Lost a few teeth. Worth pointing out he's not a friend of mine and I wasn't at it with him.

Understandable you feel the need to publicly distance yourself from the dope who ruined things for everyone. On point universal life lesson in there.

No idea who wrote it, but there does seem to be a very niche online obsession for sniffing out problematic black metal bands, usually by seeing how many degrees they are separated from Mgla or Deathspell Omega or whatever.

Pretty incomprehensible to me but I guess if you are young ,lefty and into metal it makes sense. 

Not sure I get the confusion people have over it tbh.

Was the bassist from Qrixkuor who turned out to be a nonce 'cancelled' when all of the bands he was involved with came out condemning him ? No, of course not, he's a piece of shit and will be treated with hostility, well guess what lads, lots of people don't like nazis and lots of people will treat them with hostility (and that includes people they suspect of being nazis, rightly or wrongly).

People want the veil of 'danger' having shady characters in the scene adds but no one wants the actual danger of having shady characters in the scene (I think the kids call that a safe space  :laugh:).

And it's not a young, lefty or metal head thing either, I imagine it's just the young lefty metal head equivalent of lads who stand outside refugee buildings all day or freak the fuck out about a 'they' person being on Eurovision. People are just way more emotionally involved in their political beliefs than they were 10 years ago and the general public are divided as ever.

#49 February 12, 2024, 07:01:51 AM Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:07:15 AM by Eoin McLove
No, I think you're still completely wrong. The reality is that the metal scene has always been more open minded to bands who espouse extreme political views because people feel they can choose to ignore them if they wish, follow them if they wish or listen to them while either embracing or rejecting their views if they wish.

There is also the glaring fact that lefties attack metal gigs because it's easy. They know there is absolutely zero threat of any kind of skin head activity at these gigs, just metal heads drinking pints and watching bands they like. It's funny how these people like to accuse metal fans of LARPing while they play at being heroes behind their computer screens. Complete fucking spas.

Metal heads seem to be both a group of dorks LARPing at being Nazis and also a bunch of Nazis who are a danger to society... which is it?!

QuoteThe reality is that the metal scene has always been more open minded to bands who espouse extreme political views because people feel they can choose to ignore them if they wish, follow them if they wish or listen to them while either embracing or rejecting their views if they wish.

Perfectly written statement, and it applies to all forms of art.

I'd agree with your first paragraph.

When did I say metal heads are a danger to society? You're completely missing the point. I'm not saying these bands are nazis, I'm not supporting the people who got the gig shut down, I am saying that whether you like it or not, associating with or even being accused of associating with nazis will generally result in negative reaction for pretty much any individual.

And yeah, if someone thinks it's cool but to have nazis or white supremacists or some shit around because it makes it feel 'dangerous' but they don't actually want any bad reaction that may come from that, then they are dorks larping.

And that's obviously a very tiny amount of people, because like you said, people at metal gigs don't give a shit about politics, they want to see bands.

Quote from: Circlepit on February 11, 2024, 08:01:09 PM
Quote from: jpm4 on February 11, 2024, 03:35:52 PMI find this whole "Band x are sketchy because a band members brothers cousins milkman did the artwork on a Hate Forest demo" to be seriously cringeworthy but also pretty fascinating.

Like on this site rateyourmusic.com/list/HelloInquisitor/black-metal-bands-and-their-politics/2/

Which classifies Primordial as a Nazi/Racist band for the most stupid reasons, but clearly some people take it very seriously.

I had a quick through that piece. Who wrote it? Is it like a list of bands that the writer has deemed safe?

Wasn't there some craic on MI years ago about Vicki Cahill  (The Generals daughter) having a go at Primordial for self censorship over some fanzine articles or something?  The bould Vicki is a real Nazi, got some of the ashes of the the head nazi boyo in the USA.

Quote from: ldj on February 12, 2024, 07:28:51 AMI'd agree with your first paragraph.

When did I say metal heads are a danger to society? You're completely missing the point. I'm not saying these bands are nazis, I'm not supporting the people who got the gig shut down, I am saying that whether you like it or not, associating with or even being accused of associating with nazis will generally result in negative reaction for pretty much any individual.

And yeah, if someone thinks it's cool but to have nazis or white supremacists or some shit around because it makes it feel 'dangerous' but they don't actually want any bad reaction that may come from that, then they are dorks larping.

And that's obviously a very tiny amount of people, because like you said, people at metal gigs don't give a shit about politics, they want to see bands.

For someone who is not defending gigs being shut down you're making a pretty heavy case for it. It wasn't an Absurd gig, it was a gig by a band whose schtick is necromancy and black magic. The offending naughty band were removed from the lineup but it wasn't enough to appease the righteous. Fuck them.

#54 February 12, 2024, 08:03:27 AM Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 08:04:58 AM by Circlepit

Is off the mark to say people are far more invested in their politics when referring ti these cases.
Raising as issue and working on bringing about change are very different to keyboard heroics.
How is it that the people who want a band not to play seem to be in the shadows.
At least with the Christian type protestors they were outside a venue plain as day and you could engage or not.

Protest all you want, make you point and be as vocal as possible. Do it publicly. If a person feels that strongly over an issue or a situation then stand up and be counted.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 12, 2024, 07:58:12 AM
Quote from: ldj on February 12, 2024, 07:28:51 AMI'd agree with your first paragraph.

For someone who is not defending gigs being shut down you're making a pretty heavy case for it. It wasn't an Absurd gig, it was a gig by a band whose schtick is necromancy and black magic. The offending naughty band were removed from the lineup but it wasn't enough to appease the righteous. Fuck them.
Not really, I'm just explaining the 'logic' behind them getting cancelled. I've been at and will continue to go to many gigs that that wouldn't be considered 'acceptable' by people into this craic. If someone asked me about my Mgla shirt for example it'd be a pretty short "Don't know anything about them as people, just like their music" and that's that, for most people i assume that makes sense but I also know there's a chance for the small minority of crusaders out there they'd call me a nazi just for going to their gig or wearing their shirt.

My point is I know there's a chance of that happening (a minor example admittedly), but it comes with the territory.

Quote from: Circlepit on February 12, 2024, 08:03:27 AMIs off the mark to say people are far more invested in their politics when referring ti these cases.
Raising as issue and working on bringing about change are very different to keyboard heroics.
How is it that the people who want a band not to play seem to be in the shadows.
At least with the Christian type protestors they were outside a venue plain as day and you could engage or not.
Yeah I'd agree with that, any self respecting lefist would probably be far more concerned with wanting our taxes going towards housing, healthcare, education etc rather than getting obscure black metal gigs cancelled on the off chance a neo-nazi might be present, but this is the twitter era, culture war bullshit rules above all apparently.

Hang on, amongst the conflating going left, right, and centre, we've had leftists protest about anything and everything given half a chance, and now we're onto they're only keyboard warriors and don't go out to protest?

Once again submitting an appeal for not trying to squeeze a wide and complex array of social phenomena into any one handy explanation. The extreme end of that spectrum happens to be where totalitarianism resides, whether of the left or right persuasion.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 12, 2024, 08:26:48 AMHang on, amongst the conflating going left, right, and centre, we've had leftists protest about anything and everything given half a chance, and now we're onto they're only keyboard warriors and don't go out to protest?

Once again submitting an appeal for not trying to squeeze a wide and complex array of social phenomena into any one handy explanation. The extreme end of that spectrum happens to be where totalitarianism resides, whether of the left or right persuasion.

If you are referring to my post I never said they didn't go out and protest. I said going out and protesting publicly and visibly is a far cry from what happens in the case of gigs getting pulled.