I know it was a frowned upon argument on the old site, but literally where are the yonger lads?

Can anyone name a record that had a decent reception produced by a younger band in the past 5 years?

Quote from: Cryptic Stench on November 23, 2018, 09:31:59 AM
I know it was a frowned upon argument on the old site, but literally where are the yonger lads?

Can anyone name a record that had a decent reception produced by a younger band in the past 5 years?
God Alone's EP and Single were well received and both released in the last 12 months.  Would like to hear a full length by them.  Definitely the best younger band in the Irish scene hands down.

What's the cut off for being considered a young band anyway?  25?

#32 November 23, 2018, 09:52:50 AM Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:00:09 AM by Pentagrimes
I have mixed feelings about God Alone. One on hand I think it's great to see such a young band building a name for themselves but... not only have they taken their name from an AOP song, they've actually nicked the riff from the same song and used it. Youthful enthusiasm is one thing,and I know we all borrow to some extent..but plagiarism is another matter entirely.

Compare/contrast time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbfieYwl4aQ - main riff that starts the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YabKhEf_GTk -  the jangly guitar stabs that come in around 0:09 and continue through the song.

Remarkably similar. Ballsy move.

I knew they took their name from an AOP song but never heard it.  Jesus that's pretty similar alright.  Doubt it was intentional and the feel of the songs is different once it gets into it, but given their name that is fucking gas.

It sets a precedent though on the other hand.Can't wait to get my new band Procreation Of The Wicked going now.

Zealot Cult are the most impressive thing I have seen live or heard in quite a while from here.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on November 23, 2018, 09:52:50 AM
I have mixed feelings about God Alone. One on hand I think it's great to see such a young band building a name for themselves but... not only have they taken their name from an AOP song, they've actually nicked the riff from the same song and used it. Youthful enthusiasm is one thing,and I know we all borrow to some extent..but plagiarism is another matter entirely.

Compare/contrast time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YabKhEf_GTk -  the jangly guitar stabs that come in around 0:09 and continue through the song.

Whilst that is similar I've heard their new stuff (which is crazy good) and seen them around 10 times live. They are fucking class live, the recordings are good but nothing compared to live. Its gonna be class seeing how they evolve in the next few years.

Quote from: Ollkiller on November 23, 2018, 11:15:02 AM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on November 23, 2018, 09:52:50 AM

Compare/contrast time:

Whilst that is similar I've heard their new stuff (which is crazy good) and seen them around 10 times live. They are fucking class live, the recordings are good but nothing compared to live. Its gonna be class seeing how they evolve in the next few years especially as the average age of the band is 17.

Quote from: Goatlord on November 23, 2018, 11:10:50 AM
Zealot Cult are the most impressive thing I have seen live or heard in quite a while from here.
Definitely. Lots of other good stuff doing the rounds but they're the ones for me who stand out from the crowd at the moment. Hope this new album will see 'em make waves further afield.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on November 23, 2018, 10:18:37 AM
It sets a precedent though on the other hand.Can't wait to get my new band Procreation Of The Wicked going now.
If it's just that riff over and over then lethal  :D  Astfgyl and I have a (rarely visited lately) band going for years called Antihuman, named after that Godflesh song.  And basically started it after listening to Streetcleaner one time and wanting to do basically exactly that.  We were teenagers, and it changed a lot, but guaranteed we ripped off multiple Godflesh riffs semi-unintentionally.  Surely this is something similar for God Alone, the influence coming on a bit strong rather than an intentional copy.  It is the same riff alright but done in a different way so they oddly might not have even copped it themselves.

Quote from: Ollkiller on November 23, 2018, 11:15:02 AM
Whilst that is similar I've heard their new stuff (which is crazy good) and seen them around 10 times live. They are fucking class live, the recordings are good but nothing compared to live. Its gonna be class seeing how they evolve in the next few years.
Live is the only way to hear them, they are savage.  If they managed to capture on recording how they sound live, it would be way different.  Seen them a few times myself and they always do the trick.

Nothing against the band but they hardly qualify as 'local filth'.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 23, 2018, 12:00:04 PM
Nothing against the band but they hardly qualify as 'local filth'.
Yeah not really, only brought them up because Stenchy was asking about young bands there in general.

Yeah don't want to derail the thread but Zealot Cult are hardly young fellas. Lots of great stuff for sure but it's the same heads over and over....

Quote from: Pentagrimes on November 22, 2018, 04:18:48 PM
I think realistically though it's more vital that younger and newer bands form and get the support. A lot of the aforementioned chops and changes are, as has been mentioned, to do with age and real life circumstances impacting on the ability and motivation to do bands. It'll be interesting to see if the stuff Smythsonian mentioned on the old board comes to fruition for example.

I'd say at a guess going on some conversations I've had  that you're about to get a bunch of "projects" rather than bands (one person and a drum machine is not a band) that will  focus on recording more and will not be playing live...still seems to be a shortage of musicians to facilitate gigging bands for one thing!

I'd noticed a coupl more Irish black and death metal projects pop up seemingly out of nowhere and appear on bandcamps and blogs over the last month or two, but to be honest the standard has been fairly sub par, which is why I guess we aren't discussing them here.

Nail on the head there. The older you get the more stuff you have to do. I'm not a musician at all , but this year (36th) marks the first year in my adult life  I haven't been able to make it to a gig or festival at all.

Who are Malthusian gonna get? I'd imagine it's not easy to pick up those riffs.
Also with Vircolac were you not the founder of the band?
One post but a question for 2 separate members. Sorry.