Do you play an instrument?

Yeah I play guitar, starting a band at the moment (or was before lockdown) with a mate but even that would be more heavy in a crustier Soundgarden type thing than proper metal though.

It depends what you're looking for really, there's some decent rock bands about, but extreme metal (in the traditional sense, like not -core based) is probably nearly non-existent for the most part. If you take a kid who plays guitar and listens to 80's thrash or even a bit of old school death metal, he's going to struggle to find a similarly aged bassist and drummer into the same stuff.

That's a pity but you can't beat a bit of Soundgarden all the same.  Good luck with the project.

Cheers man, hopefully have some tracks recorded by the end of the year anyway.

Foraoisí gan Iniúchadh from Wexford. Only heard of them from a friends timeline on Facebook. Really good stuff! According to Bandcamp the lad is only 14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7znPful5nE&fbclid=IwAR0swGMc7a3uDolp9HzINq6G0WbLD1WjHWFIweMIGopISPVmKC7D3HYQYXY

Fair play to him if he is. That's impressive. Has a fairly consistent feel and manages to incorporate the drum machine in an industrial way.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 16, 2020, 12:51:47 PM
I quietly despair at the idea of there being no metal icons for kids to look up to anymore, and anyway, I'm sure there are, just maybe not in the death, black or doom underground. But in the past youngsters usually worked their way to that stuff over time so your original icons would have been Metallica rather than [insert relevant popular band here]. I also quietly despair at the same old argument that young people aren't getting into underground music because its not a viable money spinner. Has the concept of creativity and the pleasure of simply making good music entirely evaporated? I find that as depressing as the absence of new blood.
yea, 100% man. Or is it laziness too perhaps? Plenty of great musicians here in Ireland that don't play in bands. One would wonder

I dont think that's a surprise.  Playing in a band is an enormous amount of hassle and expense with little or no return.

I have an entirely different perspective on being in a band. I think it includes minor hassle but yields massive rewards, most of which are on a very personal level and almost zero of which boils down to anything financial.

Quote from: hellfire on May 17, 2020, 02:32:17 PM
Foraoisí gan Iniúchadh from Wexford. Only heard of them from a friends timeline on Facebook. Really good stuff! According to Bandcamp the lad is only 14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7znPful5nE&fbclid=IwAR0swGMc7a3uDolp9HzINq6G0WbLD1WjHWFIweMIGopISPVmKC7D3HYQYXY

Doesn't quite hit the spot for me but I'll give it a proper spin later.  Great to see someone getting stuck in all the same. 

I hate the idea of playing in a band.
Much prefer just making music at home by myself.

#191 May 18, 2020, 11:11:41 AM Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:27:58 AM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 18, 2020, 10:10:25 AM
I have an entirely different perspective on being in a band. I think it includes minor hassle but yields massive rewards, most of which are on a very personal level and almost zero of which boils down to anything financial.

I enjoy it nowadays in the same way people probably enjoy a game of 5 aside but if I stop and think about the last two decades worth of doing it...jaysus,what a massive waste of my and everyone else's time.  My perspective has changed massively in the last few months,but sure it might change again in another few.
Having said that,dying to get in to the practice room with the lads again.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on May 18, 2020, 11:11:41 AM

I enjoy it nowadays in the same way people probably enjoy a game of 5 aside but if I stop and think about the last two decades worth of doing it...jaysus,what a massive waste of my and everyone else's time.  My perspective has changed massively in the last few months,but sure it might change again in another few.

Did you not record music with vircolac?
Can't see how you would consider that a waste of time?
Or maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

I love being in  a band. Sure, it can seem like a second job at times, but for one reason or another we'd been on a major go-slow for about a year and a half. Lately we're doing the sharing files thing and finishing songs that way. We've actually been really productive and it's really made me grateful to be able to write music. It also makes you realise why we play music in the first place. I'd never consider the last however many years a waste of time. Better than playing tennis anyway.

#194 May 18, 2020, 11:54:01 AM Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:18:18 PM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: blessed1 on May 18, 2020, 11:29:57 AM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on May 18, 2020, 11:11:41 AM

Did you not record music with vircolac?
Can't see how you would consider that a waste of time?
Or maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

You're not me though,so you're obviously not going to see things the way I do in terms of my own endeavors. I've done plenty more recording than that band as well,that's a blip on a larger radar and I think we've established my contributions meant fuck all.

I guess what I'm trying and failing to explain is nowadays making music doesnt feel like anything beyond a bit of fun to me. Maybe playing the odd local gig is craic whereas as putting time and effort into making albums or playing gigs abroad doesn't really hold any great importance to me in the grand scheme of things because..well, I dont feel like I need to do those things at the moment really.  Been there,done that, overall it wasnt all it cracked up to be.