Remember Soil had a decent album or two, singer was great

Quote from: jpm4 on March 01, 2024, 11:12:54 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on March 01, 2024, 10:48:44 PM
Quote from: jpm4 on March 01, 2024, 09:42:00 PMhttps://youtu.be/V-sYWaOrLdI?si=oXpqD8eFhTJlR4XV

Possibly only that Machine Head tracksuit video is more embarrassing than this

Man we've rakes of threads derailed by how shit it all is. Are there any albums that you like from the era?

Aside from the obvious stuff - Korn, Deftones, SOAD - the only album I can kinda remember liking is actually the second Tura Satana album. Which is fucking embarrassing!

If it's good it's good. The last CD I bought was a Madonna album it's fine.

This thread is pure Good Will Hunting

Here. Here's a great tune by Limp Bizkit and not even Wes Borland involved...

This tune is serious. It's how I imagine ratm would bum Deftones

#63 March 02, 2024, 11:12:25 AM Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 11:17:51 AM by Circlepit
First Korn album is brilliant but haven't listened to it for a long time.
The first Slipknot was patchy at best as was the second. The third one was and still is a great rock album and I suppose they had moved on from the nu metal beginnings.

SOAD were so good at writing the catchy hooks. The first one , Toxicity and Mezmerize are full of instant memorable songs.
Deftones are the best of the bunch.
From the third album on I feel they have left the rest of the bands from that era in their wake. That gig in Vicar St a few years ago was brilliant.

I brought my son to the barbers the other day and there was playlist in the tv with what was called modern rock anthems.
Two  Linkin Park songs came on and they instantly clicked with him in regards to melody and structure.   
I suppose it shows that those songs were crafted to with an inch for maximum appeal.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on March 01, 2024, 11:29:43 PMOrange 9mm had a few good songs but I haven't listened to them in a long time. Were they nu metal or more of a post hardcore kind of thing? Must revisit.

They were more post hardcore than nu, but seemed to be support for loads of the Nu bands when they played the east coast.

'Chop Suey' by SOAD annoys me a lot. Starts off kind of good then goes into this soft singing part abruptly, then something else, then something else, not interested in this band. EJECT.

Nu metal? Deftones win obviously.

Quote from: Circlepit on March 02, 2024, 11:12:25 AMFirst Korn album is brilliant but haven't listened to it for a long time.
The first Slipknot was patchy at best as was the second. The third one was and still is a great rock album and I suppose they had moved on from the nu metal beginnings.

SOAD were so good at writing the catchy hooks. The first one , Toxicity and Mezmerize are full of instant memorable songs.
Deftones are the best of the bunch.
From the third album on I feel they have left the rest of the bands from that era in their wake. That gig in Vicar St a few years ago was brilliant.

I brought my son to the barbers the other day and there was playlist in the tv with what was called modern rock anthems.
Two  Linkin Park songs came on and they instantly clicked with him in regards to melody and structure.   
I suppose it shows that those songs were crafted to with an inch for maximum appeal.

Yep, just chiming in to say Deftones are by far the best of it but as ochoill says, I ain't having a bar of this "they aren't nu metal" lark

#67 March 02, 2024, 11:47:54 AM Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 12:07:42 PM by astfgyl
Kind of an aside, but remember when emo was Emotional Hardcore?

Nu metal is pretty much responsible for that.

Anyway, here's some bands that I like from the nu crowd..

Deftones
Korn
Chat Pile
Limp Bizkit
Mudvayne
Orgy
Filter
American Head Charge
Cold
Chimaira
Spineshank
Stuck Mojo
Sevendust
One Minute Silence

Most of it is toe curling shit but the ones in that list have at least one album I like.

I actually still throw on Orgy Candyass on occasion. I listen to Significant Other regularly. I like the first Cold album and all. I also listen to rakes of 80s and 90s pop music without going red for myself.

