You had the chance at least twice that weekend man, you were just too fucked to realise.  :laugh:

I doubt it. I spent most of the weekend stuck on the top bunk  :laugh:

:laugh: Before your death defying leap from it.

I've got one going right now, following an album recommendation from forum exile Pedrito: Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle-Earth. Very much clicking since last night, though none of the brief exposures I've previously had to them down the years ever even made me curious to listen to more. Sure there's a little bit of that Rhapsody-style fairy power metal in there which kinda put me off the entire genre when I bought Symphony of Enchanted Lands II when it first came out. But man, there's real grit in here too. Kürsch at times sounds identical to Blackie Lawless, something I was not expecting at all, Lawless having to my ears one of the most perfect voices for metal of all time.

Love a bit of Blind Guardian, check out their first couple of albums which are more straightforward speed metal without the pomp if you're not as big into that

Quote from: Trev on February 03, 2024, 05:58:18 PMLove a bit of Blind Guardian, check out their first couple of albums which are more straightforward speed metal without the pomp if you're not as big into that

Their cover of 'Mr. Sandman' on Headbanger's Ball was the only time i've ever heard them. Must give them a proper go at some stage

#36 February 03, 2024, 08:32:37 PM Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 08:46:02 PM by leatherface
For me, Voivod. Took a while for me to get my head around them. Long story short, the album'The Outer Limits' got me into it. Have been a fan ever since.

Quote from: Trev on February 03, 2024, 05:58:18 PMLove a bit of Blind Guardian, check out their first couple of albums which are more straightforward speed metal

Wow, they really are! Listening to Battalions of Fear here for the first time and if you told me it was an Enforcer demo I'd believe you.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 28, 2024, 10:40:15 PMYeah, Dissection never interested me until recent times.

Motörhead of late. I never disliked them and I saw them live years ago and thought they put on a great show, I just never bothered living anything up. I recently grabbed Ace of Spades and Iron Fist and both are savage. I'll continue to delve in.

Veles. I traded or bought The Black Ravens Flew Again around 15 years ago and it never interested me whenever I stuck it on. In recent months or maybe even weeks it has clicked with me. Probably has something to do with a personal surge in interest in the work of Graveland. I find that super grim sounding BM really appealing these days.

Graveland up to Creed of Iron is great stuff but definitely a bit of an acquired taste for me at least. Veles is decent. One album by the Temple of the Fullmoon circle I really love is Infernum - tar na fuin.

There's loads of good 90s Polish bands like Sacrilegium, North, Arkona, Fullmoon...

Aeternus would be the first name that springs to mind. Had their first two albums on Hammerheart Records and couldn't make head or tail of the aural barrage. Ended up trading both and thought no more about the band until five years ago when I heard Beyond the Wandering Moon at a friend's party. Suffice to say it clicked right away and I made every effort to track down the treasures I'd been only too happy to discard two decades previous. No joy acquiring the originals so the reissues on Karmageddon Media had to suffice. The benefits of hindsight.

Quote from: vinterland on February 04, 2024, 10:16:52 PMAeternus would be the first name that springs to mind. Had their first two albums on Hammerheart Records and couldn't make head or tail of the aural barrage. Ended up trading both and thought no more about the band until five years ago when I heard Beyond the Wandering Moon at a friend's party. Suffice to say it clicked right away and I made every effort to track down the treasures I'd been only too happy to discard two decades previous. No joy acquiring the originals so the reissues on Karmageddon Media had to suffice. The benefits of hindsight.

Soulseller have reissued the early Aeternus on CD and LP. I have the demo on the way.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 04, 2024, 10:24:16 PM
Quote from: vinterland on February 04, 2024, 10:16:52 PMAeternus would be the first name that springs to mind. Had their first two albums on Hammerheart Records and couldn't make head or tail of the aural barrage. Ended up trading both and thought no more about the band until five years ago when I heard Beyond the Wandering Moon at a friend's party. Suffice to say it clicked right away and I made every effort to track down the treasures I'd been only too happy to discard two decades previous. No joy acquiring the originals so the reissues on Karmageddon Media had to suffice. The benefits of hindsight.

Soulseller have reissued the early Aeternus on CD and LP. I have the demo on the way.

Cheers for that. I see they also have Born of the Flickering complete with original artwork. Another gap in the collection soon to be plugged. The Hot Records version was fetching ridiculous prices on Discogs and Ebay.

Yup. I have it on tape but I'm considering the CD... or LP. I have In the Shades of Life coming with the same order. I hadn't heard a note of it until they announced it a few months ago and it is really good.