Quote from: The Heretic on September 15, 2024, 06:28:13 PMGenesis - Invisible Touch...great album

The only Phil Collins singing album I know of them is A Trick Of The Tail, and I love it. Have probably heard some of the later ones but don't know them at all off the top of my head. How far away from that is this one? Is it like straight up pop or is there something more to it?

Quote from: astfgyl on September 15, 2024, 07:53:50 PM
Quote from: The Heretic on September 15, 2024, 06:28:13 PMGenesis - Invisible Touch...great album

The only Phil Collins singing album I know of them is A Trick Of The Tail, and I love it. Have probably heard some of the later ones but don't know them at all off the top of my head. How far away from that is this one? Is it like straight up pop or is there something more to it?

I'm not familiar with early Genesis really so I can't compare, they are a band I need to dig into a lot more, but Invisible Touch is definitely in the pop vein..the production is superb...

Enjoyed the new Gillian Welch/David Rawlings album, americana/bluegrass/folk type stuff wth great guitar playing.

Quote from: The Heretic on September 15, 2024, 08:19:46 PM

I'm not familiar with early Genesis really so I can't compare, they are a band I need to dig into a lot more, but Invisible Touch is definitely in the pop vein..the production is superb...

I'd go for the s/t album of the Collins era (for "Home By the Sea" alone), wall to wall bangers. ABACAB is no slouch either. Invisible Touch is their last great one I reckon.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 18, 2024, 10:39:13 AM
Quote from: The Heretic on September 15, 2024, 08:19:46 PM

I'd go for the s/t album of the Collins era (for "Home By the Sea" alone), wall to wall bangers. ABACAB is no slouch either. Invisible Touch is their last great one I reckon.

Cheers for the recommendation, I'll fire it on!

Genesis with Collins on the mic, take yer chances. Best one is 'Wind and Wuthering' from '76. Last one with Steve Hackett as well. Very cool.

Truth. Tony Crow has passed the "not a psychopath" test. I'm as surprised as anyone else.

:laugh:

You'd revise that if you'd been around for my Mike Mangina era DT binge of the last week or so...

Hüsker Dü - New Day Rising

Carnage's comment in the Books section made me realise I hadn't listened to New Day Rising in a while. Funnily enough it took me a while to get into this one. Candy Apple Grey was my gateway, and this album seemed too sloppy in comparison.

Get some Zen Arcade into you. One of the greatest albums of all time.

Not tremendously impressed with this wave of American hardcore kids deciding they've invented shoegaze (thanks again for that, Nothing), but the Downward album is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arwyu3J05Vk

Also, currently reading a great book about the post-punk music scene in San Francisco which has sent me off on a deep dive into the weird, headmelting world of Caroliner. I can't say it's all amazing but I've certainly never heard anything else like them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmKEnqKOeLs&list=PLbKa71C3z-Z_grS5qwsQrBbaNnauTBztz

Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 19, 2024, 09:44:10 AMGet some Zen Arcade into you. One of the greatest albums of all time.

I need to go back to Zen Arcade. Bought it years ago along with New Day Rising and enjoyed it, but haven't spun it since then.

Therapy?'s Diane cover brought me to Metal Circus, still my favourite release of theirs. Watched the Live From London video last night, it was OK.

The Buzzcocks - "Singes Going Steady". I played this record to death from the age of 14 to 18.

I stick it on once or twice a year now and, every time I do, I wonder why I don't listen it regularly.

More hooks than fisherman's tackle box.

Cracking album, I must get the CD - I have the tape here somewhere but I think the CD has a few more tunes on it.

I remember getting the sideye from my old man more than once when I played it in the car. Orgasm Addict like.

The Cure: Boys Don't Cry

Much better than the UK version of the debut.