I wasn't even drunk but don't remember much about the details of that gig, except that they played Nothing Else Matters, which gave me the excuse to nab the young wan who'd worked with me in Tesco a couple of years before and make the most of the lowest point of the setlist.

18, first BIG concert, first time seeing Metalli-fuckin-a... I was in a state of overwhelmed delirium of some kind, and that I remember well.

I  was 18 and over the moon to be at that gig too. I recall being pissed off that I didn't get up closer due to there being the armband/pit craic.

The setlist from that show was pure gold compared to the shite they peddled at Slane.

You can't argue with Breadfan, The Thing That Should Not Be, Fight Fire With Fire and Wherever I May Roam all in the one show.

Monster Magnet were a decent support too.

#62 July 11, 2019, 12:40:40 PM Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:42:24 PM by Carnage
Last time I saw them was when they were touring Load/Reload, which would have been around '97 I think? They were pretty average that night, the whole set-breaking-down shtick was cringeworthy too. I'm more pissed off that I missed COC that night. I was upstairs in the bar, heard them play but wasn't paying much attantion and thought it was just background music before their set.

They were class on the previous tour for the s/t album, though.

Quote from: Grim Reality on July 10, 2019, 11:55:18 PM
According to some setlist website they played it live in the Point in 99. I was there but don't remember it specifically. I just remember having mixed emotions about that gig. As a 16 year old at one of my first metal gigs and being a Metallica fanatic I was conflicted between the elation of seeing them live and the disappointment of the newer material and the weaker overall sound and set list of the band in that era.

I got backstage at that gig and met the guys from Monster Magnet. I doubt they remember meeting me though.

In terms of the Seattle gig one thing that really stands out to me is how good Lars' drumming was. We all know he gets alot of stick and he's no Lombardo or Portnoy but he's very very tight here.

Someone earlier mentioned Harvester of Sorrow from Moscow in '91, I have to agree I still think that's the best recorded performance I've seen of them. The military helicopter flying above the crowd and the troops acting as security is unreal. Pantera were great that day too.

#64 July 19, 2019, 08:54:32 PM Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:09:44 PM by leatherface
Quote from: Adler on July 19, 2019, 04:35:35 PM
Quote from: Grim Reality on July 10, 2019, 11:55:18 PM
According to some setlist website they played it live in the Point in 99. I was there but don't remember it specifically. I just remember having mixed emotions about that gig. As a 16 year old at one of my first metal gigs and being a Metallica fanatic I was conflicted between the elation of seeing them live and the disappointment of the newer material and the weaker overall sound and set list of the band in that era.

Someone earlier mentioned Harvester of Sorrow from Moscow in '91, I have to agree I still think that's the best recorded performance I've seen of them. The military helicopter flying above the crowd and the troops acting as security is unreal. Pantera were great that day too.

There's an interview by Joe Rogan with Hetfield about the Moscow concert,

If you haven't seen it here's the link:

https://youtu.be/qmSgl4mwZ4Q

Nice one 'face. Interesting theory here on what happened to Lar's drumming:

https://youtu.be/fsq-YBVDxgA

:laugh:

Quote from: Snare on July 23, 2019, 01:40:48 PM
Nice one 'face. Interesting theory here on what happened to Lar's drumming:

https://youtu.be/fsq-YBVDxgA

:laugh:

His reaction to Anthrax... He's clearly a man of culture  :laugh:

If anything (gawd forbid) ever happens to Lars, we have a ready made replacement for the drums...

https://youtu.be/Y1Io97JL2EA

QuoteMetallica has been selling out arenas and stadiums across the world during its "WorldWired" tour, which launched in 2016. Germany, Switzerland and Austria are no exception: all 15 concerts in those countries, six stadiums and nine arenas, sold out completely.

The GSA shows sold 486,130 tickets, grossing more than €42 million. To honor this success, Live Nation GSA recently presented Metallica with a Sold Out Award.

I thought they were awarded that the day they called Bob Rock, wha?

Quote from: Juggz on September 16, 2019, 08:54:07 PM
QuoteMetallica has been selling out arenas and stadiums across the world during its "WorldWired" tour, which launched in 2016. Germany, Switzerland and Austria are no exception: all 15 concerts in those countries, six stadiums and nine arenas, sold out completely.

The GSA shows sold 486,130 tickets, grossing more than €42 million. To honor this success, Live Nation GSA recently presented Metallica with a Sold Out Award.

I thought they were awarded that the day they called Bob Rock, wha?

Two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff...

Incidentally, it still sounded better than Lars

My And Justice For All deluxe set just landed today so tomorrows drive to work will be the Seattle gig  :abbath:

Metallica - Live at The Stone Balloon '89 | 720p60fps [Justice Box Set DVD]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgjDKUn455w

Awesome club gig footage at the height of their powers...

Character actor preparation for Some Kind of Monster 2??