Given the state of them, these days, surely it's a good thing they leave the classics alone and only butcher the memory of the weaker tracks for the crowd, no?

Hopefully that's the way they do the encore at Slane. Perfect opportunity to get the hell out of dodge and beat the traffic.

Quote from: Emphyrio on May 03, 2019, 08:12:28 AM
Hopefully that's the way they do the encore at Slane. Perfect opportunity to get the hell out of dodge and beat the traffic.

Nah, they'll substitute lords of summer for whisky in the jar!!! Oh lordy

I'm going to the Cure instead.

itt can we restrict conversation to when Metallica were at the top of their game?

There's been a few reaction video's popping up on youtube about the concert they played in Russia in the early 90's.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Harvester of Sorrow from Moscow in 1991 is without doubt my fav live performance of theirs.

Unreal

Great video and a classic performance. I got the AJFA box set just to get  this on vinyl and MP3 really.

The Canada video from 86 referred to above is savage too.

Seattle '89 is their finest hour IMO. I bought Live Shit... just for that, really.

Quote from: Gibonz on May 09, 2019, 12:45:52 PM
Harvester of Sorrow from Moscow in 1991 is without doubt my fav live performance of theirs.

Unreal
When they stop and Hetfield hocks up a mouthful, turns my stomach.

#54 July 10, 2019, 02:30:37 PM Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:34:13 PM by leatherface
Picked up 'Master of Puppets' on cassette this week second hand (from a book/record shop in Spain) and had forgotten about 'The Thing That Should Not Be', badass song, just love those slow, chunky riffs. Do/did they play this much live?

"The Thing That Should Not Be" is my ground zero for metal and by extension, music in general. It's still my favourite Metallica tune and the first thing I listen to when I stick MoP on.

I was so late to really appreciating that song. It's so fucking heavy. The riff when the solo kicks in is fucking crushing

According to some setlist website they played it live in the Point in 99. I was there but don't remember it specifically. I just remember having mixed emotions about that gig. As a 16 year old at one of my first metal gigs and being a Metallica fanatic I was conflicted between the elation of seeing them live and the disappointment of the newer material and the weaker overall sound and set list of the band in that era.

Yeah is was on their setlist for the 1999 tour, like you i  dont remember it  being played, my young brain and alcohol didnt help.
only memory was battery at the end of the set.