I finished re-reading Lessons by Ian McEwan. Not his finest work perhaps but still a good read. I hope there is yet more to come from him.

I've started into Slow Man by J.M. Coetzee which I picked up for half nothing in an op-shop over the new year. I read Youth and Disgrace by him 20 or more years ago. I remember liking them to a degree but cannot remember a single thing now. Luckily I also nabbed a cheap second hand copy of Youth so I'll revisit that later. Slow Man is really good so far (40 pages in). The writing style is right up my street full of subtle humor that may have been a bit too subtle for my younger self.

Joined the library last week with the kids. A great move. Now they are hopping off the books and so am I.

Thank god they forgot about all the ones I never brought back

Quote from: astfgyl on January 26, 2024, 01:02:52 AMJoined the library last week with the kids. A great move. Now they are hopping off the books and so am I.

Thank god they forgot about all the ones I never brought back
It's grand and handy, we all have library cards here too.  I don't use mine much (they haven't had what I have been looking for when I went in) but you can order in books from other Libraries if they have them.  The other two get books every fortnight roughly, grand for the kids books too since most are only a fleeting interest.

I must look it up again but using your library card you can get digital magazines, ebooks and audiobooks for free too.

Working my way through Leningrad-State of Siege by Michael Jones. He does a great job of getting deep into the details without it feeling like you're reading a textbook

Also makes you wonder how the USSR became such a power with the vast amount of incompetence and political backstabbing going on

Picked up The Silence Of The Lambs, Hannibal and Hannibal Rising along with Stephen Kings Four Past Midnight in the charity shop today. Looking forward to getting stuck into them somewhere down the line. Have quite the tower of yet to be read books to pick from once I've finished up Salems Lot!

Get Red Dragon too, great read. Don't be in any rush to read Hannibal Rising, it's not great.

Picked up second hand copies of :

Cujo (Stephen King): Apparently King was so monged when he wrote it that he can't remember writing it.

1984 (George Orwell): My copy dates from 1984 no less. Classic.

I read both of those around the same time, fifth year in school (1993). Enjoyed both, but the manifesto section in 1984 is torturous.

I gave up on 1984. It's an interesting idea but it's not fun to read

Currently reading Liam Lynch: To Declare a Republic by Gerard Shannon which makes a nice change of pace from Charles Townshend's The Republic which is far too detailed.

Also reading Lost River by J. Todd Scott, a fictional novel about the opioid crisis in Appalachia. It's very gritty, the writing reminds me of Don Winslow - the author is a DEA agent so the stories feel authentic.

Quote from: Carnage on January 27, 2024, 02:50:33 AMI read both of those around the same time, fifth year in school (1993). Enjoyed both, but the manifesto section in 1984 is torturous.

Ya. Had to labour through the manifesto at a rate of a few pages a day for however long it took.

It helps in terms of understanding the book as a whole, but I'd probably skip it on a reread.

Quote from: leatherface on January 26, 2024, 10:28:49 PMPicked up second hand copies of :

Cujo (Stephen King): Apparently King was so monged when he wrote it that he can't remember writing it.

1984 (George Orwell): My copy dates from 1984 no less. Classic.

I just re-read Animal Farm at the weekend. So good. Always slightly preferred it to 1984. Depressing as fuck though. I was about to say it's even more relevant today than when it was written, but I think, sadly, it's super relevant in absolutely any era. The part with Boxer always gets me, although it's a mix of sad and infuriating throughout. Also put me in the mood to watch The Death of Stalin.

Just read JG Ballard's 'High Rise ' again which reminded me to order more of his stuff, I've only the three on the shelves
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Mooncat on January 31, 2024, 04:32:57 PMI just re-read Animal Farm at the weekend. So good. Always slightly preferred it to 1984. Depressing as fuck though. I was about to say it's even more relevant today than when it was written, but I think, sadly, it's super relevant in absolutely any era. The part with Boxer always gets me, although it's a mix of sad and infuriating throughout. Also put me in the mood to watch The Death of Stalin.

Animal Farm is a great little read. Flew through it in an afternon. The Death of Stalin is a masterpiece  :laugh: