#376 August 21, 2024, 10:17:39 PM Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 10:20:43 PM by Mooncat
I've read Nothin' But a Good Time. It's a good read, but it depends what you're looking for. It came out in the middle of the #MeToo era so if you're looking for stories of wild debauchery they just aren't in there. Like, at all. Everybody is very clearly self-aware and on their best behaviour on that front. Given that's what you associate that era with, that was a disappointment.

What it does have is tons of really interesting stories about what it was like being in a band in those days, what the scene was like, how hard they worked to promote themselves, how they worked with MTV and labels, how they made music videos, coped with celebrity, how important it was to be a great musician etc. 

EDIT: Should prob be in the books thread, but if it's debauchery you're after then check out Please Kill Me, plus of course, The Dirt.

I remember my mother trying to impress a posh guest by arranging a selection of books on the coffee table. One of the books on top was my copy of The Dirt. :laugh: 

Quote from: Maggot Colony on August 22, 2024, 09:36:12 AMI remember my mother trying to impress a posh guest by arranging a selection of books on the coffee table. One of the books on top was my copy of The Dirt. :laugh: 

:laugh:

Completely unrelated, but I worked with a guy many years ago who told me his mum considered herself a cut above the riff raff and insisted on pronouncing 'baguette' the proper French way... bagoo!  :laugh: 

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 23, 2024, 07:01:39 AMCompletely unrelated, but I worked with a guy many years ago who told me his mum considered herself a cut above the riff raff and insisted on pronouncing 'baguette' the proper French way... bagoo!  :laugh: 

Reminds me of an old joke.

Lad walks into a corner shop, up to the counter.

"Howyeh? Do yis have a Black Forest Gatt-ox?"

"Sorry, a what?" asks the shopkeeper.

"A Black Forest Gatt-ox" repeats the customer.

"Oh a Black Forest Gateaux! Yes. We do. It's pronounced gatt-oh by the way. Should I put it in a bag?"

"Nah. Don't bother your boll-oh"

Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 23, 2024, 09:28:06 AMReminds me of an old joke.

Lad walks into a corner shop, up to the counter.

"Howyeh? Do yis have a Black Forest Gatt-ox?"

"Sorry, a what?" asks the shopkeeper.

"A Black Forest Gatt-ox" repeats the customer.

"Oh a Black Forest Gateaux! Yes. We do. It's pronounced gatt-oh by the way. Should I put it in a bag?"

"Nah. Don't bother your boll-oh"

Nothin' But A Good Time is up. Good watch, but kinda disjointed with the timelines. Definitely lifted a few ideas from Mike Judge's "Tales From The Tour Bus"