Quote from: The Wretch on April 23, 2024, 04:48:23 PMHORSLIPS - Dancehall Sweethearts (1974)

They were my last gig before the lockdowns kicked in, and it wasn't a bad one at all at all. Turned out to be one of their last gigs too.

Quote from: Carnage on April 23, 2024, 05:16:14 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on April 23, 2024, 04:48:23 PMHORSLIPS - Dancehall Sweethearts (1974)

They were my last gig before the lockdowns kicked in, and it wasn't a bad one at all at all. Turned out to be one of their last gigs too.

Yeah, such a shame about Fean passing, and Carr retiring. I was at the comeback gig at the O2, they were immense.

I saw Johnny Fean solo countless times. Even with a trio those songs sounded incredible. He was a genuinely lovely man too, very quiet and gentle sort of fella, but always happy to chat, answer nerdy questions, sign stuff etc.

N.P. - HORSLIPS - The Unfortunate Cup Of Tea (1975)

Phenomenal player, he and Devlin seemed to be the most socially inclined. O'Connor retired a while back too, it was just Fean, Devlin, Lockhart and Ray Fean on drums. Still mighty, it was a bucket list gig for me. Very old school, all the oul' wans were up dancing in the aisles!

The Fontaines dc thread reminded me that when I caught them first I felt they sounded a bit whipping boy ish.

What an album!

Quote from: Carnage on April 23, 2024, 05:59:47 PMPhenomenal player, he and Devlin seemed to be the most socially inclined. O'Connor retired a while back too, it was just Fean, Devlin, Lockhart and Ray Fean on drums. Still mighty, it was a bucket list gig for me. Very old school, all the oul' wans were up dancing in the aisles!

I can imagine. They were having a hoolie at the reunion gig too. Wonderful positive celebratory mood. 

My aul lad and his brother were both massive fans, they saw them quite a few times in the 70's. My Uncle always said that 'The Book Of Invasions' was his favourite album of all time. When he died that was the only album that his family insisted on keeping, they said I could have my pick of the rest. Luckily I have most of the albums on vinyl anyway.   

Quote from: pete on April 23, 2024, 07:52:37 PMThe Fontaines dc thread reminded me that when I caught them first I felt they sounded a bit whipping boy ish.

What an album!

It's an amazing album. One for thise bands that should have been bigger.  They played in Castlebar about 10 years ago. Still savage live. The singers a bit of a fruit loop.

I also think Whipping Boy suck so that ties in nicely.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 23, 2024, 07:59:21 PM
Quote from: Carnage on April 23, 2024, 05:59:47 PMPhenomenal player, he and Devlin seemed to be the most socially inclined. O'Connor retired a while back too, it was just Fean, Devlin, Lockhart and Ray Fean on drums. Still mighty, it was a bucket list gig for me. Very old school, all the oul' wans were up dancing in the aisles!

I can imagine. They were having a hoolie at the reunion gig too. Wonderful positive celebratory mood. 

My aul lad and his brother were both massive fans, they saw them quite a few times in the 70's. My Uncle always said that 'The Book Of Invasions' was his favourite album of all time. When he died that was the only album that his family insisted on keeping, they said I could have my pick of the rest. Luckily I have most of the albums on vinyl anyway.   

My parents were big fans, followed them around the country until I came along and ruined their fun. I inherited a stack of them on vinyl from my father too, and he had a few on tape that have since disappeared. The original Happy To Meet is there, the octagonal/booklet sleeve is just glorious to behold. The Táin still has its poster an' all.

I picked up a couple of the CD reissues at that gig, meant to pick up the rest but I'm toying with the idea of splashing out on the boxset that came out a couple of years ago. Big spend but worth it IMO.

Quote from: Carnage on April 23, 2024, 09:54:28 PMI'm toying with the idea of splashing out on the boxset that came out a couple of years ago. Big spend but worth it IMO.

30 something discs though. I've been contemplating buying it myself.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 23, 2024, 10:31:02 PM
Quote from: Carnage on April 23, 2024, 09:54:28 PMI'm toying with the idea of splashing out on the boxset that came out a couple of years ago. Big spend but worth it IMO.

30 something discs though. I've been contemplating buying it myself.

It's a great set all right.  Signed photos, few books. 

Quote from: 101_North on April 20, 2024, 12:46:24 PMLoving this Melts album! Never heard of them before this thread! Cheers lad

That's the job.  :abbath:

Quote from: Carnage on April 16, 2024, 09:22:09 PMAm I hearing a bit of early Depeche Mode in the mix too? It's not bad.

Now that you mention it...

I always thought that the MELTS debut sounded a bit like Damon Albarn fronting NEU! or something. There's definitely a Depeche Mode buzz off "Field Theory".

Had the new album on again whilst doing some gardening at the weekend and it put me in mind to revisit Simple Minds' absolute cracker of an album - "Empires And Dance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5iW_RQ9RPQ

Public Service Broadcasting - Every Valley. Looking forward to the gig in October. Brilliant live band.

THE CURE - Seventeen Seconds (1980)

Quote from: The Wretch on April 25, 2024, 10:02:21 AMTHE CURE - Seventeen Seconds (1980)

Great album - oddly enough, I also had this one when I was working in the garden at the weekend.

Quote from: Naraka on April 24, 2024, 09:14:47 PMPublic Service Broadcasting - Every Valley. Looking forward to the gig in October. Brilliant live band.

Great stuff. I had "Inform-Educate-Entertain" on the other day after I saw the gig announcements. Tickets bought.

Looking forward to seeing them live at long last. They supported Manic Street Preachers a while back (I think) but I mis-timed my arrival (had another pint) and missed them.