New album May 15. I was in the minority in not particularly liking the last album. Felt the side project elements were too prominent. Still, always good to have a new PL to look forward to.

Looking forward to this as always. Last one was ok, not amazing... but for sure they're gonna mix it up more again this time I'd say rather than pushing the doomier side again.

#3 March 20, 2020, 04:07:57 PM Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:44:28 PM by Lost-Paradise
Yeah its ok. Better than that god awful "Blood and Chaos" single off of the last album but not as good as the albums stronger tracks.  In the press release they said the new single was the first written for the new album so it sounds the most like the last album, or something to that effect. Apparently the new album has more of an 80's goth rock vibe, they even go as far as to say one of the songs is a "guaranteed dancefloor-filler at any discerning goth nightclub",  at least that means the single isn't a reflection of the sound of the album.

Holmes is a gas fucker. Much prefer the gothier stuff so hopefully that's pronounced on the album.

They've rarely picked good singles... this song is fine, nothing special...

New single released today. Heavily 80s tinged. Not as good as the previous track, which has grown on me quite a bit. At least it looks like there'll be a bit of variety on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urugx_wSBy8

Preferred the 1st song. That one is a bit meh....

Last album was very weak I thought. Their album output has been patchy enough in the last few years. Will probably pick up the new one but not in a mad panic to do so either.

I like it. Bit more immediate than the last song.  Sounds like it would have fit right in on the eponymous album from 2005.

Quote from: Wiseblood on April 24, 2020, 12:57:44 PM
Preferred the 1st song. That one is a bit meh....

Last album was very weak I thought. Their album output has been patchy enough in the last few years. Will probably pick up the new one but not in a mad panic to do so either.

Ya, I didn't like the last one either. And the albums prior to it, while nothing inherently bad about them I don't feel the urge to put em on all that often.

I used to love these lads but I find it impossible to get excited by anything they have put out in years. The last album that I put on and enjoyed was Believe In Nothing. That would probably go well in the controversial thread. My favourite of theirs is still Shades of God though, I love it start to finish. Or maybe Draconian Times that's up there as well. Some good stuff on Icon and One Second, too.

Love all their recent (& old) stuff, but granted Medusa was not their best.

Ghosts is, as they say, very goth. Its complete Sisters/Fields worship... I like it, but the drum performance seems overly busy to me on it but hey...

I also like the variety, something that Medusa lacked...

I have Draconian Times on here and I'm only as far as Shadowkings but fuck me the latter day output is chronically shit when the comparison is made. There is no way they are ever going to pull it out of the bag again and make an unreal album. The general consensus now seems to be "well it's not fully shit so thank whoever for that at least"

No.

Not good enough.

Quote from: astfgyl on April 30, 2020, 09:57:29 PM
I have Draconian Times on here and I'm only as far as Shadowkings but fuck me the latter day output is chronically shit when the comparison is made. There is no way they are ever going to pull it out of the bag again and make an unreal album. The general consensus now seems to be "well it's not fully shit so thank whoever for that at least"

No.

Not good enough.

As much as I don't want to agree with you and as much as my inner fifteen year old has been holding out hope for another jaw dropping, game changing album from Paradise Lost for the last twenty five years, I have to accept the facts.

Because their decline hasn't been as shockingly dramatic as say Sepultura or Metallica they get a pass but they've been phoning it in for decades now.

Everything from One Second onwards could be shorn down to a double album best of and it's all you'd need.

And you know what it would be a grand double at that, but that encompasses a lot of albums worth of stuff.