85 cases reported today. Are we about to kick off again?

Sounds like we already have. Bear in mind that the numbers as reported are at least 10 days old

France also reported the highest figures since May today.

Does this mean then that nothing short of lockdown will actually have any effect or is it just that people are lackadaisical now after the few months? Maybe something to do with tourist season?

And yeah if these figures are over a week old I dread to see where we will be at in another week's time

It means the spas going around not social distancing and not wearing masks in public will need to give it a go or there will have to be a return to lockdown. Pretending it doesn't exist hasn't worked. Back to Plan A.

Yeah I've given out about a lot of the measures all the way through this so far, but still actually begrudgingly adhered to them in the hope of it working. I have to say though, I meet a lot of people in the course of a day and the vast majority of them are taking the advice, to the extent that those who are not stick out like a sore thumb, so maybe if what we are seeing now with the rise in cases is a week or two old, the effect of compliance will kick back in in another week or so. Well hopefully anyway..

#1236 July 30, 2020, 07:49:01 PM Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:11:49 AM by Carnage
On the Monday when masks in shops became mandatory, the vast majority of people I saw in shops had them on, both staff and customers. Fast forward a week and it's down to about a quarter at best. The can't-be-arsed and don't-believe brigades out in full.

And it's these stupid cunts that will cause a worse second wave.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

46 new cases on a Sunday really doesn't bode well for the coming week.

On the plus side I know of someone who was tested at 9 o' clock one evening and had results at 9 the following morning so the testing times are right up there and the hope is that they are being caught quickly. Another thing is that a lot of these new cases are being picked up through the contact tracing setup so that seems fairly robust as well.

Is like 50 cases a day a sustainable amount if it was to sit around there? Strangely enough none of the latest cases seem to be getting hospitalised with it either. I still often wonder will this just end up being let run its' course after several failed attempts at containment. In a regular setting I mean, of course nursing homes and the like will have to be a lot more cautious but the current approach still seems somewhat unsustainable in the long term when I think about it

That's good that things are getting caught quicker. What I think is stupid is that it's on the HSE's website for people to stay in Ireland for 2020 and yet people are still allowed to fly off to other countries. There is the "Green List" of where we're told it's safe to fly to, Spain isn't on it but yet people are going there, I know of a guy who went there last week. There just seems to be a lot of contradiction with it.

Yeah a lot of that is pure shit, telling everyone to go nowhere but also publishing a green list and still allowing outward flights to riskier countries. Also allowing tourists in (although not a lot of them are coming from what I hear and see) from anywhere at all regardless of the situation in their respective home countries.

I tend to agree with the notion that it will run its course after a few containments. It sounds fucked, but the whole thing is fucked anyway. We're going to throw our hands up and get sick of this thing before it gets sick of us. It's human nature. Lockdown fatigue will kick in, the everyman will start revolting as much as the tin foil plebs, and we'll all quietly get on with things whilst trying to protect the vulnerable.

The lack of hospitalization with these new cases is running concurrent with the fact that the recent spikes have been amongst the under 50s. That's obviously an encouraging sign that increasingly confirms that this thing kicking your ass is the exception and not the rule.

Dozy Bastards: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0802/1157007-clare-covid-warning/

Yes that's probably easy to say not being a parent, but parents should be keeping more watch over them, it's not good if they get it off their friends and bring it back to the house. Put a tracker on their phone. There are the relevant apps out there, one's that go into detail so the parents can get a good idea.
That could be deemed intrusive, but until someone is 18,  as you know, legally they are still the parents responsibility.

It's funny to see how with the rises in cases in the midlands that the talk is of localised lockdowns and "not ruling anything out", yet when Dublin and Cork were riddled with cases and fuck all anywhere else, the localised solution was dismissed out of hand.

Money talks as usual.

I agree it is shit.... but I suppose, hindsight and all that.... 5 months ago we thought it was going to be a lot worse... or so we were told.