38 additional cases today. Apart from the specific outbreaks mentioned, the rate seems to be generally fairly stable the last couple of weeks. I still think all of this shit won't actually work in the long run unless the Zero Covid Island suggestion from the scientific community is aggressively pursued sometime very soon. Even then, the likelihood is that it won't work anyway. Fun times ahead

Quote from: astfgyl on August 07, 2020, 06:28:07 PM
38 additional cases today. Apart from the specific outbreaks mentioned, the rate seems to be generally fairly stable the last couple of weeks. I still think all of this shit won't actually work in the long run unless the Zero Covid Island suggestion from the scientific community is aggressively pursued sometime very soon. Even then, the likelihood is that it won't work anyway. Fun times ahead

there's at least 98 cases reported in Ireland today: 38  women though! 68 of the cases in Offaly, Laois and Kildare so those clusters are getting worse and lock-downs are in place from midnight there.

60 of those 98 were late additions to yesterday's tally, so I went with the 38 freshly discovered ones. Thank god I'm not in Laois or Offaly. Nothing to do with the lockdown or anything, just thank god in general

The BIFFOs are on your, evidentially.

The Ex Offaly hurler Brian Carroll was a boarder at my school (St Kierans in Kilkenny) and he would call himself Biffo, even write it on his copy books and everything. I had always thought it was an insult. He wasn't a normal lad though, you can hear it when he commentates on 2FM for the hurling.

Quote from: astfgyl on August 07, 2020, 03:34:14 PM
It's funny to see how with the rises in cases in the midlands that the talk is of localised lockdowns and "not ruling anything out", yet when Dublin and Cork were riddled with cases and fuck all anywhere else, the localised solution was dismissed out of hand.

Money talks as usual.

Was that not when there was a nationwide lockdown anyway? I'd imagine localised lockdown was not an option at that stage because the testing wasn't up to scratch so they'd no idea (only in retrospect) what was really going on with cases. I know after that, Cork has fairly consistently had some of the lowest rates of transmission.

Just crossed the border into France (I'm in a village in the Pyrenees) and hardly anyone is wearing a mask. What's the story Chris?

Les grenouilles sont cons!

Quote from: Caomhaoin on August 08, 2020, 07:36:00 AM
The Ex Offaly hurler Brian Carroll was a boarder at my school (St Kierans in Kilkenny) and he would call himself Biffo, even write it on his copy books and everything. I had always thought it was an insult. He wasn't a normal lad though, you can hear it when he commentates on 2FM for the hurling.

Seeing as it means "big ignorant fucker from Offaly" then it's absolutely an insult... that said, a big ignorant fucker from Offaly not knowing what BIFFO means is a classic BIFFO move (or he was owning his torments or some shit).

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on August 08, 2020, 10:59:51 AM
Quote from: astfgyl on August 07, 2020, 03:34:14 PM
It's funny to see how with the rises in cases in the midlands that the talk is of localised lockdowns and "not ruling anything out", yet when Dublin and Cork were riddled with cases and fuck all anywhere else, the localised solution was dismissed out of hand.

Money talks as usual.

Was that not when there was a nationwide lockdown anyway? I'd imagine localised lockdown was not an option at that stage because the testing wasn't up to scratch so they'd no idea (only in retrospect) what was really going on with cases. I know after that, Cork has fairly consistently had some of the lowest rates of transmission.

The tests were filtered by location from day one

Quote from: Ducky on August 08, 2020, 03:22:34 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on August 08, 2020, 07:36:00 AM

They don't really give a shite and think that people who call them biffos are the actual ignorant fuckers

Seeing as it means "big ignorant fucker from Offaly" then it's absolutely an insult... that said, a big ignorant fucker from Offaly not knowing what BIFFO means is a classic BIFFO move (or he was owning his torments or some shit).

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 08, 2020, 01:19:10 PM
Les grenouilles sont cons!

Oauis, vraiment!

Second time in France this year, and the difference in prices is, well, inconvenient! A beer, a bit of scran or a bottle of liquid for the vape is generally double it's Spanish equivalent , even worse in Paris. I don't know how you managed to eat or keep your ginger locks so vibrant looking:) God help you and your kids and your kids kids paying off the mortgage!

New Zealand celebrates 100 days without virus transmission.

Something to think about there.

Now can anyone suggest a good reason to me why we can't be at that stage?

Quote from: astfgyl on August 09, 2020, 06:59:22 PM
New Zealand celebrates 100 days without virus transmission.

Something to think about there.

Now can anyone suggest a good reason to me why we can't be at that stage?
Does it matter?,we're 80 miles from the Uk a country we're heavily dependent on.NZ is thousands of miles out on its own.Pointless comparing,im still of the attitude,look after your own space and get on with life.

Yeah I think it does matter, with the approach taken to dealing with it. The only successful approach so far seems to be the one they have taken in NZ. The only reason I can see for not taking the same approach to quarantining arrivals is that with the NI situation, it leaves too much of a loophole and renders the exercise pointless.

I don't dispute that we are economically tied to the UK for a lot of things, but is movement of people as essential as import/export? Do we really have to let people in and out? Can it not be stopped for a while and we could be doing well here and let other countries sort their own places out? It seems so silly for us all to be taking these measures, both personally and nationally, and constantly leaving the door open for the thing to be reintroduced every time progress is made.

I also get that there is no guarantee that NZ won't have it back at some stage and we need to get our own house in order as well as dealing with international arrivals but there is an approach to that element which works and is there for all to see, so there is a point comparing as I see it.