Quote from: ldj on January 10, 2020, 08:09:53 PM
Surprised The Sciences by Sleep hasn't been mentioned.
I listened to it alot when it came out but its lost its luster fairly sharpish

It was poor.

The Sound Of Perseverance is appalling.

Quote from: Carnage on January 12, 2020, 09:04:05 AM
It was poor.

The Sound Of Perseverance is appalling.
Weaker than the rest out their output certainly but appalling? Ah here!

The Sound of Perseverance used to be my favourite Death album as I got my hands on it before Human, ITP and Symbolic.

It's a bit patchy in places, sure, but there's no denying songs like Spirit Crusher and Bite the Pain. A Moment of Clarity is also my favourite Death song.

I'll still reach for it any day of the week over the first three records.

The first four are untouchable, and Symbolic's also pretty good, the return to a relatively straightforward sound in comparison to the albums either side of it was most welcome. TSOP is just a mess (his vocals are particularly bad) and ITP's noodly nonsense is almost as unlistenable. The sound of Schuldiner disappearing up his own arse.

I thought ITP was pretty bang on, the songs don't meander and there's some wild lead playing on there too.

I'd actually level that complaint at TSoP - Flesh and the Power it Holds literally stops at one point. I dig his vocals on it.

Been sitting here like a gowl for the last twenty minutes listening to it without thinking of this thread, namely Solitude Aeturnus - "Alone".

Great record, wonderful atmosphere and I've also found it interesting in that it's not particularly heavy for a doom album. Actually got a friend into it precisely because it isn't heavy.

Appalling is a bit strong!, i can definitely see why people might not like it,but still a belter of an album.

In any case, it's not a comeback album, regardless of what it was originally intended to be. It's a Chuck and co. album like all their others.

Leprosy is a belter for me, remember hearing it for the first time and being blown away, love spiritual healing and human, wasn't to crazy about much of their stuff after that, the earlier stuff was just vicious, that's just me though

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 12, 2020, 02:04:58 PM
In any case, it's not a comeback album, regardless of what it was originally intended to be. It's a Chuck and co. album like all their others.

I see Your point, however I could swear that Death officially broke up after Symbolic, so it kinda fits.

As for the album itself, it just seems to be one of those love it/hate it records. I loved it when it came out, although as the years passed by I can here certain lack of focus and indeed "patchiness" (i. e. "Flesh and the power...").

"Human" is my personal favourite of theirs. But I can imagine someone naming any Death album as their best and making compelling argument. And sure, I understand the importance of the early records for the scene.

If this forum had moderators, they'd be saying "Back on topic."

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 08, 2020, 11:33:36 PM
This morning I've been kicking back and reading to the delightful strains of Beherit's 'Engram' and Burzum's 'Belus', two excellent comeback albums.

I haven't listened to 'Engram' in ages and I really enjoyed it.  It's much less bockety and all over the gaff than 'Drawing Down the Moon', more controlled and hypnotic,  and a most pleasant listen. 'Demon Advance' is a great, trancey way to finish the album using a grand total of two notes throughout its lengthy duration but works really well in its pacing and meditative atmosphere.

'Belus' has similarities but is far more melodic.  It's more melodic and bright than most of the early Burzum stuff as well which is often relentless in its gloominess. The comeback stuff sounds more positive and celebratory to my ear,  and I love it.  'Belus' and 'Fallen' are incredible albums and I return to them quite a lot. I listened to 'Umskiptar' the other day and realised it's a banger,  too,  but I let it slip past me as I always lumped it in with his plinky plonky stuff that doesn't really appeal to me.  I'll have to see if I can pick up a copy and get to know it a bit more.

Any other convincing comebacks that either recapture the band's original sound or expand into new and exciting territory?

Was there not a criticism of Belus at the time that it was mainly older pre written material from the 90s and as such was not exactly a comeback? In any case though its a fair while since I listened to it, I agree, fab album.

Umskiptar I've always championed. Great hypnotic soothing stuff. The way the whole album fades out over the last few tracks is brilliant. It was a real departure from the belus/fallen sound and proof that the mad lad knows his way around creating a tune. Pity he turfed it in for board games.

Must give Umskiptar a listen tonight. I used to find Filosofem a great album to fall asleep to, fierce hypnotic listening!