later on he says phenomena rather than phenomenon

How do we all feel now with the lifting of restrictions? I miss elements of the lockdown, but nothing I can't get over. I will say it has given me time to evaluate what I deem important in my life.

Also, has anyone any thoughts around how the cases have not spiked with the lifting? I suppose we are all conditioned to certain habits now or something along those lines.

I was thinking as well; people keep saying to me that they think it will be back in the winter with a bang. Is that actually likely given that the virus has been basically spreading much the same in hot and cold places?

Quote from: astfgyl on June 18, 2020, 09:34:11 PM
How do we all feel now with the lifting of restrictions? I miss elements of the lockdown, but nothing I can't get over. I will say it has given me time to evaluate what I deem important in my life.

Also, has anyone any thoughts around how the cases have not spiked with the lifting? I suppose we are all conditioned to certain habits now or something along those lines.

I was thinking as well; people keep saying to me that they think it will be back in the winter with a bang. Is that actually likely given that the virus has been basically spreading much the same in hot and cold places?

For me it's no different as I didn't adjust my lifestyle. Again being intimidating looking has advantages, even though the emotional working out of the pandemic has been gruelling. Mainly working out other people's emotions, but hard work nonetheless.

I missed out on driving away into the countryside as I like to do at the weekends and didn't see much of the family. Other than that, work every day as normal so not a lot changed for me either except I did it to the backdrop of deserted streets and nighttime silence. That is the part I will miss, I think: the silence. Also had the kids constantly under my feet at home and that was probably the toughest element of things.

Working around the public as I do, a lot of them annoyed me with their general fearful ways but that is nothing new anyway.

I do notice the shops have taken a bit of an "aren't you lucky we're letting you in" attitude vs the traditional thankfulness for my custom. I think I will shop online more for the next while until this dies down.

Quote from: astfgyl on June 20, 2020, 06:38:52 PM
I missed out on driving away into the countryside as I like to do at the weekends and didn't see much of the family. Other than that, work every day as normal so not a lot changed for me either except I did it to the backdrop of deserted streets and nighttime silence. That is the part I will miss, I think: the silence. Also had the kids constantly under my feet at home and that was probably the toughest element of things.

Working around the public as I do, a lot of them annoyed me with their general fearful ways but that is nothing new anyway.

I do notice the shops have taken a bit of an "aren't you lucky we're letting you in" attitude vs the traditional thankfulness for my custom. I think I will shop online more for the next while until this dies down.

will we ever know if all this was part of a demonitisation process, and a streamlining of commerce into a kind of vertical economy- us to the cloud to us kinda thing, instead of horizontal to local shops or even those abstract shopping centres of yore, just after the roundabout to nowhere?

as above so below, but with conspicuous consumption.

Worth reading the full article ->

https://www.timesofisrael.com/recovered-covid-19-patients-suffer-major-ongoing-physical-cognitive-problems/

I'd like to know the % of people suffering from post covid issues.

My granny is 96 she tested positive twice. After the first test she was sick for about 3 days and that was it. This was about 6 weeks ago and she seems to be fine now.

Me and the missus were both positive back the end of March. Two months on and we're both absolutely shattered tired the whole time, going out for short stroll around the park for half an hour will leave me out of breath, and back on inhalers for asthma after about 10 years off them. It's fucking shite

Quote from: Trev on June 22, 2020, 05:37:37 PM
Me and the missus were both positive back the end of March. Two months on and we're both absolutely shattered tired the whole time, going out for short stroll around the park for half an hour will leave me out of breath, and back on inhalers for asthma after about 10 years off them. It's fucking shite

That's rough man. Hopefully you get it worked out of your system soon enough. I can't 100% vouch for what there is to it, but maybe you could find ways of upping your vitamin D production/intake, especially if the condition itself is contributing to limited sunlight exposure. In any case, as long as you don't OD on supplements, it has a very limited capacity for harm. Is it something that was mentioned during your treatment, out of curiosity?

Sorry to hear that Trev, nasty business. Jesus it's nearly 3 months later now and all. Hope ye're improving slowly but surely anyway.

Any idea if it stemmed from a cluster /known cases, or was it community transmitted? Irrelevant really when you're back on inhalers etc but just curious. I know of 2 people who died after picking it up from a buddy who was over in Cheltenham (disaster letting that go ahead, compounded by people deciding for themselves to go anyway).

Quote from: Snare on June 22, 2020, 07:19:14 PM
Sorry to hear that Trev, nasty business. Jesus it's nearly 3 months later now and all. Hope ye're improving slowly but surely anyway.

Any idea if it stemmed from a cluster /known cases, or was it community transmitted? Irrelevant really when you're back on inhalers etc but just curious. I know of 2 people who died after picking it up from a buddy who was over in Cheltenham (disaster letting that go ahead, compounded by people deciding for themselves to go anyway).
I'm living just down the road from where the first case was in the school in Glasnevin so I reckon there's a good chance it was community, but my missus is an ICU nurse so theres a chance it might have been picked up there, no way to know for certain

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 22, 2020, 06:01:13 PM

That's rough man. Hopefully you get it worked out of your system soon enough. I can't 100% vouch for what there is to it, but maybe you could find ways of upping your vitamin D production/intake, especially if the condition itself is contributing to limited sunlight exposure. In any case, as long as you don't OD on supplements, it has a very limited capacity for harm. Is it something that was mentioned during your treatment, out of curiosity?

The treatment was basically to stay home, isolate and if it gets really bad go the hospital. Never reached that point but there were one or two days I'd really considered it. My GP rang me for a follow up a few weeks ago and they said they'd quite a few cases of post viral fatigue, so I guess it's just whatever way some people's bodies deal with it?

Still, seems to be something that goes away on its own after a while, just a case of lashing in multivitamins, a nice strong coffee or three to get through the day and waiting it out. Getting through a fair amount of shite on Netflix though! 😂

That sounds like no fun man. Hopefully you will pick back up soon and all the best with that to yourself and the missus. It's crazy the range of effects this thing has, all the way from asymptomatic right through to fatal, with everything in between.

There must be something genetic that triggers certain effects or something like that, maybe blood type or something but surely a lot of those possibilities have been already well researched but it will certainly be interesting to see if the connection between severity and whatever it is that triggers it at different levels or what is lacking in those who suffer more if it comes to light.

QuoteProfessor Ed Bullmore, a neuroscientist at Cambridge University, told The Independent there was enough evidence now to describe the Sars-CoV-2 virus as causing a "neurotoxic illness", adding that it was possible the psychiatric effects could last beyond a decade. He said research had shown that a number of Covid-19 patients experienced a "kind of altered mental state", adding that this included "cases of psychosis mood disorder and cognitive impairment".

"We don't know necessarily the causes of that neurotoxicity," he said. "It could be that the virus infects the brain; it could be that the immune response to the virus damages the brain, or it could be the blood supply to the brain. All those mechanisms look plausible at the moment.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-long-term-health-disease-covid-19-lungs-heart-brain-a9546671.html

"The impact of being ventilated and on an ICU bed for weeks at a time is profound for your cognitive ability, and physical and mental wellbeing," she added. "You'd hope that people can recover but it won't be spontaneous and it'll need to be supported."
But capacity to support these patients remains a concern among rehabilitation experts.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-we-know-about-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19