I thought it was a very good album. Lacking in a real rough edge to it maybe, and generally safe, sure, but it was solid enough for me to keep it on my frequently played list for a good while after. When that initial period where I couldn't put the album down was over with though, I've never revisited it and had it more or less forgotten about. Read into that what you will.

I agree with the comparison between Surgical Steel to Heartwork mentioned previously. I hope if the band want to pay homage to their past again with this new album, they go back a bit farther to the uglier stuff.

Not sure they can win either way. It's either they'll do another Surgical Steel or they will go balls out and pay homage to their past.

Much as I'd love "Symphonies of Sickness" part two my feeling is another album will lean more towards "Swansong". Unfortunately.
Still, I finally got to see "Exhume to Consume" played live so I'm happy either way.

Surgical Steel left very little impression on me at the time and consequently ive ignored it ever since, perhaps  a revisit is due. Saw them at Hellfest (in 2010?)and they played a nice best of type set as far as i recall.

I did get a buzz out of hearing a decent Carcass album after so long. Like a few people said, I don't revisit it at all.

QuoteI did get a buzz out of hearing a decent Carcass album after so long

This sums it up for me really. The album has no staying power, I've listened to Nevrotism more if anything since Surgicals release.

Same with Faith No More, thought I loved Sol Invictus upon its release but dug it out for the first time in aeons there the other day and thought it was crap. A handful of decent tracks but really feels unfinished.

Quote from: Cryptic Stench on December 04, 2018, 01:01:45 PM
QuoteI did get a buzz out of hearing a decent Carcass album after so long

Same with Faith No More, thought I loved Sol Invictus upon its release but dug it out for the first time in aeons there the other day and thought it was crap. A handful of decent tracks but really feels unfinished.

I have to say that I agree with this statement, have not revisited 'Sol Invictus' since I bought it on release . Even then, though there were parts I liked a lot, I was largely underwhelmed by the album. Some of that 'magic' wasn't there, for me anyway. But whatever, bands get older and that's just the way it goes.

Naah, still love "Sol Invictus". Couple of songs I'm not jazzed about ("Black Friday" and "From the Dead") but I'd still spin it quite a bit.

#23 August 21, 2020, 10:54:47 AM Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:03:24 AM by Pentagrimes
New single popped up on Spotify this morning "Living Dead In The Manchester Morgue". Not bad on first listen. New ep in October, lp is delayed. And all the early albums are back on streaming services

While many people were hailing it as a great return at the time, it left little impression on me.  Heartwork and Necroticism  are way better.

I'd fun reading through this thread - I had it on about a month ago and still think it's great. I'm in the "Heartwork is their best album" camp, so the style here suited me. I think Dan Wilding sufficiently updated their overall sound too.

Agree entirely with Pentagrimes on the previous page about some of it sounding kinda Megadeth-y - that intro to Unfit for Human Consumption!

Time to have a listen to the newie.

#26 August 21, 2020, 01:21:39 PM Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:23:53 PM by Paul keohane
Quote from: Cailleach on August 21, 2020, 12:30:32 PM
While many people were hailing it as a great return at the time, it left little impression on me.  Heartwork and Necroticism  are way better.
I dont think anyone would dispute that,id rate Necroticism as the best DM album to come out of the UK.People just simply pointing out that SS was a good comeback.

Revisited Necrotiscism recently and found it far less exciting than I remember. Some of those songs are way too long.

I'd argue SOS is the best UK death metal album but really that period of Carcass is a different band to everything that came after.

It's (Surgical) a fantastic album that just got better with every listen, I'd rank it third after Symphonies and Necroticism - which is a much better album after you remove the annoying intros.

The new song is a bit of a mess TBH, doesn't do anything for me.

Yeah will give the new one a few more goes later but an initial listen didn't do much.

Those fuckin' intros on Necroticism, bah, hate them. They're the main reason why I've never spent as much time with that album as I otherwise would've.