It's almost like being back in the day when I'd have stuff hidden from my mother in case she would lose her shit and throw tapes or shirts on to the bin.

I remember my sister pointing out the explicit content sticker on GNR Lies. A rag flag to a bull. I told them the worst they said was bitch.

How has there not being a cancel movement against GNR, Motley Crue etc.
Would these massive bands and their management teams just crush the opposition?
Surely there is enough in their back story to trigger the shit out of people.

GnR have been dragged through wringer on manys an occasion. Sure didn't they end up leaving One In A Million off the Lies bonus disc with the Appetite reissue..?

It hasn't seemed to phase them.
I'd love to have seen Axl's reaction way back when if somebody tried to cancel him.

I'm sure they're on top of it. The whole of Lies was included in the recent Appetite For Destruction reissue boxset, with the exception of One In A Million, due to the lyrics. A cop out IMO, but an understandable one given the current climate.

Doesn't Hetfield call someone a 'fag' on one of the Live Shit discs?

#94 February 13, 2024, 11:25:26 AM Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 11:30:46 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: Circlepit on February 13, 2024, 11:19:49 AMIt hasn't seemed to phase them.
I'd love to have seen Axl's reaction way back when if somebody tried to cancel him.

It happened a lot.

Sure the "cross" cover of Appetite itself was a capitulation to all the outlets saying they wouldn't carry it with the original.

Quote from: Carnage on February 13, 2024, 11:21:13 AMI'm sure they're on top of it. The whole of Lies was included in the recent Appetite For Destruction reissue boxset, with the exception of One In A Million, due to the lyrics. A cop out IMO, but an understandable one given the current climate.

Doesn't Hetfield call someone a 'fag' on one of the Live Shit discs?
i recently encountered someone claiming Metallica were "all huge racists" all because of Newsted's theatrical goose-stepping to the start of Am I Evil on the Seattle gig and Lars and James cartoonish Nazi salute pic... overlooking Hugh Tanner and they've been paying about 20% to their Jewish management for about 40 years.

James has said some stupid things over the years, to be fair. 24 minutes in...
https://m.soundcloud.com/theafdshow/roberta-freeman-talks-one-in-a-million-race-and-james-hetfield-ep-201

I'd say him and Axl in a room together back then would have been fucking insufferable.

I hope you corrected them by pointing out that Lars and Jason are short enough, making them small to medium sized racists

I wonder do younger metal fans see a band getting gigs cancelled make them investigate them in " this must be savage " way.

The advisory sticker had that effect back in the day.

Quote from: The Great Cull on February 13, 2024, 12:18:29 PMI hope you corrected them by pointing out that Lars and Jason are short enough, making them small to medium sized racists
I wondered which direction Filipino Kirk directed his hate... which we know he wouldn't waste, of course.

Quote from: mickO))) on February 13, 2024, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: hellfire on February 13, 2024, 09:17:18 AM
Quote from: Massey Ferguson on February 13, 2024, 09:02:51 AMI wonder will this have an effect on Grave Upheaval and Cemetery Urn getting gigs in future? The people involved in trying to cancel gigs presumably see these 2 bands as nazis by association, and promoters may not want to book them because of the controversy.

I didn't know that. I'll have to burn those CD's to protect my piety. Nazism  really is everywhere  :laugh:

When these anti free speech laws come into effect most of us on here could end up in court because of some of the releases we have in our collections.

The Hate Speech laws seem to have been quietly shelved for now.

Quote from: Massey Ferguson on February 13, 2024, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: hellfire on February 13, 2024, 09:52:11 AMWe should both be cancelled and sentenced to live out our days listening to anarcho punk.

I'm currently listening to Deathsiege who are from Israel so I think that cancels out my dark dealings with Darken.

Apparently liking anything from Israel makes you more fascist, not less. Ask Twitter. Half of my tattoos are done by an Israeli. I'm entirely irredeemable.

Quote from: hellfire on February 13, 2024, 02:01:15 PMThe Hate Speech laws seem to have been quietly shelved for now.

McEntee was on prime time recently over the fires being set and she was going on about them again.

She's an absolute headcase that one. It's hard to see them pushing it before the election. Deeply unpopular and internationally embarrassing. Assuming something resembling the current government gets back in then it will be pushed through rapidly.

Quote from: hellfire on February 13, 2024, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: Massey Ferguson on February 13, 2024, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: hellfire on February 13, 2024, 09:52:11 AMWe should both be cancelled and sentenced to live out our days listening to anarcho punk.

I'm currently listening to Deathsiege who are from Israel so I think that cancels out my dark dealings with Darken.

Apparently liking anything from Israel makes you more fascist, not less. Ask Twitter. Half of my tattoos are done by an Israeli. I'm entirely irredeemable.

Right, no more listening to Israeli bands so! I think it's okay to listen to Hate Forest as they're Ukranian.

I saw there was a comment about it on the venues facebook page which might be enough considering how public that is. I think it is not surprising if they are willing to cancel one event to protect their own reputation not to mention that they themselves might take some personal offence over it.

So Haste were previously called Gurn who had a two track demo on the label Australibus Tenebris which doesn't look too bad at first glance on discogs but definitely did put out some doge stuff. Like take a look at the artwork and song tiles of this release https://www.discogs.com/master/1753877-Wewelssburg-Subterranean-Gestation-Of-The-Glorious-New-Era This band had a split tape on Australibus Tenebris in 2020 but actually appear on much more doge labels. Anyway it is pretty full on and I guess this stuff is always around in some form or other actually youtube was recommending skrewdriver to me yesterday and I presume from after looking at that.

Ok so maybe the link is a bit tenuous and unfair to the other bands who might not be directly connected or would have travelled a long way.

On the subject in general I suppose someone can argue for artistic freedom or say that it is controversy for it's own sake or I'm only interested in the music and don't have to agree whatever opinion or that different people will find completely different things offensive or not anyway.
I would say fair enough but it shouldn't be hard to understand why some people would have a big problem with certain imagery or groups expressing the same ideology and should be very obvious really that a private business has no obligation to platform it either.
Personally myself honestly I think there is a moment when the red card needs to pulled out and if a music scene wants to be treated a certain way then perhaps that's up to them to a certain degree.