Quote from: Pentagrimes on October 04, 2024, 09:58:03 AMshnakey self promotion but it ain't metal.  Put out a new Hubert Selby Junior Infants thing today, if you like post hardcorey stuff
https://hsji.bandcamp.com/album/this-damned-mess

This is great (post-hardcorey) stuff. First track is vicious.

The Lightning Seeds - Cloudcuckooland.

Twee indie-pop of course, but fuck me did Ian Broudie know how to write a hook.

Quote from: Ducky on October 10, 2024, 03:06:03 PMThe Lightning Seeds - Cloudcuckooland.

Mad. I was listening to "Like You Do" only a few days ago. I'd say I haven't listened to it in 20 years or more. You're right about Ian Broudie he had that incredible, enviable ear for pure pop hooks.

I had their best of, but gave it to the brother. Just didn't do it for me.

I'm constantly getting Ians Broudie and McCulloch mixed up. Two very different musicians there.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on October 10, 2024, 03:23:56 PM
Quote from: Ducky on October 10, 2024, 03:06:03 PMThe Lightning Seeds - Cloudcuckooland.

Mad. I was listening to "Like You Do" only a few days ago. I'd say I haven't listened to it in 20 years or more. You're right about Ian Broudie he had that incredible, enviable ear for pure pop hooks.

That's gas, another banger right there. I've fired Jollification up on Spotify now, and I've clearly forgotten that "Marvellous" is catchier than the fucking measles.

Quote from: Carnage on October 10, 2024, 03:56:38 PMI had their best of, but gave it to the brother. Just didn't do it for me.

I'm constantly getting Ians Broudie and McCulloch mixed up. Two very different musicians there.

Lol very different lads for sure, though Broudie produced at least two of Echo and The Bunnymen's earlier albums.

I didn't know that. Every day's a school day.

A bit of Google-fu says he produced the second single on their debut album, and produced their third album in full... he was also Will Sargent's flatmate at the time, so defo closer to the Bunnymen than expected!

Loving the new album from Soror Dolorosa, Mond. 80's synth driven gothic rock. Great stuff

https://youtu.be/QIrZqJUin20

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead. Total stormer of an album.

I remember making a tape of it for one of the girls I was in college with (in turn she gave me Frank Black's first post-Pixies album), and during our final year project we had free-ish reign to do what we wanted in the lab, including chucking some music on the little ghetto-blaster. She put on the tape of this, and one of the other girls got highly offended by "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" :laugh:

#536 October 12, 2024, 07:21:11 AM Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 07:23:10 AM by Caomhaoin
Never use the adjective 'big' with women full shtop!

Kino - группа крови (blood groups)

Maybe the most beloved Soviet group of all time, some of ye probably know Victor Tsoi. Some gems in the back catalogue, including 'the black album'!. Is it better than the western equivalent? Certainly less divisive.

I'd nearly call him the Russian bono, but he died very young so he never had time to wear the shades indoors and annoy every cunt by sticking his nose in politics and starting to enjoy the smell of his own shit, therefore he's immortal in the former USSR.

#537 October 13, 2024, 03:38:59 AM Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 03:49:27 AM by Carnage
Neil Young & Crazy Horse: Live Rust

Skullflower - Kino I: Birthdeath

U2 - "War". Whatever you feel about Bono et al. (for me, I tuned out after "Pop") this record is all killer.

Joy Division - "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer". Part of the soundtrack of my teens but I haven't listened to either album in full for long time - currently reading the first Peter Hook book so it felt appropriate.

Gang Of Four - "Entertainment" - again part of my teenage years but I hadn't given it a spin in a while.

The Evens - "The Odds"