Edith Wharton- The Ghost Stories. Zero expectations. Let's go  8)

Somehow ended up with no books this Christmas.  I bought my wife that new Blindboy one and she read a few bits out to me last night that were pretty funny so I will probably give that a go soon.  The impossible backlog is hidden behind the christmas tree at the minute so I can pretend I am caught up until the tree finds it's way out to the bin.

Prophet Song (and Goth) showed up today. A week's holidays have begun today for me so I'm getting stuck in. I plan on spending an inordinate amount of the next week with my nose buried in books. Let's hope my plan comes to fruition.  8)

Got a couple of books off the brothers for Christmas. One about the making of The Downward Spiral and the other was William Burroughs The Soft Machine which is making my skin crawl before I even start reading it. Happy days!

Quote from: astfgyl on December 27, 2023, 12:39:07 PMwas William Burroughs The Soft Machine which is making my skin crawl before I even start reading it.
Why so?
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Thorn on December 27, 2023, 05:30:04 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on December 27, 2023, 12:39:07 PMwas William Burroughs The Soft Machine which is making my skin crawl before I even start reading it.
Why so?

I just know it's going to be graphic descriptions of a load of sick shit going on and odd perversions. I've seen a couple of excerpts from it before. And then it's going to be cut up so it'll be like mulholland drive at the same time.

Last book the same fella got me was the works of kafka, so he has previous but also knows me very well

Oh right, hehe, I haven't read Burroughs ,sounds....interesting.

Picked up beautiful leatherbound copies of brothers karazamov, dead souls, and utopia for a pound a piece in the local Oxfam earlier. Great haul

Indeed, well done.

Quote from: nukeabuse on December 28, 2023, 12:35:05 AMPicked up beautiful leatherbound copies of brothers karazamov, dead souls, and utopia for a pound a piece in the local Oxfam earlier. Great haul

That's some score, mine are all 2nd or 3rd hand cheap paperbacks

Got Morrissey's autobiography for Christmas. Really enjoying it so far. I'd read Johnny Marr's last week, which was much more of a straightforward take on The Smith's history and beyond, so it's laid the foundations nicely for Morrissey's flowery prose.

Found Marr's to be fairly poorly written, and he could seriously have done with a ghostwriter to draw out more insight and depth, but the book is interesting just because The Smith's (and him) and are so talented so it's great to hear anything about their history.

Morrissey's takes a few pages to adjust to the style, but once you do it's a pleasure to read. So many great lines, and I love that he took on writing his autobiography in the style of classic literature (plus the little joke/egotrip of having it as a Penguin Classic on release...). I've heard it gets a bit insuffrable and whily in the second half, but so far it's great!

#1527 December 30, 2023, 08:02:38 PM Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 08:11:08 PM by Eoin McLove
Just finished Prophet Song. I don't know if I liked it or not. It was ok, I suppose, but a bit one dimensional somehow. I know the story is grim so it's supposed to be heavy but it lacked dynamic. Some of it was very good and the overall concept was creepy, but I found Lynch's poetic style a bit overbearing this time, where I think it worked in Beyond the Sea. To be honest, I had hoped for a lot more from it.

Perhaps because it was all told from one perspective it lost potential depth. There were five or six interesting characters who he could have inhabited to bring it all a bit more to life. Having one protagonist was effective in building a sense of how the system is used to frustrate citizens, but you could achieve that still by giving the perspective of the husband, the two elder sons, the daughter and the father with dementia. Might have been interesting to get their different perspectives and how the family slowly gets torn apart by the "machine".

Got it for Xmas so looking forward to reading it next.

Finished the Scott Burns book there which is brilliant. A must read for death metal fans. I got Shane Embury's autobiography there which I'm really enjoying. Really cool to get the lowdown on the early Napalm Death days. He seems like a sound dude.