs and violence.

I wouldn't say they didn't want to experiment it, but there's certainly a commercial touch to such a change. I don't like it, but I would understand how different it sounds to people from different backgrounds.

PS: The lyrics to Rathamahata are just slang for and synonyms to "Slums". Awful song altogether...

Interesting breakdown. So much about Brazil is mistaken for stuff 'from the favelhas' when that is so far from the actual truth. And of course the indigenous touch is something plenty of Europeans/Yanks romanticize.

Quote from: Slaughterday on July 18, 2020, 08:32:15 AM
The posts read like Lysander's old ones from MI.

100% it is somebody from the old forum and yes, Lysander sprung to my mind too. The snickers and tuna diet  :laugh:

I hope the irony of using a thread with "metal group think"  in the title to jump on a bandwagon of lambasting a particular user isn't lost on us all...

If he's a victim,  it's only of his own personality.

He's threatening people's lives and including McLove's family in the post ffs. Disgusting behaviour. This thread started out fine and was hijacked for pages with constant self-referential posts.