Been on a bit of a Mark Lanegan binge recently after reading his Sing Backwards and Weep book. Always ignored his newer stuff but recently stuck on Straight Songs of Sorrow as it was apparently a companion piece to the book. Been getting regular spins ever since. A fantastic album from start to finish.

WISHBONE ASH - Argus (1972)

One of the most incredible sounding albums ever made. Just a joy for the ears.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on April 25, 2024, 10:08:52 AM
Quote from: The Wretch on April 25, 2024, 10:02:21 AMTHE CURE - Seventeen Seconds (1980)

Great album - oddly enough, I also had this one when I was working in the garden at the weekend.

Gets a spin at least every couple of weeks for me since I first heard it a couple of years back. Fantastic album.

Was checking in on NIN forum to see if there's anything doing, and came across this Witchgang thing they've been involved with, apparently released through Fortnite in some way (Don't play Fortnite, so I don't exactly know how).

Anyway, looks like they've had a go at modern pop with some sort of Gorillaz angle to it. 3 songs up, one is not great and the other two are awful.

Wouldn't mind some new NIN but this definitely won't fill the gap

Quote from: astfgyl on April 27, 2024, 10:10:00 AMWas checking in on NIN forum to see if there's anything doing, and came across this Witchgang thing they've been involved with, apparently released through Fortnite in some way (Don't play Fortnite, so I don't exactly know how).

Anyway, looks like they've had a go at modern pop with some sort of Gorillaz angle to it. 3 songs up, one is not great and the other two are awful.

He's too busy making money off film & TV scores to bother with NIN stuff these days. Ever since he started that, his NIN output went to shite so I wouldn't be pushed if he ended it altogether.

Large Plants - The Thorn

Dark folk/psych rock with a touch of prog. Jack Sharp of Wolf People, new band. Pretty good. I'm a suckered for most things released on Ghost Box.

Al Stewart - Time Passages and Year of the Cat. Can't decide which is the better of the two. Both brillant. Alan Parsons produced both so obviously they sound superb!

Quote from: Carnage on April 27, 2024, 01:56:58 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on April 27, 2024, 10:10:00 AMWas checking in on NIN forum to see if there's anything doing, and came across this Witchgang thing they've been involved with, apparently released through Fortnite in some way (Don't play Fortnite, so I don't exactly know how).

He's too busy making money off film & TV scores to bother with NIN stuff these days. Ever since he started that, his NIN output went to shite so I wouldn't be pushed if he ended it altogether.

It was definitely the introduction of Ross that coincided with the drop off. With Teeth, Year Zero, Hesitation Marks all lacking in something. I do love those three EPs though and have rarely put as much time into thinking about any music as I have about those three but that's because of the puzzle element.

I see an interview for GQ they've done saying they're starting on new NIN but I fully expect him to call it quits any time these days.

Here's the Witchgang for you, in case you weren't turned off enough already. It's Reznor, Ross, Tobacco and a lad from TV on the Radio. The other two tunes are actually far worse than this one. Makes me think that Tapeworm album must have been really really really fuckin bad to not get released at all

Quote from: 101_North on April 27, 2024, 06:35:42 PMAl Stewart - Time Passages and Year of the Cat. Can't decide which is the better of the two. Both brillant. Alan Parsons produced both so obviously they sound superb!

Alf Stewart? Alan Partridge?? What on earth are you listening to!

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 28, 2024, 12:46:19 PM
Quote from: 101_North on April 27, 2024, 06:35:42 PMAl Stewart - Time Passages and Year of the Cat. Can't decide which is the better of the two. Both brillant. Alan Parsons produced both so obviously they sound superb!

Alf Stewart? Alan Partridge?? What on earth are you listening to!

Give his stuff a go 😜

https://youtu.be/0ocl_yXUa_s

Must have a listen. Year of the Cat is a class tune.

Will check out, love a bit of Parsons' production.

Currently spacing (spicing?) out to the Dune Part II soundtrack.

Quote from: 101_North on April 26, 2024, 02:31:15 PMBeen on a bit of a Mark Lanegan binge recently after reading his Sing Backwards and Weep book. Always ignored his newer stuff but recently stuck on Straight Songs of Sorrow as it was apparently a companion piece to the book. Been getting regular spins ever since. A fantastic album from start to finish.

That's a great book. I have "Devil In A Coma" on a shelf at home since the day it was released. Didn't read it before he died and now I don't know if I have the heart to start it.

Lanegan is a legend. Always put on a solid live show - he would rarely move but the voice would rumble through the venue.

I switch between "Field Songs" and "Bubblegum" being my favourite of his solo records. "Straight Songs Of Sorrow" is class too and I really like his covers record "Imitations".

Pretty much all of his solo work is worth your time. He collabs are great - the one with Duke Garwood - "Black Pudding" being a standout alongside the Isobel Campbell records.

On a Bad Religion buzz today. Listened to Generator, Stranger Than Fiction, and The Process of Belief today.

Must give their later releases a lash as well. I haven't heard anything after The Empire Strikes First.