https://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/obsidian-2/?fbclid=IwAR2CWMW4NME6Vd3zYcoclDhc4eX56bm2KvdyUW_X7r7YL-vSyT1kKwRB03U

Ive had it on a few times this past week and am enjoying it more than Medusa for sure. A few real standout tracks (as noted in the pretty accurate review to my mind).  The opener especially is a surprise, but absolutely gorgeous. 

Given this a few spins since it came out. I think it stands tall over Medusa. There's a bit of flab in the middle but its still well worth a listen. The goth influence is in a few tracks but I think they pull it off. Darker Thoughts and Ending Days were highlights for me!

There's definitely some flab in the middle (dont we all have that?!) - the first 5 songs and the last few are great. Maybe the flab will grow on me! :)

Spinning it quite regularly, very enjoyable album. I like the variation this time.

Lads, Medusa is shite so comparing this to that isn't selling it very hard. "It's better than Medusa" is basically saying "It's HIV, but sure at least it isn't full blown"

Some will no doubt disagree, but I think this band reached its creative peak in 1995 with Draconian Times. There have been decent songs since then, but none  as great as  the songs  on Icon and Draconian times.

Quote from: Cailleach on May 21, 2020, 08:17:04 PM
Some will no doubt disagree, but I think this band reached its creative peak in 1995 with Draconian Times. There have been decent songs since then, but none  as great as  the songs  on Icon and Draconian times.

No one will disagree

Thing is, those early albums were so damn good, part of people's DNA now of a certain age bracket, I guess personally I will always buy a new Paradise Lost album in the knowledge it will never fall below a certain standard even if that standard has long ago gotten incredibly formulaic.
As expected, the new one is decent, no more no less and way less interesting than the new My Dying Bride
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

I stuck it on a having a few beers last night - it didn't really grab me all that much to be honest but, to be fair, I was a bit spaced out after work.

I'm not familiar with Paradise Lost's complete back catalogue except "Icon", "Draconian Times" and "Medusa" (which I thought was a decent album).

Shades of God is not only my favourite PL but a top ten of all time for me ,very much of a time and place .

Quote from: Thorn on May 22, 2020, 05:25:52 PM
Shades of God is not only my favourite PL but a top ten of all time for me ,very much of a time and place .

Shades of God is fucking class. Every tune on it is brilliant. I nearly wore out the tape as a young fella. I think I slightly prefer it to Draconian Times while understanding that DT is a much more accomplished effort in a lot of ways

Quote from: Lost-Paradise on March 20, 2020, 04:07:57 PM
Yeah its ok. Better than that god awful "Blood and Chaos" single off of the last album but not as good as the albums stronger tracks.  In the press release they said the new single was the first written for the new album so it sounds the most like the last album, or something to that effect. Apparently the new album has more of an 80's goth rock vibe, they even go as far as to say one of the songs is a "guaranteed dancefloor-filler at any discerning goth nightclub",  at least that means the single isn't a reflection of the sound of the album.

it was great for the 80s to get a second run, but we kinda need something really fresh like their 90s electronica, something 'new'...the 90s were a difficult decade for metal but the forced experimentation was actually pretty healthy, looking back.

Interview with Nick on the RTE website at the moment

I actually wish they kept going down the electronica path. Symbol of life was the last album I really liked by them. The self titled has got good stuff too but when they decided to go back to the heavier stuff it's just not been that good.
I just find it very predictable and boring.