Arise for me, but the one I've been going for the most of late is Schizophrenia. Also the time and place thing can't be forgotten about in the reckoning and if I was trying to think fairly about it, it's probably BTR was the best.

From the Greene stuff it's Against for me, but A-Lex is right up there.

Must try Dante again and see what I missed.

Beneath The Remains for sure. That opening one-two and the segue between the two tracks..killer stuff. Mass Hypnosis, Slaves Of Pain, Sarcastic Existence, Primitive Future...phew, damn I even used to go out and walk those dirty streets specifically to listen to this album. Schizophrenia then Arise after that.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Arise for me since it was my introduction to them. That opening trio of Arise, Dead Embryonic Cells and Desperate Cry is hard to beat. I still have huge time for Beneath... and Chaos....

I'll be more annoyed if I see Roots getting any love more than the very early stuff. Now that was a bag of shit.

I'm also in the minority that kept with them during the Derrick years and both of the last 2 albums have been a serious high level of quality too. Quadra is a serious swansong for them.

#19 October 22, 2024, 08:02:26 PM Last Edit: October 22, 2024, 08:06:00 PM by Paul keohane
Arise was the first thing I ever heard by them,Chaos AD came out not long after I heard that and as a young fella I loved it too.But BTR is definitely my favourite though;I went back to Chaos AD for nostalgic reasons about 10 years ago;it was grand but doubt I'll be putting it on anytime soon. Schizophrenia I kind of let go over my head a bit in the 90s,I had a crap copy on cassette and let that cloud my judgement for years!.Dumb move!.

Morbid visions etc wss just unlistenable for me in my younger days tbh.

Not a mention of Roots interestingly.Quadra is very good

I'm skipping through their albums here and there's a wealth of quality tunes across almost all of their work.

Ostia, Mask, Moloko Mesto, Resistant Parasites, Hungry, Apes Of God, Agony Of Defeat.... I wish I could write their final setlists  :laugh:

Max era:Chaos AD still holds the top spot as it was how I got into them properly. There's at least 10 bits of that record that will randomly pop into my brain throughout a week.

Derrick era:Quandra. Production-wise it's savage and a showcase for Andreas & Eloy talents, some fantastic playing on it.

Quote from: Don Gately on October 22, 2024, 08:03:15 PMNot a mention of Roots interestingly.Quadra is very good

If Roots had 25 minutes trimmed off it it'd be a much better album but it (and loads of others)fell victim to the mid 90s "FILL THE FUCKING CD TO THE BRIM LADS!" curse.

Had a few tracks off Arise on there and there's an almost industrial feel to some of the riffs and with that mix as well it has a different thing going for it among the early stage albums. Of course I could say for Schizophrenia that it has a sort of punky feel to it that's missing from the others, or that BTR has a murkier DM thing going than those.

Now I'm thinking is it the case that because of the rather differing identities of those three in particular where they honed different elements of their craft, that they never reached a satisfying mix of all those styles with Max, like a sort of peak Sepultura album let's say, until sometime during the Greene era with maybe the last couple being rather quintessential in terms of the sound they'd forged with a couple of decades of that lineup?

Any takers?

Quote from: Carnage on October 22, 2024, 05:44:18 PMMy go to these days is Schizophrenia but that's purely because I've played BTR and Arise to death. I'd have to go with Arise as my favourite.

Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions are unlistenablez anyone who votes for either has AIDScancer of the ears.

Or "hearing AIDS" as I like to call it.

I'll have to fire my Bestial/Morbid CD in the car tomorrow to check my hearing AIDS  8)

Chaos and Arise for me as they are the ones I grew up on. Beneath also a ripper. I have to pick up Schizophrenia at some stage.

#27 October 23, 2024, 08:17:09 AM Last Edit: October 23, 2024, 08:21:32 AM by 91/30
Arise for me, one of the 1st CDs I bought.  I have a later 1997 version of it as as well.  Had the 12" Sepultura – Under Siege (Regnum Irae)...sold it with a heap of others in the mid 90s following 'a spot of bother'
BTR after that then new Cavalera version of Schizophrenia (heresy probably  but I prefer it over the original)
Sold Roots off years ago (was 1 of the 1st metal CDs bought after landing to Australia), never listen to Chaos AD, disaster, no riffs or proper songs but good ould blasting drums

Arise was the first album of theirs I heard so it'll always be my favourite. A lad in school gave me a taped copy and told me they were a death metal band called Arise! Beneath the Remains is a better album, but Arise wins for pure nostalgia.

I find Schizophrenia a bit dull, and haven't listened to it in years. Morbid Visions is great despite what all the falses are saying. 

Echoing a few others here, but Arise and Chaos AD are my go to Max albums.
After that I'd go for Dante XXI and maybe the first two Greene albums.

I never kept up after Dante XXI, but have always been meaning to.