#1455 September 11, 2020, 09:45:57 PM Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:47:33 PM by Pedrito
I'd say any spike at the moment is due to schools going back. How anyone thinks having millions of kids supposedly staying in bubbles and then a certain percentage not going home and hugging granny is never going to happen is beyond me.

I've heard bad reports about what happens when you get it. There's no doubt that it sucks major ass. The major question though is if the response justifies the actions that are being implemented and that is so unbelievably impossible to quantify that for the most part people are just going with what feels right to them.

Again, if we're in the same type of trend this time 6 months do we keep going wearing masks and sitting 2 metres apart? A whole year of this when people in the past survived much worse? Again, I have no answer. My gut tells me there's major overreaction taking place, some people are revelling in the bad news story as we saw in the crisis aswell, but that's just my gut as previously stated.

All that said, I'd hate to get the fuckin thing so it's a pure balls of a situation.

Yeah, I'd fair hate to get it, too. It's meant to be right bad by all accounts. I don't wish it on anyone no matter how critical I get on the response.

Other than that I have the same gut feeling that you describe. I don't blame anyone who doesn't feel the same though because they all have their own good reasons for doing so, and I don't think any of the general public on either side of the response debate are having their opinion on it with anything other than the best of intentions.

I think we might be wearing masks and distancing in 6 more months. On paper anyway. I don't feel that I will be doing it out of anything other than avoiding the hassle of not doing it though, and I also think a time will come where I won't even be willing to play along at all even for a quiet life.

It was so difficult and time-consuming trying to get an appointment for a test, even with a prescription saying "Symptomatic Case", that I just gave up. Feeling grand now, and it probably was just some other infection, but things are still totally fucked here with the testing. The institute where I work has all the gear necessary to run the PCRs, but neither we nor any of our neighbours on campus are being mobilized, yet the waiting lists for tests are up to over a week.

Quote from: astfgyl on September 11, 2020, 02:52:36 PMWe are all deluding ourselves with this new normal and the only end result will be the destruction of civil liberties and what will be for all intents and purposes a police state and everyone turned against each other, Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany style.
I feel like there's a massive, and I mean a really fucken huge, gap in logical exposition there, like there are several substantial paragraphs full of models, examples and details omitted. Please, enlighten me. How do we start at a holding period of simple social distancing and the like and end up in death camps? That Australian young one getting busted? Simply, if you know you have this virus and you go out to play, you're a cunt, pure and simple. That still doesn't explain how we end up in the gas chamber as the only end result. Please help me understand this perspective.

The PCR is fairly debatable as well now you mention it but aside from that aren't you worried at all that you may have mild covid and are still potentially an extremely dangerous vector? No, I wouldn't be either. I'd be steering clear of the nursing homes all the same..

Quote from: Juggz on September 11, 2020, 11:00:11 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 11, 2020, 02:52:36 PMWe are all deluding ourselves with this new normal and the only end result will be the destruction of civil liberties and what will be for all intents and purposes a police state and everyone turned against each other, Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany style.
I feel like there's a massive, and I mean a really fucken huge, gap in logical exposition there, like there are several substantial paragraphs full of models, examples and details omitted. Please, enlighten me. How do we start at a holding period of simple social distancing and the like and end up in death camps? That Australian young one getting busted? Simply, if you know you have this virus and you go out to play, you're a cunt, pure and simple. That still doesn't explain how we end up in the gas chamber as the only end result. Please help me understand this perspective.

No bother man, I'll enlighten you. There is this thing known as hyperbole, and some people use it to illustrate a point they are making.

Masks & social distancing + ? = death camps

Yeah sure if that's the way you want to take up my explanation, have at it.

I'm just trying to connect the dots between the start point and the end point as you've outlined. I mean, you're accusing Ducky of hysteria, but you're the one claiming we're going to be getting put on the train. Hysteria? Most definitely.

#1463 September 11, 2020, 11:18:55 PM Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:26:06 PM by astfgyl
No I already explained about using hyperbole to illustrate a point I was making. Give it up and catch me on something else.

Edit: what's with the sticking up for Ducky anyway? Surely he can make the argument for himself or ignore it all by himself

Quote from: astfgyl on September 11, 2020, 11:03:39 PM
The PCR is fairly debatable as well now you mention it but aside from that aren't you worried at all that you may have mild covid and are still potentially an extremely dangerous vector? No, I wouldn't be either. I'd be steering clear of the nursing homes all the same..

The PCR test may be skewing the number of positive cases towards higher figures due its sensitivity (i.e. its strength as a genetic tool), but at that it's still giving a good idea of the amount of virus circulating. Can it pick up "dead" virus strands? Technically, yes. But those strands were once "alive"...and therefore circulating. In any case, you should have noticed by my last several posts that I'm not really looking at positive case numbers, but rather at hospitalizations and mortality rate.

I'm as "worried" as ever that I may be a vector, which is why I continue to respect hygiene and distancing measures as much as possible, as I have done since the start...since, as folk are rightly stressing here, that part at least is a piece of piss to adhere to.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 11, 2020, 11:19:52 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 11, 2020, 11:03:39 PM

The PCR test may be skewing the number of positive cases towards higher figures due its sensitivity (i.e. its strength as a genetic tool), but at that it's still giving a good idea of the amount of virus circulating. Can it pick up "dead" virus strands? Technically, yes. But those strands were once "alive"...and therefore circulating. In any case, you should have noticed by my last several posts that I'm not really looking at positive case numbers, but rather at hospitalizations and mortality rate.

I'm as "worried" as ever that I may be a vector, which is why I continue to respect hygiene and distancing measures as much as possible, as I have done since the start...since, as folk are rightly stressing here, that part at least is a piece of piss to adhere to.

That sounds about as dangerous as going for a surf

Today was my third day without any symptoms without taking any medication. I've been isolated during that time. You could say that one "advantage" of showing symptoms is that it's easier to tell when your organism has beaten whatever it was.

Quote from: astfgyl on September 11, 2020, 06:55:25 PM
Quote from: Ducky on September 11, 2020, 06:46:33 PM
That's the only way out of this mess.

In this thread you make me want to tear my fucking hair out but I've always thought you came across as sound everywhere else on the board and the old board as well, so I am going to leave this video here and it might take a bit of the pharma company driven hysteria out of you, should you choose to watch it. There is a much simpler way out of this, and that is a sense of perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvFhIFzaac

I'm not reciprocating the feeling "just because" but the want of tearing hair out is mutual. There's no big pharma hysteria with me at all (I mean, do you think an effective vaccine produced by Pfizer or whoever is a bad thing?), my "hysteria" stems from (as I already pointed out) my very real underlying health conditions that make me far more likely to suffer severe complications (or death) if I pick this up. Life can be fucking complicated enough to manage at times because of my physical health (and it already has me at risk of developing a variety of complications much earlier than normal), I'd rather not have to deal with this on top and further complicating things.

We've already established it's nasty as fuck and none of us want it, so filter that through a compromised immune system and you might have a better understanding why hearing "muh civil liberties" makes me "hysterical".

Here's a little more context on that surf story btw:
https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-09-08/woman-arrested-for-surfing-in-northern-spain-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19.html

Possibly safe to say there was concern she wasn't respecting quarantine in other respects also, since she ignored both an implicit and an explicit order.

Re that video, the main point that leaps out is that Ivor Cummings seems not to understand how "excess mortality" is calculated, i.e. on the basis of a five year average, not merely related to the previous 52 weeks. We're all a bit bamboozled with graphs though at this stage.