March 16, 2019, 09:42:32 PM Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:27:46 PM by Eoin McLove
What a stunning performance of a band at the absolute peak of their power.  When I was a massively obsessed Metallica fan in the early nineties I never saw this footage.  Where/how was it originally released? I stopped listening to Metallica for years as I was delving into other areas of metal but have come back to them in the last decade or so and have only become familiar with this footage in recent years.  I keep coming back to it with a few tins on the weekends. What an utterly ruthless set.  I think if I'd seen them in 90/91/92 at the height of my obsession my head would have exploded. 

It was in the Live Shit boxset, think that came out around 92/3?

YouTube saves the day! It's mad,  I'm too old for hero worship but watching this gives me vivid memories of my complete and utter adulation.  These people were my gods! I wonder are there bands out there any more who young lads regard as being larger than life or has the internet ruined that.

'Live Shit: Binge and Purge'

This was a staple diet for me back in the mists of time. A mate had the videos and it was the Seattle show that always stood out. Another one I remember watching constantly was a show recorded for BBC television, also 'And Justice..' era. A personal highlight from the Seattle show for me is a short moment after Jason's bass solo (I think ) where they start playing a part of 'To live is to die', really atmospheric.

Jason's bass solo on here now,  coincidentally...

Would have killed to see them live around then. An absolute force, and I don't think any metal band has ever matched how good they were back then, most notably, themselves. Peak band at peak powers. Untouchable, really.

Hot Tub Time Machine fire Christmas,  wha!

Quote from: Eoin McLove on March 16, 2019, 10:39:05 PM
Hot Tub Time Machine fire Christmas,  wha!

Because that sounds only semi-gay, fuck ya!!

Sure I'm on a semi just thinking about it.

#9 March 16, 2019, 11:49:11 PM Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:05:59 AM by Wiseblood
Phenomenal performance. Also worth looking up on youtube is Canada 1986 (with Newsted) . It was late 86 and they were FERAL. Their encore of Fight Fire With Fire and Blitzkrieg is just otherworldly.

It's a great gig!!! Whiplash is insane on it!!! I wore Live Shit Binge and Purge out back in the day along with Slayers Live Intrusion and Sepultura Live in Barcelona. That Seps gig from Barcelona is amazing!!!

Yeah the Seps one in Barcelon is incredible!,i was an absolute Metallica fanatic for the first few years of my metal life.Only saw them the once on the load tour in the Point.,it was brilliant but no Seattle!

I've got the box set and must've returned to the Seattle show 20 times since I got it. By contrast, I can't watch the other set, San Diego is it? On the black album tour. Musically solid but heading into the Metallica Family pantomime shit that's completely absent from Seattle.

They were the greatest metal band ever. That's not to say others aren't amazing, it's saying at that time, Metallica were stratospherically fucking good. There's a great interview on youtube, Billy Corgan telling Lars about seeing them on the Ride the Lightning tour and that the roof nearly came off the place, it was so intense. Goosebump stuff.

Yeah at their peak they were untouchable,i still remember the day i first heard them.I was about 11,a guy in school had Master of puppets in his walkman,my  jaw hit the floor,that was introduction to metal,hooked for life!.