U2 - Achtung Baby

And yes....Surgical Steel was a savage album!!

Good calls on Surgical Steel (on a par with Symphonies... and Necroticism... for me, and much better than their other material) and Black Gives Way To Blue, though that took a while to click for me. Acid Reign too, obviously.

Are we just talking about bands who've reformed, or including bands who've returned to form? If the latter, then I'd chalk up another vote each for Brave New World and Firepower. Overkill's White Devil Armoury was their best since (at least) Horrorscope, and I'd have Anthrax's Worship Music as their best since Persistence Of Time.

Sol Invictus was awful to my ears, just another Mike Patton album as opposed to sitting alongside FNM's previous albums.

I didn't think much of A World Lit Only By Fire TBH but Post Self is every but as good as their classic albums IMO.

Lads you're just listing albums now. How the fuck can Overkill have a comeback album when they've never been away?

Well cut Maiden some slack on it at least being a comeback with Bruce  :laugh:

No slack will be cut this day!

Mental. Anthrax comeback? Maybe you could classify Worship Muck as one as they hadn't put out anything in almost a decade.

Surgical Steel up there with Symphonies and Necrotism, think some of you are doing the leftover coke from the Stryker xmas party

Cynic - Traced In Air
Atheist - Jupiter
Satan - Life Sentence (not mentioned yet but an absolutely stellar comeback album!)
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Nocturnus - Paradox
FNM - Sol Invictus

Both Maiden and U2 were comeback albums, Maiden couldn't sell out a portaloo at that stage of their career and U2 had to reinvent themselves after shooting themselves in the foot with Rattle and Hum...

Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

Fucking banger. And one of my favourite albums of all time.

You have to go away to come back, lads. Releasing a good album after a shit one isn't a comeback, you can call it a return to form or renewed maximisation of artistic and commercial potential or whatever, but it isn't a comeback. The clue is in the thread title "Strong Comeback Albums".  That means there can be shit comebacks, too.

Tempo of the Damned was a strong one, alright.

Rush - Vapor Trails

Quote from: Juggz on January 09, 2020, 01:59:00 PM
You have to go away to come back, lads. Releasing a good album after a shit one isn't a comeback, you can call it a return to form or renewed maximisation of artistic and commercial potential or whatever, but it isn't a comeback. The clue is in the thread title "Strong Comeback Albums".  That means there can be shit comebacks, too.

Tempo of the Damned was a strong one, alright.

Rush - Vapor Trails

Rush is an interesting one. They  never really went away, sure they gave Peart some time and space after everything that happened to him but didn't actually break up. Then again they also said they weren't sure if he was going to come back which would have been the end of the band so...
Great album all the same

Peart had told them he was done after his daughter died. They (at least with Peart) didn't exist for a few years.

I'm not budging on Brave New World being a comeback album  :laugh: Firepower fair enough, though I would argue that they were ABSENT or uninvolved, in the same way a parent can be accused of being absent or uninvolved and in the same way Liverpool FC was absent from their righful place in the premier league for the last 30 years. Reinkaos was a comeback album, though they never split up to the best of my knowledge...does it require a split for it to be a comeback? If so, Smith and Dickinson not being in Maiden I would deem a split and their return was a comeback..I rest my case  :abbath:1