Never much into Megadeth (or at all really) but having listened to them over the years I think Mustaine is a great guitarist and that's about it. The bass is nothing, the drums are nothing, the vocals are nothing and the songs are nothing. If he hadn't been in Metallica for that one album, would anyone even be talking about them now? I've wanted to like them a few times and that Tornado of Souls is actually decent but fucking hell how overrated can a band actually be? Really nothing there at all to back up the interest in them and I hate calling things shite because they can all do better than me but from a consumer standpoint they are actually shite therefore Where it All Turned To Shit was actually all along rather than any particular falloff

Can't agree with that. There's some great basslines on the classic records, and Gar Samuelson was lethal on the drums. In terms of 80s metal I'd place him at the top with Lombardo.

Despite his personality, Mustaine did write some killer riffs for both Metallica and Megadeth. 

I saw an old video of Mustaine recently demonstrating some riffs and I swear the lad has one of the most awkward and uncomfortable looking fretting techniques going.

I'm not calling his guitar playing into question at all and fair enough about one of the drummers and one of the bass players but I still stand by the general thing I said. Such run of the mill everything. Not even bad enough to really call out, just nothing doing for about 90 percent of what I've heard, which can't be more than about a third of it being honest.

Ah the bassline to Peace Sells is a total fist pumper.

#141 April 20, 2024, 01:06:27 AM Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 01:09:05 AM by Petardo
Atrocity - Blut

Hallucinations was incredible, blistering early technical death metal. They followed up with Todessensucht, a genuine death metal masterpiece.

Then on Blut, Atrocity lived up to their moniker musically with an overflowing toilet bowl of chugga chugga shouty guy nonsense about being a vampire.

They have stayed consistently terrible ever since, across decades, a variety of different styles and genres including returning to death metal.

Two fucking savage albums, then shit forever.

Samuelson and Menza are both absolute animals. 

Mastodon post-"The Hunter" is where I part ways with them.

"Once More 'Round The Sun" is the last Mastodon album that I pre-ordered without hearing much from it.

Come to think of it - it's the last of their albums that I bought. I haven't listened to a note of their last album.

It's good. I think.

Nonsense re Megadeth, Peace Sells , So Far and Rust are as good as anything from that era. And actually the following 2 albums are decent too.

I still haven't listened to the last Mastodon one in full. Hard to raise the enthusiasm for it, Emperor Of Sand I found fairly dull.

Quote from: Carnage on April 22, 2024, 12:16:18 PMI still haven't listened to the last Mastodon one in full. Hard to raise the enthusiasm for it, Emperor Of Sand I found fairly dull.

I listened to "Empire Of Sand" two or three times in full. Can't say I found anything to like about it.

Emperor of Sand is class. Had Crack The Syke on yesterday for the first time in ages. Perfect.

I'd put Hushed & Grim only behind Leviathan and Crack the Skye, which share joint first place for me in the Mastodon discography.

Very high praise. I'll try it again soon. Maybe.