Quote from: Pain Medicine on April 23, 2024, 10:06:30 AMI think if you took the last 6-7 Megadeth albums and compiled the best 10-12 songs you'd have a great 2000s compilation album

I did that with their output post-RIP up to Super Collider, got a couple of hours' worth of decent material. It's there but you've got to root through hours of shite to find it.

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on April 23, 2024, 01:27:38 AMGojira have always been ridiculous live. The gig in Whelan's was insanity

I left that early. They're just a very, very boring band to me.

I remember I had an amazing time at that one but retained none of the details. Except that the MDMA was evidently of very high quality  :laugh:

Quote from: Ducky on April 19, 2024, 08:59:46 PM
Quote from: Petardo on April 19, 2024, 07:59:15 PMSabbat - Mourning Has Broken.

A steaming pile of dogshit.

I file this under "so bad it's best to just pretend it never happened".

That's the one. The absolute worst of the worst.

Quote from: Crow on April 24, 2024, 07:33:04 PM
Quote from: Ducky on April 19, 2024, 08:59:46 PM
Quote from: Petardo on April 19, 2024, 07:59:15 PMSabbat - Mourning Has Broken.

A steaming pile of dogshit.

I file this under "so bad it's best to just pretend it never happened".

That's the one. The absolute worst of the worst.

Didn't Andy Sneap admit that it done to get out from the Noise contract?

To be fair, that description could apply to any Sabbat release. They're shit.

#171 April 25, 2024, 07:30:37 AM Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 07:32:23 AM by Thorn
Sabbat? The English Sabbat? Shit? What the hell man?!
That may be the single most controversial opinion I've seen on here.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Controversial opinion, for sure.  History of a Time to Come and Dreamweaver are both amazing albums. History is one of my favourite albums of all time. In my mind that 3rd album just never happened. 

Yeah, they're crap. Never saw the appeal. Skyclad either, for that matter.

I love Sabbat. That dense guitar sound, Walkier's odd rasp and delivery, and Sneap trying to bring in Puppet/Justice era Metallica and Mercyful Fate type complexity on Dreamweaver where his ambition often exceeds his ability. There is something really charming about that. Plus they were heavy as balls. I was a huge fan of 'The Way of Wyrd' too, so the tie in was always appealing. 

The first two Skyclad were great. I do like some of the albums after that, but they leaned too much into the lyrical puns and the folksy vibe started to grate after a while (which is odd given that I am a massive fan of Jethro Tull and Horslips, as well as actual folk music) but the style on Wayward Sons, and Burnt Offering to a slightly lesser extent - with plenty of early speed metal and nwobhm influence, and just a hint of the folk thing - was immense. I mean, 'The Cradle Will Fall' alone is one of the best thrash/speed metal tunes of all time. 

That said, I'd take Satan over Skyclad. 

From what came before culminating in Bathory - Twilight of the Gods, the collapse to Requiem/Octagon is unreal. Almost a pisstake especially when you hear he rated Requiem one of his best.

Requiem is my favourite Bathory album, I think it's mighty. Obviously Hammerheart, Twilight & BFD are all better albums, but that's the one I go back to most often.

really? it just won't click with me. ill give it more listens. drums are shite to my ears & riffs are boring. i do like the guitar tone of Octagon though. the start of 33 something for example. shocking lyrics however haha.

Quote from: Carnage on April 25, 2024, 01:27:11 AMTo be fair, that description could apply to any Sabbat release. They're shit.
Quote from: Carnage on April 25, 2024, 09:34:50 AMYeah, they're crap. Never saw the appeal. Skyclad either, for that matter.
Quote from: Carnage on April 25, 2024, 11:05:32 AMRequiem is my favourite Bathory album, I think it's mighty.
you're torching the place! :abbath:

The drums are shite on Requiem alright, crappy drum machine and weirdly barely in time. The production's crap overall but what can I say, I really like the songs.