:laugh: Ah man, that terrible crack-of-thunder snare is the making of Leprosy, it makes the album

Ah lads ye couldn't have Leprosy sounding any other way than it does. Very much a product of it's time and fantastically blurring the lines between death and thrash.

Hypocrisy are a band that absolutely fall into the questionable production category but so many of those earlier albums still sound savage even though something feels a bit amiss in the sound

5 pages in and nobody has mentioned Carcass - Reek Of Putrefaction yet?  It definitely has to be up there,  the band themselves hated the production and blamed the engineer but the sound is so raw and primitive I can't imagine it sounding any different. it's not hard to see how its often credited for creating Goregrind. 

I've been thinking about the lo fi black metal albums. At this stage are they really questionable productions? I would have thought it was the norm by now.

It's more of an aesthetic decision than a lack of ability when it comes to raw BM.