Quote from: Xworx on April 29, 2024, 03:05:04 PMOn a Bad Religion buzz today. Listened to Generator, Stranger Than Fiction, and The Process of Belief today.

Must give their later releases a lash as well. I haven't heard anything after The Empire Strikes First.

I think that I stopped around "The Process Of Belief". I've heard bits and pieces since but nothing grabbed me.

"Stranger Than Fiction" is deadly.

"Suffer" is an all time great punk album. Whip smart and straight to the point.

Suffer and No Control are both classic punk albums.

The Empire Strikes First is definitely worth a listen. It's not quite as good as The Process of Belief but there are some great tunes on there.

Amy Montgomery from Belfast(?). Class voice

Decent voice alright, not sure about the music itself though. I've heard that song somewhere before, I wonder is it used on an ad or something?

There's nothing particularly special about the music. It's ok. That voice though  :-*

Chavez - "Ride The Fader".

Pulled this absolute belter out for the walk to work this morning on the first nice day in 2 weeks. Saw the clear day and it popped right into my head.

Still top-tier nearly 30 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kggPClPJzYusEUqcY87dn8TqOBrPboflc

Quote from: StoutAndAle on May 03, 2024, 12:12:29 PMChavez - "Ride The Fader".

Pulled this absolute belter out for the walk to work this morning on the first nice day in 2 weeks. Saw the clear day and it popped right into my head.

Still top-tier nearly 30 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kggPClPJzYusEUqcY87dn8TqOBrPboflc
Class album and I put it on fairly often after you sent it to me ages ago.  Although last time I went to show it to one of the brothers and he pronounced fader as "father" and it came close to ruining it forever for me.

#219 May 03, 2024, 08:28:53 PM Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 08:33:03 PM by 101_North
Cracking bit of folk rock. Stupid band name and an even worse cover but a fantastic album. Sandy Denny has some voice!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRQKT-Cu2_2TyS5i41ht726Q1gLrxWMwS

FACS - "Present Tense"
FACS - "Still Life In Decay"
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - "Sport Fishin' - The Lure of the Bait, The Luck of the Hook"

#221 May 07, 2024, 08:11:46 PM Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 03:07:49 AM by Mooncat
Tying the threads together a little, but since we talked about Stephen King's Tommyknockers being written in a blizzard of cocaine, and Scorsese's After Hours being made in a blizzard of cocaine, let's complete the book/film/music triumvirate by adding Bowie's blizzard of cocaine album Station to Station.

I've been listening to this endlessly for a few weeks now (along with Cindy Lee - Diamond Jubilee) and it might even be at the point where it's my favourite album by him now. Think it's probably his best ever vocal performance. Also made during that mythical era (one of several for Bowie, really) where he had moved to LA, become hopelessly addicted to coke, gotten obsessed with the occult, black magick and other neo religions, and literally thought he was going to die at any moment because he was in such bad health and so gakked out of his mind.

That's what makes this album so compelling, it's a guy who literally thinks he's on the brink of death and desperate (which also ties it to its sister album Blackstar, which shares similar themes of the occult and his voice being from beyond).

It's also an interesting more grown up take on occult, so it's interesting to compare with the teenage version on early 90s black metal.

It's a huuuge rabbit hole to go down to follow up on all the references in the title track alone. Do yourself a favour and take 10mins to read this analysis https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/station-to-station/.

6 tracks of near perfection. And then you can follow up with Blackstar and go down that rabbit hole too!

Tbf you have me convinced. I'll be listening to that tonight.

On a related note, I love those odd album docs that BBC do. Even when it's something I'm generally not into, they nearly always have me going off listening to whatever it is.

My own favourite of Bowie is Low but I do love Blackstar as well

Quote from: astfgyl on May 07, 2024, 10:41:18 PMTbf you have me convinced. I'll be listening to that tonight.

On a related note, I love those odd album docs that BBC do. Even when it's something I'm generally not into, they nearly always have me going off listening to whatever it is.

My own favourite of Bowie is Low but I do love Blackstar as well

Yeah I would have said Low and Ziggy were tied for me before, but I think StS is my favourite now.

I got the same thing with those classic albums docs you'd get on VH1 back in the day. Also their Behind the Music series. My current favourite is reading a music autobiography and listening to each album as the book moves through them.

Quote from: Mooncat on May 07, 2024, 08:11:46 PMTying the threads together a little, but since we talked about Stephen King's Tommyknockers being written in a blizzard of cocaine, and Scorsese's After Hours being made in a blizzard of cocaine, let's complete the book/film/music triumvirate by adding Bowie's blizzard of cocaine album Station to Station.

Absolutely brilliant call.

"Station To Station" is easily my favourite Bowie record. Right from the second I hear the train and piano intro - it's on. I saw the exceptional "David Bowie Is..." show in Chicago back in 2014. The clothes etc. from the album cover are on display. He must have weighed next to nothing. It's amazing that he lived through those couple of years - given the drug intake and the fact that he rarely ate.

Followed by "Low", "The Rise And Fall of Ziggy...", "Heroes", "Lodger", "The Next Day", "Blackstar" and I have a soft spot for "Young Americans".

You can expand your listening/reading/viewing about Bowie in this period too - the Alan Yentob documentary "Cracked Actor" captures Bowie around this period - he is rail thin, hopped up and out of his fucking mind. It's on YouTube.

The live record "David Live" that comes out around then (and the doc captures the tour) is a hot mess but does bear listening to. Look at the state of him on the cover!

Dylan Jones' 2017 oral history "David Bowie - A Life" is also magnificent. The book details his life cradle to grave but it covers that particular time in DB's life with players who where there really well.