#75 March 02, 2024, 02:46:41 PM Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 04:28:57 PM by Giggles
Quote from: astfgyl on March 02, 2024, 01:09:20 AMHere. Here's a great tune by Limp Bizkit and not even Wes Borland involved...

This tune is serious. It's how I imagine ratm would bum Deftones

Never heard of this EP, nice one! According to wikipedia, Wes Borland was involved with this. It was his first release with them after he rejoined.

Would Linkin Park be considered metal at all? They were always a pop act in my eyes (ears?), along with Papa Roach and a few others, just dressed up in (nu) metal trappings. Like Blink 182, Sum 41, even Green Day etc. were to punk.

Quote from: Giggles on March 02, 2024, 02:46:41 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on March 02, 2024, 01:09:20 AMHere. Here's a great tune by Limp Bizkit and not even Wes Borland involved...

This tune is serious. It's how I imagine ratm would bum Deftones

Never heard of this EP, nice one! According to wikipedia, Wes Borland was involved with this. It was his first release with them after he rejoined.

No way I was sure it was the other lad but I never read up on it or anything. It's a great ep/short album

Quote from: Carnage on March 02, 2024, 03:16:14 PMWould Linkin Park be considered metal at all? They were always a pop act in my eyes (ears?), along with Papa Roach and a few others, just dressed up in (nu) metal trappings. Like Blink 182, Sum 41, even Green Day etc. were to punk.
Well like Black Sabbath and Megadeth sound like pop music compared to the likes of Primitive Man and The Body, Linkin Park would be metal enough, Chester had some set of pipes

Linkin Park and Papa Roach def fall under the nu metal umbrella.

I love Nu Metal especially because of the DJs but I'd love to see Djing in heavier genres like death metal thrash maybe even some black metal. Also don't know if they're Nu Metal but Mushroomhead is one of my favorite bands I think they're pretty underrated would love to see them come to Dolans :]

:sniffles:
Turntables go eeeeeera era era

Show all yizzer selves to the door of the hall and leave, bloody leave t'fuck.

Tool are fairly nu metal as well although I doubt their fans would be much inclined to agree

Where is the "nu" in Tool? Even during most of my music-listening life when I didn't like Tool, I never would have referred to them as nu metal.

#84 March 02, 2024, 07:15:21 PM Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 07:17:00 PM by Mooncat
White Zombie were also one of the godfathers of nu metal. Was listening to them a shitload back at that time.

Some other semi popular bands I don't think have been mentioned yet were hed(pe), Adema, Powerman 5000, and Taproot. I don't think any of them are particularly good (particularly Adema who were just a marketing exercise given the singer was Jonathan Davis' brother or cousin or something), but they all have an appeal if you're revisiting in purely nostalgic terms as they were all bandwagon bands, and so just sound as generically nu metal as it can get. Depends whether you want to discover great bands, or nostalgically wallow in the sound of the day.

As an aside, it is a fun exercise to do. The 'Night of the Comet' soundtrack (on Spotify) is a great one if you want to hear the absolute generic sounds of day-to-day 80s soft rock radio, without having to come across any of the usual suspects.

I just want to say that Green Day are a punk band. 100%. They started out in the underground and were around for a long time before Dookie shot them to fame. They aren't a bunch of chancers who jumped on a bandwagon.

Tool are not nu-metal.

Chat Pile are absolutely not nu-metal. There are some sonic similarities in the riffs, much in the same way as Godflesh (I don't play guitar so forgive the layman speak, I guess this is a tuning thing?). They are a noise or sludge band.

Aenima has a lot of the hallmarks with the chugging downtuned riffs and vocal style. Probably not applicable to the other albums to be fair about it but I got into Tool at the height of my nu buzz and thought they fitted in rather well with it all at the time, a bit smarter than most but still fitting with the sound of the time.

It's a rather wide term anyway, covering things from Limp Bizkit to Slipknot to SOAD to Incubus who don't really have much in common

OK so Chat Pile are not nu metal then, they just sound the exact same

Tool influenced a lot of later nu-metal but definitely aren't that themselves.  The hallmarks you'd see are from looking back at it through what they influenced.