I certainly felt like I came to a crossroads at that time. I thought that maybe I had finally "grown out of metal" like others around me had. I decided instead to start being a bit bolder and taking more chances on stuff purely on gut feeling, ie. Cool logo or artwork. I started getting into much more interesting music and the bouncy stuff began to recede from there. But in retrospect the late 90s was bleak alright. My taste changed so much over the subsequent 3 or 4 years and I kick myself for not being bolder when I was younger. Sherlukkit sez yew!

Quote from: Eoin McLove on March 03, 2024, 12:03:10 PMI certainly felt like I came to a crossroads at that time. I thought that maybe I had finally "grown out of metal" like others around me had.
I was a bit similar to that,grim enough period,glad i ploughed on!

I wonder how many of us have went through that, thinking we'd grown out of metal only for it to worm its way back in shortly after? Has happened to me at least twice so far but I keep coming back.

Also trying to think of things released in 98 that I like but it's not coming to me

Quote from: astfgyl on March 03, 2024, 12:23:09 PMI wonder how many of us have went through that, thinking we'd grown out of metal only for it to worm its way back in shortly after? Has happened to me at least twice so far but I keep coming back.

Also trying to think of things released in 98 that I like but it's not coming to me

Very interesting question, for me it came down to music formats. I thought I was done with metal in the time between CDs being the main thing and Spotify kicking off. In the middle I had let my dad sell my CDs because I had moved out of home and didn't feel like dragging them around with me. Mp3s and iTunes I never found great, but Spotify reignited my interest.

Quote from: astfgyl on March 03, 2024, 12:23:09 PMI wonder how many of us have went through that, thinking we'd grown out of metal only for it to worm its way back in shortly after? Has happened to me at least twice so far but I keep coming back.

Like when you go looking; there was plenty of decent releases in the underground.It was what was being pushed in mainstream metal is what was grim!.It just felt like traditional metal,the image,sound,feeling etc had eroded away around then.The baggy pants metal hammer era was in full swing!.Im a bit of a hypocrite here as from about the age 17 onwards I was dressing less and less like an out and metal head anyway! :laugh:

Quote from: astfgyl on March 03, 2024, 12:23:09 PMI wonder how many of us have went through that, thinking we'd grown out of metal only for it to worm its way back in shortly after?

Definitely happened to me. Around Leaving Cert. ('94) my interest dwindled greatly to the point that I sold all my CDs & tapes. Listened to a lot of punk, indie, electronic stuff then and didn't pay much attwntion to metal for abouy 20 years, bar picking up the odd magazine and buying smnething that sounded interesting. Kicking myself now, once I hit 40 and the midlife crisis kicked it I went back to the stuff I poved then and took it from there but there was a lot of ground to make up.

For a while it wakes for me, listened more to Radiohead and the likes. It was short lived amd culminated with going to see Radiohead is Galway. They were supported by The Cardigans and other similar types.
It was pretty much on that day I knew my heart and soul needed flames, screaming, double kick drums etc.
Thankfully I hadn't sold anything off so it was a seamless shift back to normal services.

That Radiohead gig was deadly in fairness. I was quite surprised to hear The Cardigans playing Sabbath covers.

#113 March 03, 2024, 04:22:20 PM Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:25:12 PM by astfgyl
I went the way of getting rid of all my cds to a lad and was just streaming and downloading stuff for several years.

Ended up getting a load of em back off him a couple of weeks ago and have been steadily buying back a collection for the last few years.

It was mostly when Post Metal was all over the place but i was listening to nearly anything other than metal for ages and then one day I just got the urge back and fucked on a bit of SYL and Sepultura and I was off again and going steady ever since. In fact I like it more now than I ever did I'd say.

That was the last time but I flirted with getting mad into dance music at one stage too when I was younger but that didn't last as long.

Edit: A good shot of the stuff I was into during the non metal times has stuck too,  like the likes of Radiohead for example

I still dipp in and out of a bit of dance music.I dismissed Grunge for the most part in my teens,as i was Death metal obsessed,a few of my close friends were Grunge mad at the time.Its was only in the mid 2000s  that I gave the likes of Alice in chains,Pearl Jam and Soundgarden a proper go.

Have Limp Bizkit - Results May Vary on here. Don't think I've ever heard it all before. It's not bad.

In keeping with Astfgyls request, Skinlab. Revolting room is a great nu metal album.
Re. 1998 - the first Soulfly album, the rest of them are fair mucky but their first is a vicious little fucker.

I saw Skinlab live twice back then. I thought they were alright but just like a heavier Machine Head so I never bought anything by them.

QuoteI saw Skinlab live twice back then

Ah Skinlab, pretty poor alright. Seen them a couple of times myself. Steev Esquivel was in a half decent thrash band called Defiance, I still spin that stuff from time to time. Often wonder did those lads literally just up sticks and form the likes of Skinlab with the actual intent of riding Machine Head, Korn or whatever's coat-tails?

Seen Skinlab a few times too,they supported someone in Dublin,and they did a gig on Cork to at some point back then!

Edit : they supported Entombed