I've found lately that some bands that used to bore me years ago are finally clicking with me these days. The most obvious one is Watain, which I couldn't get into fifteen years ago having me enthralled these days. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Dissection. Still not a diehard fan or anything but it took years.

Mastodon, Voivod, Tool. All worth the effort in the long run.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 28, 2024, 03:28:47 PMDissection. Still not a diehard fan or anything but it took years.

In the same boat there. All I hear is decent enough melodic death metal.

Judas Priest. Thought they were hot garbage.

A friend of mine won the remasters boxset (well, it came with the first four albums and a whole lot of styrofoam). We were walking to his gaff one day, I said let's put some on and laugh at how shite they are... I left that evening with all his Priest CDs  :laugh:

Quote from: hellfire on January 28, 2024, 03:54:03 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 28, 2024, 03:28:47 PMDissection. Still not a diehard fan or anything but it took years.

In the same boat there. All I hear is decent enough melodic death metal.

I don't regard them as death metal at all  and I think their thrash roots are what I struggled with for ages. I think it was Purcell drunkenly explained them as "black metal Ride The Lightning" that helped me make a bit more sense of them. Not that the sound like that,but the feel of that era is there for me

Killing Joke. It took a couple of decades for the penny to drop, but when it did, it dropped hard.

Same here, it wasn't until I heard Into Infinite Obscurity that it made me come around a bit more.

Yeah, Dissection never interested me until recent times.

Motörhead of late. I never disliked them and I saw them live years ago and thought they put on a great show, I just never bothered living anything up. I recently grabbed Ace of Spades and Iron Fist and both are savage. I'll continue to delve in.

Veles. I traded or bought The Black Ravens Flew Again around 15 years ago and it never interested me whenever I stuck it on. In recent months or maybe even weeks it has clicked with me. Probably has something to do with a personal surge in interest in the work of Graveland. I find that super grim sounding BM really appealing these days.

Down the years, Iron Maiden and Tool are the ones that come first to mind as bands I'd heard plenty of times but never got into, or actively disliked. Iron Maiden swung me first time I saw them live, Tool the second time. Albeit with the help of a few shrooms in the latter case. Both bands that have never been far from current listening ever since.

Killing Joke
Meshuggah
Nine Inch Nails

Thought they were all bum for ages before they clicked. There's more too if I get down to thinking about it

The ones that immediately come to mind are Godflesh, Faith No More, Therapy? and Tool, as they were initially recommended to me as something else entirely. All favourites now.

Smashing Pumpkins and twas only recently, the song bodies did it for me.

The Ulver black metal stuff I used to think was garbage, it just clicked one day listening to the demo on YouTube

I don't hate Samael anymore

Hated Steel Pole Bathtub on initial listen but got into them years later after getting into Brainbombs and the like

Was never a huge Wino fan til the Shrine builder album now I love most things he does

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on January 29, 2024, 01:41:43 AMHated Steel Pole Bathtub on initial listen but got into them years later after getting into Brainbombs and the like

One of my favourite bands of all time. "The Miracle of Sound in Motion" in particular. Delighted to see someone else mention them here.