Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 09, 2019, 09:47:03 AM
I've still not watched Bohemian Rhapsody actually, must rectify that.

Kinda hoping one of these days that we get a Def Leppard/Meatloaf "Movie of the week" style job about either Glenn Danzig or Dave Mustaine.

Thought there was something a couple of years back about Mustaine and his pups doing an Osbournes type show. It was being done to "help" his daughter raise her singing profile. If she sings like her auld lad though it'd take more than a reality  TV show.

Back on topic though, I'd like to see this movie but purely from a car crash, morbid curiosity type way. I've always found black metal hilarious in a "what the fuck is wrong with yiz!?" kind of way so the more ridiculous it looks, the more appeal it holds.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 11, 2019, 03:10:38 PM
Ha. I did a paper on Norwegian Black Metal for a Sociology class I did as part of my course in WIT years ago. Got marked fairly well for it in fairness.
At least I wasn't the only one so.  Yours was definitely a more relevant course though!
Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 11, 2019, 03:41:22 PM
Nothing cringe in that :)
Most of the cringe comes from how out of place it was, everyone else was talking about Java or doing up their cars and the like, then suddenly a few stabbings and how to know if your riffs are grim sounding.

OK, so this is obviously a black comedy (no pun intended). I'm looking forward to seeing it and have no issue whatsoever with an irreverent take on the subject. I can clearly remember reading about this as a young fella (Kerrang I think) and being in awe of the whole episode, but now, with hindsight, it's apparent that these were a bunch of socially inept teenagers with delusions of grandeur.  So a ridiculous story to begin with really.

Yeah I get that. These guys were so up their own holes it was comical but get the vibe right. Some of the stuff in this borders on slapstick.

Not sure I'll bother with this but Deathgasm is worth a watch, mixture of comedy, zombies, demons and metal.

https://youtu.be/VfpwlWzOmNk

Quote from: ochoill on January 11, 2019, 06:30:55 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 11, 2019, 03:10:38 PM
Ha. I did a paper on Norwegian Black Metal for a Sociology class I did as part of my course in WIT years ago. Got marked fairly well for it in fairness.
At least I wasn't the only one so.  Yours was definitely a more relevant course though!

I was doing Legal Studies at the time so..

Black metal became a laughing stock because people finally stopped being horrified by it. When it was at it's most obscure, however, and being reported about in metal mags, it was proper sinister. The shit used give me nightmares. All that stuff about Dod killing himself and Varg and all the talk coming out of Norway, it was heavy as fuck at the time. I think we forget that. Just my tuppence worth, but it felt very real. What represents it nowadays, from my outsider perspective, is a kind of pale imitation of that. Big party, beer, festivals, lads roaring about satan, but it's all become very safe and brought into the mainstream, in a similar way to rap music. The original stuff was bonkers, nihilistic, suicidal, madness from my teenage vantage point though, and I was only really into it in a peripheral, JK on the radio, Kerrang magazine sense. Not saying that great art cannot still come from the genre, but the roots of it all were wild out, hard to follow as such.

The movie should be interesting..

#24 January 18, 2019, 10:05:41 AM Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:08:41 AM by Pentagrimes
This newest teaser trailer seems to indicate Mr Culkin has gone to the Bill & Ted school of acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-z1CmuItx0

Obviously the awfulness of this is just making me want to see this more now lads. It's either going to be an over the top accidental masterpiece ala the aforementioned awful Germs movie, or it's actually a clever commentary on the fact that black metal is indeed absolutely dumb as fuck. Either way, I'm sold.

Also can I point out real quick that in my limited understanding of the cvlter than thou mindset, there's no fucking way euronymous would have had a "Vanity/Nemesis" poster on his wall surely?

It's a very underestimated album.

Oh I like it, but Surely these lads would have thought it was for posers and that poster on his wall should be a "Morbid Tales" one?

It looks like they added 40 gallons of Dawson's Creek in there. I cannot fucking wait to see it  :laugh: