Ah nice. I haven't been up the way yet.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 05, 2026, 05:16:55 AMAh nice. I haven't been up the way yet.

To be honest if I wasn't tied down here Id move to Melbourne, or Tasmania even, summer temperatures for a tradesman out in it all day are getting harder to stick as I get older. Buried an old friend a few weeks ago, gone before his time from Melanoma, he spent years getting burned, loved the heat, you'd see him with white circles around the eyes where the safety glasses had absorbed the UV, the rest of his face red / black like the divil

Quote from: 91/30 on September 05, 2026, 06:08:21 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 05, 2026, 05:16:55 AMAh nice. I haven't been up the way yet.

To be honest if I wasn't tied down here Id move to Melbourne, or Tasmania even, summer temperatures for a tradesman out in it all day are getting harder to stick as I get older. Buried an old friend a few weeks ago, gone before his time from Melanoma, he spent years getting burned, loved the heat, you'd see him with white circles around the eyes where the safety glasses had absorbed the UV, the rest of his face red / black like the divil

Yeah it's something you really have to take seriously, even down here in Melbourne. The UVs can be brutal, even when it's not that hot. But even summer here gets spicy. 40°+ days aren't uncommon, and so in the 30s is just par for the course. I work outdoors too, so the old slip, slap, slop is your only man  8)

Quote from: 91/30 on September 05, 2026, 05:12:33 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 04, 2026, 10:20:38 PMWhereabouts in Aus are you?



Gold Coast

I'm down in the Gold Coast today actually, it's a warm one 🥵.

I'm working outdoors in Brisbane so similar heat to you and it's already a bit warm for me. People keep laughing at me when I say it's hot out, saying "you haven't seen anything yet, wait for summer" which has me nervous. We arrived just after summer this year and it was cooking then, satan help me.  :-[

Quote from: Mithrandir on September 06, 2026, 02:48:30 AM
Quote from: 91/30 on September 05, 2026, 05:12:33 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 04, 2026, 10:20:38 PMWhereabouts in Aus are you?



Gold Coast

I'm down in the Gold Coast today actually, it's a warm one 🥵.

I'm working outdoors in Brisbane so similar heat to you and it's already a bit warm for me. People keep laughing at me when I say it's hot out, saying "you haven't seen anything yet, wait for summer" which has me nervous. We arrived just after summer this year and it was cooking then, satan help me.  :-[


You've done the right thing to be here a bit early to get a chance to acclimatise.  Over the years there are plenty of stories of northern Europeans dropping dead when they arrive out here in December or January and go out working in it. I was home a few years ago and my father said to me something along the lines of "you drink a lot of water", after so many years im in the habit here of drinking plenty of water before the thirst kicks in. I haven't fainted [so far] but I've been nauseous and had heart palpations from working out in it.  I was on a job for 2 years thats just finishing and 2 fellas died on it from heat, one of them was a fuckin Samoan. 
I had an engineer from south India working alongside me on a job on the rail corridor for the Gold Coast light rail, middle of the day, late December, 40 degrees.  There were a few poles alongside the track and yer man was standing in the 10cm wide shadow cast by the sun and shuffling bit by bit to stay in that bit of shade.  I didn't have that luxury I was down on my hunkers on the ballast working away.....I should have paid more attention when I was in the Vocational School 😄 🤣

Haha thanks for that, can't wait  :-X

Dunno if it's an exact fit for this thread, but had a good long look at this today while taking a shite. It certainly passed a few mins, in fact the shite had air dried itself by the time the video finished.

https://youtu.be/ePDl1JNqjpM?is=m2ZHQe4wiAR4gk28

I'd be reasonably confident now should the need ever arise. Anyone else here ever successfully land a passenger plane? Is this info reliable?

Quote from: John Kimble on September 13, 2026, 06:33:53 PM...the shite had air dried itself by the time the video finished.

 :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Quote from: 91/30 on September 07, 2026, 09:00:35 AM
Quote from: Mithrandir on September 06, 2026, 02:48:30 AM
Quote from: 91/30 on September 05, 2026, 05:12:33 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 04, 2026, 10:20:38 PMWhereabouts in Aus are you?



Gold Coast

I'm down in the Gold Coast today actually, it's a warm one 🥵.

I'm working outdoors in Brisbane so similar heat to you and it's already a bit warm for me. People keep laughing at me when I say it's hot out, saying "you haven't seen anything yet, wait for summer" which has me nervous. We arrived just after summer this year and it was cooking then, satan help me.  :-[


You've done the right thing to be here a bit early to get a chance to acclimatise.  Over the years there are plenty of stories of northern Europeans dropping dead when they arrive out here in December or January and go out working in it. I was home a few years ago and my father said to me something along the lines of "you drink a lot of water", after so many years im in the habit here of drinking plenty of water before the thirst kicks in. I haven't fainted [so far] but I've been nauseous and had heart palpations from working out in it.  I was on a job for 2 years thats just finishing and 2 fellas died on it from heat, one of them was a fuckin Samoan. 
I had an engineer from south India working alongside me on a job on the rail corridor for the Gold Coast light rail, middle of the day, late December, 40 degrees.  There were a few poles alongside the track and yer man was standing in the 10cm wide shadow cast by the sun and shuffling bit by bit to stay in that bit of shade.  I didn't have that luxury I was down on my hunkers on the ballast working away.....I should have paid more attention when I was in the Vocational School 😄 🤣

Jesus Christ that is fuckin hardcore. I don't deal well with the heat so that would just be too much for me. It can get well into the 30s here too, those days I just stay indoors.

We have the opposite problem in winter though. Can get to minus 30-40. If you get caught out one of those days not properly prepared you're gonna lose some body parts. You have to keep winter stuff in your car and not go out unless you're properly dressed or you're fucked. If you got drunk and walked home and passed out or fell somewhere and nobody sees you, you're dead.

On the plus side you can do that thing where you throw a cup of water in the air and it instantly turns to snow, so that evens it out...

My mate moved from Sydney to Brisbane about 3 weeks ago and he works as an electrician. I can't wait now for all the voice messages from him moaning and whinging about the heat when he's at work.

I remember my bro being out at Mount Isa, had to eat salt vinegar crisps to stop the heat headaches  :laugh:

Quote from: The Butcher on September 21, 2026, 10:37:34 PMI remember my bro being out at Mount Isa, had to eat salt vinegar crisps to stop the heat headaches  :laugh:

I've done plenty of work in Mount Isa, I was working in nearby Cloncurry earlier this year they have a massive Irish Club in Mt  Iss, seriously impressive, nightclub, 4 bars, three restaurants, accommodation a gym...haha.  Mount Isa could be 40C but as its a fair way inland the humidity is lower than coastal regions which makes it more tolerable.  'Salt and vinegar crisps' for the heatstroke, must have been for the salt, that's a good one!

Quote from: mickO))) on September 21, 2026, 09:55:35 PMMy mate moved from Sydney to Brisbane about 3 weeks ago and he works as an electrician. I can't wait now for all the voice messages from him moaning and whinging about the heat when he's at work.

Up in a roofspace, covered in ceramic wool in a Queensland summer, I wouldn't be able for it

121. If you're fed up trying to figure out which shoes to buy, just chop all your toes off and have yourself shod by the local farrier.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 24, 2026, 01:55:57 PM121. If you're fed up trying to figure out which shoes to buy, just chop all your toes off and have yourself shod by the local farrier.

I miss seeing the odd issue of Viz in newsagents around these parts.  Nothing but greeting cards, ornaments and lotto tickets these days