Quote from: Kunt 4 Life on July 04, 2020, 01:28:09 AM
I'm sure I heard him saying something like "and that was a song by claw finger called.." then he'd scramble to pick up the cd and read it off the back.

Haha I'd highly doubt that, considering the only Clawfinger song he ever played was the Truth!! Over and over again. At least, it seemed that way.

I must have rose tinted memories of this show as to me it seemed amazing. I was oblivious to his lack of background knowledge on the music. So much so that when I heard him reading the sports news I thought he probably hated it!
I'm  99% and dare I say 100% that JK was the MC at Sunstroke '94.
I remember talking to Marcus Connaughton after a talk he gave in college. He said they did they best they could with what they had. They interviewed a few musicians back then and no idea what to ask them.

It was amazing. It didn't matter he was a bit clueless about underground metal as long as he was playing it. And to be honest, it meant we got more music and less rambling. In any case, you were assured the rambling when you went into Tommy in Sound Cellar to pick up whatever you'd heard!

#48 July 04, 2020, 12:42:03 PM Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:43:56 PM by John Kimble
Dunno if it's already been mentioned but he's still at it, perhaps in a format he's more naturally comfortable with.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/darragh-mcmanus-on-radio-happy-to-be-stuck-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-edged-place-39134267.html
The impression I got was that he was more of a rocker. It was still a great show. It would have been too much of an ask back then to come up with a metal show featuring a mainstream radio presenter who was fanatical about underground metal. I think he he did a serviceable job. Imagine turning on any mainstream radio station, even if it was 8pm on a Sunday, and hearing Deicide. It just couldn't happen now.

#49 July 04, 2020, 08:08:08 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:50:12 PM by mugz

#50 July 04, 2020, 08:11:37 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:50:29 PM by mugz

#51 July 04, 2020, 08:42:12 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:50:44 PM by mugz

#52 July 04, 2020, 08:44:00 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:50:55 PM by mugz

The Soundcellar and also Tommy Tighe was an institution back in the days of The Metal Show as well. I remember going in there as a young lad and I used to aspire to being one of the lads who'd to be in there leaning on the counter. They always looked like they knew fucking rakes of metal and I just wanted to have access to the stores of stuff that I imagined they had from hanging around in there. Sure if you leaned on the counter long enough you'd surely have heard the full top ten and god only knows what else, where I'd have to wait til someone bought a given album and get the C90 off them. Otherwise I'd just have to make do with simply imagining how good an album might be, going off the couple of tunes I'd have from the Metal Show until I got up to Dublin myself.  Not being from Dublin or anywhere near there, it was a real fabled place altogether the Soundcellar.

I wonder what is the equivalent mecca nowadays or if there even is one for the young lads. Following on from that then wondering what other places were there around the country like that back in the day as well. Also do ye reckon any of that, like the lack of a metal show equivalent or a mostly inaccessible place to find the music takes from the mystique and stops young people getting into it? Tape only labels or the like I suppose, but all of that is still accessible online and so there is no pilgrimage involved. Gigs I suppose but ye probably know what I mean

I had the opposite feeling of the Sound Cellar. Too trve poser twats. I remember going in there when I was 17 (which was an event for me because I'm from the west and heard so much about it) I bought Dirt and Reign in Blood on CD and they took the piss because I was dressed normally and buying 'mainstream' albums (two fucking all time classics FFS).

Sound lads, I'll just go to any of the other cool record shops in Dublin instead.

#55 July 04, 2020, 09:50:07 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:51:20 PM by mugz

Quote from: Ducky on July 04, 2020, 09:48:33 PM
I had the opposite feeling of the Sound Cellar. Too trve poser twats. I remember going in there when I was 17 (which was an event for me because I'm from the west and heard so much about it) I bought Dirt and Reign in Blood on CD and they took the piss because I was dressed normally and buying 'mainstream' albums (two fucking all time classics FFS).

I went in there anytime I was on a day trip to Dublin. It felt like one of those places I just had to see. I dunno why they would slag anyone for buying stuff in there! If they did; fuck em. I bought Bloody Kisses in there on cassette and I thought I was the shit.
Sound lads, I'll just go to any of the other cool record shops in Dublin instead.

I used to be in there all the time as a kid,  buying all sorts of stuff,  some good,  some awful. I never had any of the lads slag me over my purchases.

#58 July 04, 2020, 11:19:43 PM Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:36:57 PM by leatherface
Went to the Sound Cellar plenty of times as a youngster in the early-mid 90s and never got any hassle from Tommy, even though we (myself and my friends), never bought much at the time, just looking at the records :laugh:.  I did, eventually,  get serious with purchases there.  Having said that it was a place to go and learn about bands, genres etc., far more fun than the internet because you were with your mates.

Last time I went there was 2016, on a trip home, asking about an Autopsy record (which they didn't have).  I noticed immediately how the stairs down to the shop was so worn and how creaky everything sounded underfoot. Historical place.

Same as, I'm a bit dubious of that story there Ducky. Been there countless times over the years, always paid a visit anytime I traveled up from Cork for a gig. Bought lots of classics and plenty of shite, always found the lads there decent enough and helpful when it came to recommendations, but certainly not judgemental. Def did not come across as Trve or whatever.