I think there's a Venn diagram to be drawn up of lads who grew up with 80s pop and 90s grunge and nu metal was the sweet spot between those for some lads like me. I only got into The Cure in the last couple of years but it turns out a massive portion of the nu metal lads were just trying to put that sort of pop sound through a filter

#68 March 02, 2024, 11:52:05 AM Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 11:54:42 AM by Eoin McLove
I liked that first Cold album too but it was more grunge than nu metal if my memory isn't failing me. The singer went all in on his yarl. It was ridiculous but the songs were catchy enough to overlook it.

Interesting comment regarding The Cure, but yeah, there was a dark emotional and vulnerable angle nu metal was aiming at that drew on goth and industrial but made it a bit/ a  lot more cartoonish, and colorful. And then the Faith No More influence added a wackiness as well.

Quote from: leatherface on March 02, 2024, 11:31:57 AM'Chop Suey' by SOAD annoys me a lot. Starts off kind of good then goes into this soft singing part abruptly, then something else, then something else, not interested in this band. EJECT.

I remember when Toxicity came out and it was played to fuckin death and one night I actually got into a scrap with a lad because he wanted to play it twice in a row and I could stand no more so I fucked the CD at him and off we went. Twas actually one of the lads out of iBurn and all, speaking of nu metal. Unfortunately for me the cunt is as strong as a horse and I got me shit pushed in but luckily we shook hands and continued the drinking and yoke taking after he knelt on my face  :laugh:

Quote from: Eoin McLove on March 02, 2024, 11:52:05 AMI liked that first Cold album too but it was more grunge than nu metal if my memory isn't failing me. The singer went all in on his yarl. It was ridiculous but the songs were catchy enough to overlook it.

Interesting comment regarding The Cure, but yeah, there was a dark emotional and vulnerable angle nu metal was aiming at that drew on goth and industrial but made it a bit/ a  lot more cartoonish, and colorful. And then the Faith No More influence added a wackiness as well.

It was/is more nu grunge than nu metal and by god are his vocals painful but just that one album gets a pass for being decent

Quote from: astfgyl on March 02, 2024, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: leatherface on March 02, 2024, 11:31:57 AM'Chop Suey' by SOAD annoys me a lot. Starts off kind of good then goes into this soft singing part abruptly, then something else, then something else, not interested in this band. EJECT.

I remember when Toxicity came out and it was played to fuckin death and one night I actually got into a scrap with a lad because he wanted to play it twice in a row and I could stand no more so I fucked the CD at him and off we went. Twas actually one of the lads out of iBurn and all, speaking of nu metal. Unfortunately for me the cunt is as strong as a horse and I got me shit pushed in but luckily we shook hands and continued the drinking and yoke taking after he knelt on my face  :laugh:

It's about the only heavy album I can remember playing for my very un metal friends where it went down well.

Thankfully, I never got too into it. Had the first 2 Korn albums, then bought the first SOAD and Coal Chamber but wasn't into either. The latter is considerably worse than SOAD. Have always been a fan of Deftones. Remember Around The Fur being number 1 on the Soundcellar Top 10 on the metal show for weeks and them playing here around the time of it's release.

Was at that Deftones gig in the sfx back in the day. Delighted so I was. One Minute Silence supported so there was a load of lads from the town who don't even like metal at it because they knew yer man. Grand oul gig anyway. Used to have the bootleg of it knocking about but I dunno where it went

This thread has made me realise that the only nu metal I'm actually familiar with is Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park's first album, American Head Charge and about 3 Deftones songs.

I didn't have satellite TV growing up and never heard of Kerrang magazine or what have you, so never heard a note of the bands mentioned numerous times here like Spineshank, Coal Chamber etc

I bought Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park when I was 14, and it was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard, alongside Limp Bizkit. Although I didn't actually think of them in terms of 'heavy', they were really just louder and shoutier versions of pop/rap songs to me.

I'm on the bus on the way to Dublin to see Evile and I threw on Hybrid Theory for the laugh. I haven't listened to it in 23 years. Thought I'd only last a couple of songs, but I listened to the whole album. Some really nice electronic bits in it and yer man Chester had a powerful voice.
I'd gotten into Metallica the following year. Riffs, solos and aggression took over and I just pretended that Linkin Park didn't exist. It was nice to revisit, might not leave it another 23 years before the next go around.