Ha will definitely watch that!

That trailer has definitely piqued my interest, it actually looks quite good.

Made by people who don't understand Metal for people who don't understand Metal..

The trailer actually made me want to see it more, it looks so shit and retarded that it could be hilarious, intentionally or not. I'll be checking it out for sure.

#34 January 22, 2019, 11:01:40 PM Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:04:21 PM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: vavonia on January 22, 2019, 10:13:13 PM
Made by people who don't understand Metal for people who don't understand Metal..

Yes, I imagine most of the audience for this film won't be either Joey DeMaio or on the autism scale, so you're probably correct. And I can't for one second believe a former Bathory member would have any understanding whatsoever of metal, least of all how over the top it is.

Just noticed this has popped up on the IFCO website as having recieved an 18 cert and a release date in Ireland of March 29th which suggests it will perhaps be on big screens here? Though I imagine in a limited manner.

"Yes, I imagine most of the audience for this film won't be either Joey DeMaio or on the autism scale, so you're probably correct. And I can't for one second believe a former Bathory member would have any understanding whatsoever of metal, least of all how over the top it is."

By people who don't understand Metal for people who don't understand Metal.......

Let's be fair, it's quite likely all of these lads were rather obnoxious teenagers taking themselves too seriously and acting the bollox and, if that comes across on the screen, it is a more accurate reflection of events than sage-like youths deliberately pontificating their way to an artistic revolution.

#37 January 23, 2019, 09:36:51 AM Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:44:55 AM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: Juggz on January 23, 2019, 08:49:05 AM
Let's be fair, it's quite likely all of these lads were rather obnoxious teenagers taking themselves too seriously and acting the bollox and, if that comes across on the screen, it is a more accurate reflection of events than sage-like youths deliberately pontificating their way to an artistic revolution.

This, for sure, that's what I was getting at in an admittedly fairly mean spirited way above. We're really never going to know what these people were really like privately anyway beyond books or zine interviews or documentaries anyway. I get that people are very attached to the subject matter and that but it's been hilarious watching a particular type of black metal internet warriors elsewhere who would have either been toddlers or not even concieved at the time of these events complaining about how this movie is inaccurate in some way. Very different if you're one of the people portrayed in it though. I guess how easy it is to enjoy is based on how seriously you take black metal really.

Looking at reviews over the last while it's mad that the film I keep seeing used as a reference/comparison for this is "Trainspotting".

I wonder if we're gonna get a sequel? "Absurd: the Movie" maybe? I'd quite happily sit through a Jonas Akerlund directedQuorthon movie as well actually. Or a reboot of Spinal Tap with Nifelheim as the main protagonists. Or a "Withnail and I" type comedy romp based on the stories of teenage drinking and partying in the Swedish Death Metal book

Well, yes and no. I totally get the idea that they could very likely have been a bunch of obnoxious youths who were just acting up and looking for attention. Certainly history has a way of making it all seem very mature, creating a mystical aura around it all. What cannot be denied, however, are the serious church burnings and murders, that things got very sinister indeed and far more life and death than anyone could have imagined.

If we look back at most revolutions or wars, we will probably find at their core, quite young and highly idealistic men. Alexander the Great was conquering countries when he was barely a man. The punks were the same..whether by choice or by coincidence, the likes of the Sex Pistols had a huge influence on their generation and subsequent generations. Varg, has proven himself over the years to be a mad mofo, not your run of the mill human being by any stretch. So it wasn´t just a bunch of goths hanging around the central bank and drinking in Fibbers after, it was far more life and death and extreme. The whole truth we will never know but the Dawsons Creek vibe to the trailer seems a little bit too Americanised and out of place.

Sure, but it's a dramatisation which needs to cater to an audience who haven't a fucking clue who any of the kids are, nor where they end up and it'll condense the events of a few years into 2 hours. In order to make a cohesive narrative, they'll massage timelines and events in order to get the story across clearly. They have to. I'm sure there have been enough movies made which include murder and destruction where they didn't explore the depth and individual nuances of a misunderstood white-trash dickhead, but that's the way it goes and we generally let it slide because it's just a movie made to entertain. Getting precious over this is missing the point.

I, for one, am looking forward to that lingering shot of Varg's troubled face as Euronymous walks away where you suddenly realise "He's a bad 'un!"

And let's not lose sight of the fact that your average cinema goer who, when confronted with teenagers acting like cunts, wearing panda make-up and giving themselves names like "Count Grishnackh", will think these lads are fucking spas - just like if you saw a film with some langer from Cork in a tracksuit with the socks pulled up insisting on being called MC Beatz or whatever. No matter how serious it gets, if the protagonists aren't emotionally engaging in some way, the film won't work. No matter how serious it got, they have to make a group of cretins engaging or the movie doesn't work. So forgive them some artistic licence for the sake of it getting made and released.

#41 January 23, 2019, 10:41:59 AM Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:55:42 AM by Cernunnos
 We all know  is that they where just kids when all the sh1t went down, im Just half way through Blood Fire Death book, i knew alot of this little scene but  one thing that really struck me was just how massively immature they all where.

For example Varg used to visit Sweden and meet up with IT form abruptum  who had set up "The True Satanist Horde" so Jon (dissection) , IT and Varg along with other kids would sit around and just fight who was more "Evil" and say crazy things they would do .One in particular went over to some elderly couple and asked for directions then stabbed him in the throat.

Varg then did all what he did to prove just how evil he really was in my option. Obviously a narcissistic kid, and he still is judging by his youtube channel.   

So this film might be rubbish, cringe but the actual factual story seems just as comical. (obviously the Kvlt fans cant see any of this)

Ill deffo be watching it anyways.

#42 January 23, 2019, 10:50:42 AM Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:53:42 AM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: Pedrito on January 23, 2019, 10:02:01 AM

If we look back at most revolutions or wars, we will probably find at their core, quite young and highly idealistic men. Alexander the Great was conquering countries when he was barely a man. The punks were the same..whether by choice or by coincidence, the likes of the Sex Pistols had a huge influence on their generation and subsequent generations.

Fairly big leap there between a king and a band we know now were partially manufactured to help sell clothes.

On a more trivial note I do wonder did Oliver Stone and Farreller have historians ripping into them on history forums about the accuracy of "Alexander"? Or does Gary Oldman & Alex Cox get flak still about Sid and Nancy?

I believe Oldman did get some grief for a scene in that recent Churchill movie which never happened in reality  :laugh:

I should probably watch this movie seeing as I would primarily listen to black metal over all other kinds of music but have the last couple of years been questioning myself over the wisdom and merit of the whole thing. To enjoy and 'get' black metal you have to turn a blind eye to a fair amount of the cringey stuff and look at it as a sort of time and place kind of thing. That said I often wonder now if the majority of what I listen to actually qualifies as a guilty pleasure?!!!