Bloody hell, there's a new Nasty Savage out
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

So there's a "15th Anniversary" edition of Mastodon's Crack the Skye... I'm sorry, what the actual fuck are you doing, progression of time ???

Saw that, a remastered disc and an instrumental one. I think there's a blu ray too. Mad money though.

#678 October 11, 2024, 10:20:23 PM Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 10:59:53 PM by Ducky
Yeah 70 sheets from Golden Dicks. I'd have no great interest in it anyways (due to listening to the album to death over the years), but that is a very spicy price indeed, particularly for optical media vs. vinyl.

Indeed, going down the Tool route with their prices. I'll stick with the original.

Oh fuck me the price of the last Tool CD is daft.

My best bud runs the local Golden Discs (hence "Golden Dicks", as we affectionately call it  :laugh: ), and he said he got a bit sick of seeing Fear Inoculum staring back at him from the CD shelf. 50 quid or something? Fuck that noise, especially for a poor man's rethread of Lateralus.

#681 October 11, 2024, 11:01:48 PM Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 11:13:47 PM by Carnage
I never saw it for less than €90 on CD, dunno about vinyl. Their Opiate 2 disc was stupidly expensive too, and only one song on it I think. Off they can fuck.

If Mastodon were serious about that anniversary release they'd have added the live version to the set, but no. €55 odd for the 3 disc on Amazon, €25 for the 2CD version. Nah.

I love Mastodon but they are always peddling some shite or another, they were selling jars of pickles on their social media a few weeks back ffs. Even announcing this reissue through their 20th anniversary tour for Leviathan was a bit weird.

Just had a gawk at FI on GD's site - 100 quid ??? Fuck that from on high. Yeah something like 30 quid for the Opiate track? I'm good, Maynard, thanks.

Agree wholeheartedly about CtS. Have just hit play on my rip I made of it from the CD that I paid €15 for at release. Far more palatable than the silliness they're asking for now.

The way I look at these is you're paying the money for the extra tracks since most of us have bought the original albums already. Is an instrumental version of the album worth the price? Fuck no. Same for the Expanded Edition stuff where the expansion is live tracks. Would you pay that kind of money for a live album? Of course not.

If they added pickles to the deal, however... then maybe we'd have another think coming.

#685 October 12, 2024, 10:11:27 AM Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 10:20:29 AM by Carnage
Quote from: Bürggermeister on October 12, 2024, 06:42:39 AMThe way I look at these is you're paying the money for the extra tracks since most of us have bought the original albums already. Is an instrumental version of the album worth the price? Fuck no. Same for the Expanded Edition stuff where the expansion is live tracks. Would you pay that kind of money for a live album? Of course not.

If they added pickles to the deal, however... then maybe we'd have another think coming.

Genuine value for money you don't mind paying for, but to charge big bucks you have to justify it, and I just don't see it there - particularly in Tool's case. They're for collectors/completists I'm sure, and when physical media sales are lower than when the album came out originally, I can see why they're produced in lower numbers and with a higher price tag, but it stings a bit.

Quote from: ldj on October 11, 2024, 11:10:16 PMI love Mastodon but they are always peddling some shite or another, they were selling jars of pickles on their social media a few weeks back ffs. Even announcing this reissue through their 20th anniversary tour for Leviathan was a bit weird.

And they're plugging Once Around The Sun 10th anniversary T-shirts too.

Pickles eh? 🤔

I saw an interview with Bill from Mastodon a few years ago and he went pretty deep into the financial side of things for a band their size. He basically said its the regular run of limited editions and branded merch is what keeps them going. They also took a lot of profits and invested in a rehearsal facility they can rent out to other bands, and add a studio so they can save money there when they go to record

Was pretty interesting, must see if I can find the link again

I've never listened to a second of Mastodon in my life.  Just assumed they were overhyped and never bothered. 

You're missing out, very good band. Definitely overhyped but the quality's there. Early stuff is the heaviest, they became more commercial for a while, while also incorporating prog to varying degrees.

Only ever had the first couple of Mastodon albums. Remission and some mother one. Liked them at the time but they never really held my interest after those.

Still went to see them the couple of times they played here in Cork, though.